The online racing simulator
Dirt 3
(105 posts, started )
I love Dirt 3.

I agree with others on physics. Its a good balance that provides a lot of fun.

The graphics are nice, and the game is pretty well optimised. Certainly on my machine, which is getting pretty old by now, I can get 50+ FPS on medium/high settings. Couldn't do that ont Dirt 2 if I remember correctly.

The menu is also better. The prisms are much easier to navigate and it just allows you to jump into a race straight away without any unnecessary hassle. However, I hate the Dirt Tour narrators. Why cant I skip them?! Its stupid, and just wastes my time.

Also was happy to see the game focusing more on its roots, which is proper rallying. I dont understand those who say the roads are too wide though. I think they are just fine for a game... In some cases even, the Sweden rally for example, can get pretty tight! I think its just fine because it allows for a wider audience to pick the game up and enjoy it. "Simracers" need to remember that no game company will make a game/sim just for us...

Gymkhana is a fun little addition too. Good mode to just mess around with.

Overall, very good game IMO.
I find the controls on PC a bit.. well, undrivable? With a 360 gamepad, it's way too twitchy and nervous, and with G25 I have to turn over 180 degrees either way for it to register the steering input at all. Deadzones are at 0%.

Graphically, I think it's the best looking game I've seen yet. Looks truly fantastic and runs great too.
#53 - DeKo
Pretty cool bit from the readme, I had no idea LFS was a standard for motion platforms.

Quote :If your system has a motion platform, then DiRT 3 should be able to control it. This feature is completely untested beyond checking that the basic data output is correct, and as such should be used entirely at your own risk. The output format is designed to be compatible with the "Live for Speed" outsim motion platform format. To enable, just open the hardware_settings_config.XML file and edit the motion attributes:

Where is the cheapest place I can get the PC version? Steam is £29.99 which is too much tbh

Anyone know somewhere cheaper?
#55 - mr_x
Quote from lukelfs :Where is the cheapest place I can get the PC version? Steam is £29.99 which is too much tbh

Anyone know somewhere cheaper?

Steam did have it on offer at £26.99 with Dirt 2 for free pre-release. If you already had Dirt 2 on steam you got it to gift to a friend. Sold mine for a fiver.

PC is digital download only, so there's steam or D2D I think. But it is well worth the money I think It's still cheaper than console too!
Im not a fan of the lack of rally stages but then again i dont own the game.
I played it at a game store today couldnt hear any pace notes and it probs had all the assist on.
I was amused by it, but i did like the potential of it.

But i just cant get away from the graphics and interface just reminding me of a Mix between Grid and the previous Dirt games.
Quote from Matrixi :I find the controls on PC a bit.. well, undrivable? With a 360 gamepad, it's way too twitchy and nervous, and with G25 I have to turn over 180 degrees either way for it to register the steering input at all. Deadzones are at 0%.

Graphically, I think it's the best looking game I've seen yet. Looks truly fantastic and runs great too.

G25 here too, reacts perfectly and I never turn the wheel more than around 100 degrees in either direction.. For me it didn't save the deadzones the first time I set them at 0, maybe try again And play with the linearity (mine's 7).
I got damn disappointed with this game... I played DiRT 2 with a cheapish controller (not everyone's got the money to buy a 50+$ controller) and the car was going pretty well. Here I can't get the analog steering from my analog sticks. I must turn them like 1mm to get the car's wheel to the half and everything else is to the end... Also the physics of the car seem too hard when you turn off the steering assist.. (actually haven't even tried it with steering assist, don't like it)

But the graphics, the damage, and the gymkhana are still great...

I'd give it a 4/10...
I like it very much! Gymkhana is better than I though, great for learning the car control.

Only minus is that DFGT calibration sucks ass. I had to put linearity to -10 and still the wheel isnt straight

EDIT: oh and someone change the title, its only Dirt 3
have played this for three days now and finally got the dirt tour finished. I really like this game a lot, i would say it beats the GT5 by far. But some of the gymkhana "attacks" are rubbish like the robot attack.
but still almost perfect game (I hate the psn because the store is under maintainence and I can't put the VIP-pass code and pre-order rewards cause of it -.- )
Oh and 1 thing yet:

The mp FPS IS HORRIBLE. SRSLY WTF? I have like 50 fps in sp but in mp under 10! Why CM cant make a complete game EVEN ONCE???? Also after testing the MP also SP is lagging now. **** THIS SHIT
Too bad the musical atmosphere of dirt 2 is totally gone :/
#64 - Uke
Quote from E.Reiljans :Too bad the musical atmosphere of dirt 2 is totally gone :/

The music in Dirt 2 was something I would really hate to listen trough my mp3 player or something, but it was quite catchy and I actually once noticed one of the songs being stuck on my head, I think it was rise against or something.
Loving the game so far, the online party modes are a lot of fun. I've posted a few videos on my channel to show my mates what the gameplay is really like on the xbox.

Head to Head in the rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... ature=channel_video_title

Smash Gymkhana Tutorial (platinum)

Norway Trailblazer in the snow

Head to Head in Monaco at night

Tyre failure due to damage + resulting crash

I love Trailblazer. One of the Michigan stages is so fun in the PM580.
I love those gate runs on the Gymkhana tracks, thanks to those I'm unbeatable on Transporter when I get the flag.
Gymkhana is so bloody difficult. I can't do donuts. I find it really hard to get the rear to step out.

Quote from RasmusL :G25 here too, reacts perfectly and I never turn the wheel more than around 100 degrees in either direction.. For me it didn't save the deadzones the first time I set them at 0, maybe try again And play with the linearity (mine's 7).

Try this mate.
http://www.racedepartment.com/ ... for-dirt3.html#post829786

I am using this and it's pretty decent.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Gymkhana is so bloody difficult. I can't do donuts. I find it really hard to get the rear to step out.

Use handbrake on approach of donut thingy, then, steer like your car is understeering (dam physics).
People seems to like mp very much....too bad that it doesnt work for some people LIKE ME GOD ****ING DAMMIT
Nice videos there Quicksilver.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Use handbrake on approach of donut thingy, then, steer like your car is understeering (dam physics).

Yeah I tried that and most of the time I just end up losing control :S

ps. They need to have more rally stages.

and where can I buy Richard Burns Rally? I heard its the best rally sim out there.
Fixed the link!

Donuts are easy. Turn in sharply, shift down, handbrake, and straight back on the power. If you start losing the slide, just shift up. Always works for me.

Dirt 3
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG