The online racing simulator
Mafia II
(231 posts, started )
Someone mentioned that there are no races? Not a single one...

I loved the whole thing in the first game, although the race wasn't that enjoyable, and somehow i blindly expected this to be a part of the new one too...

I mean what's the point of making an advanced driving model and then not even support wheels (or am i missinformed?).
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I was just having a read of the 2K Forums for Mafia 2. Everyone is in an absolute uproar about the game. Multiple people have canceled there pre-orders after hearing how short the Story is (1 Guy completed it in Hard Mode in 8 hours. 8!!) and the lack of Free-Roam etc. Now lot's of people are complaining of the PS3 version suffering from having a bad port.

Apparently, the PS3 version (compared to the 360 and PC versions) has no Grass, No Motion-Blur, No Blood, Clothes have no Physics and many other things.

There's some really unhappy bunnies over there. I hope this doesn't affect 2K's business in any way.

Well sucks, but thanks for the heads up, Imma go get the PC version instead then.
Quote from JazzOn :Someone mentioned that there are no races? Not a single one...

I loved the whole thing in the first game, although the race wasn't that enjoyable, and somehow i blindly expected this to be a part of the new one too...

Yeah... Imma troll on yoo, and remind you how FRIGGIN AWESOME IT WAS to steal a racecar and blast through the streets at night, feeling the beast that it is None of that in M2

On a side note : This game barely scores 8/10 on my board, mostly due to physics (phys-X, not the car driving ones), atmosphere, graphics, and the characters (not the storyline, cause "oops let's do something Don will never find out to get ourselves killed off" has been done before by some other game with a similar name, but without any numbers)
Quote from JazzOn :Someone mentioned that there are no races? Not a single one...

As far as I rememver people raged at that mission calling it one of the worst...
So I guess they learned their leasson.

But yeah, it was fun, even though I was stuck on it for like a day.... (Always ended up rolling)

Also, my thoughts on M2.

Like all reviewers have already said, the game is very linear. Just a long corridor with some doors half way through that open smaller corridors.

The story was predictable, but I still enjoyed it. It had those "damn" moments, and those "die bit..." which I like.
However, it has to be said I did not feel like a real mafijozo with plenty of power, cash and freedom. More like a street thug...

The gameplay itself gets boring after a while. Run, cover, shoot. The AI is pretty retarded too I thought...

The fighting mechanics are actually bad. I shall eat my words when I said they're one of the best/enjoyable. The prison part really started to annoy me when all I did was hold "Space" and press my mouse button once in a while.

The graphics are beautiful. The city is great. Dont know what all reviewers where expecting in terms of, "alive"... The game is set in the 50s... What else will the pedestrians do? They talk, interact amongst themselves, respond to your actions etc.

Bah, what to expect from a gaming website that gave MW2 10/10...

No free roaming is a big, big hit... 2K deserve a slap for not implementing it. But since it has such a big "demand" I am almost certain it will be a DLC to make even more money. Not very nice IMO...

No multiplayer either... Again, most likely will be DLC....

Cars are decent. Weapons, not so much. Where are my baseball bats?

Could of done with atleast one boat though...

Anyway, I was disappointed with it. The demo set high hopes, but the final game did not deliver...

I would of prefered if they just updated the original game to 2010 standards to be honest...

Quite a lot of things did not feel right. And I agree, the story is a bit too short. But then again, all of them were very well done and detailed, so I can kind of see where the time went.

One of the best games I played in past couple years? Yes.
Better than Mafia? No.
Best game of 2010? Very unlikely.
Glad I didn't pre-order this game now, how did they end up making a game with less content than the first one? I guess I will have to wait for Rockstar to destroy it with L.A Noire.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver : I guess I will have to wait for Rockstar to destroy it with L.A Noire.

Yeah, I think LA Noirse will be awesome.

I liked Mafia II, but like others said, it's very predictable and linear. I liked most of it thought, especially the first mission in the snow and dark, the atmosphere was just amazing, and the graphics were just awesome. but later on all missions were just looking the same, someone did something, me and Joe shoot loads of people, and we get money.
Also the end was just weird, it felt open, and unfinished. If I should rate this, it won't be 10/10, if you give this a 10/10, you would be a fanboy or something, becaue like DevilDare said, there is no multiplayer, and no free roam after you completed it, quite bad...
I would be more kind if I waited for this like a year, two... NOT EIGHT YEARS FOR 10 HOURS GAMEPLAY with no free-roam... This is too much mainstream.
Quote from Mysho :I would be more kind if I waited for this like a year, two... NOT EIGHT YEARS FOR 10 HOURS GAMEPLAY with no free-roam... This is too much mainstream.

Deadly crazy stunts to get bonus hot rods kept me in Mafia 1 for a VERY long time...
Quote :You can free roam at almost any point during the missions. If you want to play a separate mode that's more focused on free roaming, you can do that in both the PS3's free DLC and also the Jimmy's Vendetta DLC.

Damn you 2K!
Indeed.

You can shove that excuse where the sun dont shine.
I'll join the unsatisfied wagen, this isn't what i expected.. despite trying ignore all the "trolling" in the beginning, it turned out that those "trolls" were right. Fancy graphics and few good moments won't save it. I feel raped and sad at the same moment.
I'll still buy it for PS3 once I get paid.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'll still buy it for PS3 once I get paid.

I know nothing about Macs so excuse me if I sound stupid but, couldn't you just buy it for PC and put it on your Mac? Not only will you be able to Mod the game (as there will inevitably be Mods eventually) but you also won't have to suffer with the PS3's problems with Mafia 2, providing your Mac is powerful enough of course.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I know nothing about Macs so excuse me if I sound stupid but, couldn't you just buy it for PC and put it on your Mac? Not only will you be able to Mod the game (as there will inevitably be Mods eventually) but you also won't have to suffer with the PS3's problems with Mafia 2, providing your Mac is powerful enough of course.

I could. I played the demo quite a bit.. but meh.. if I have the potential for free roam on my PS3.. why not?

Maybe I'll do a Bioshock and buy it for 3 platforms.. or TF2.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I could. I played the demo quite a bit.. but meh.. if I have the potential for free roam on my PS3.. why not?

Maybe I'll do a Bioshock and buy it for 3 platforms.. or TF2.

Well, Free-Roam could also come to the PC and 360 too as I doubt they would do it for one platform. I was just saying it because the PS3 has suffered a terrible port and when comparing it to the 360 and PC, it really does make you notice the difference.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Well, Free-Roam could also come to the PC and 360 too as I doubt they would do it for one platform. I was just saying it because the PS3 has suffered a terrible port and when comparing it to the 360 and PC, it really does make you notice the difference.

Who knows. I'm 1/2 tempted to just skip over it, and buy something like RUSE when it comes out. Or save my money for Fallout: New Vegas or NHL11.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Who knows. I'm 1/2 tempted to just skip over it, and buy something like RUSE when it comes out. Or save my money for Fallout: New Vegas or NHL11.

Why not do what I'm gonna do? Rent it out and complete it (if you want), then once you have handed it back, just forget about it until Free-Roam or Multiplayer arrives.

It would only cost me £6 to rent it for a week. I would rather do that instead of paying £30-£40, completing it, having nothing to do after, which means that Mafia 2 will just be a pretty plastic ornament in my cabinet.

EDIT: BTW Dawes, we should give ourselves a pat on the back. This is the first time we have managed to interchange more than 2 posts between each other, without it turning into a Xbox vs. PS3 argument.
Mostly because I'm being forced into buying a 360. It's only 100$ so who cares if it breaks/I smash it witha hammer. My boss wants someone to play games against.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Mostly because I'm being forced into buying a 360.

Your coming to the Dark Side?!

Don't worry though, you will enjoy it. Even though I don't have a PS3 anymore, I'm not afraid to admit that I did enjoy it sometimes. I just use the 360 more, hence why I sold the PS3.

If you do get a 360, make sure you got the usual things like HD Cables and whatnot, and when you come around to getting Xbox Live, send me a PM. I know a guy who could do you a 12 Months subscription for Half Price. Also, if it's the first gen white ones, expect it to sound like a Jet Engine at full throttle.
I'll still be predominantly a PS3 gamer. THe one I'm buying is one of the later model Elites (although I'm still tempted to just go out and buy one of the new ones). HDMI cable isn't a big deal, I'll be switching between my PS3 and 360 anyways.

Xbox Live.. Hell, depending on how soon I plan on getting it, I might just add it to my Live account now (Games For Windows Live FTW ).
#96 - PoVo
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :..... Also, if it's the first gen white ones, expect it to sound like a Jet Engine at full throttle.

It's actually quite rare to get the 1st Gen ones, which don't even have a HDMI connection.

I modified my 360 fans before (5-6 Volts to 12 Volts), turned it on and got so angry I undid the mod right away. At the moment I have a extra 12 cm~ fan on the side of my 360 pulling air in at the GPU, and I have to say it's not that loud, unless you play games with 0 volume.

Anyway, enjoy the 360 if you get it (@ dawesdust)
I'll still enjoy my PS3 more. There's just a few games (Alan Wake) that I wanna play, and 100$ for the console is dirt cheap.
In other news, my 360 died last night.

Anyway, back to free roaming. Their way of "select a mission and free roam that way" is complete bollocks. When I free roam, I like to mess around, and when I mess around, I end up dying quite frequently. Now it would be kind of "ok" I guess if I didnt have to sit through and watch vito get out of bed, then answer the damn phone and get dressed before I can leave the house!

It gets really annoying...

To me that factor alone ruined the game. Now I dont even want to turn it on and play because I will actually explode if I have to watch those cutscenes again.
#99 - PoVo
Quote from DevilDare :In other news, my 360 died last night.

Getting a new one? Or doing a D.I.Y fix?
Screw Microsoft. Not buying a new one.

Already ordered the "fix kit" for £5. Will fix it myself.

Mafia II
(231 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG