The online racing simulator
LFS or X-plane networking - private network
We are running into a simiiar problem with LFS.

Strangely, my buddy can connect to my machine when I start a server / host (not dedicated ... just a multiplayer host), but when he starts the host (behind his XP firewall), I can't connect ..(just get "timed out").

He DID receive the windows "allow unblocking dialog" etc, when he started the network-host from his LFS client.

I thought that "unblock" message was XP's firewall's way of "port forwarding" ? If not, is there a registry setting or something else that needs to be tweaked ?

--------------------------------

Is anyone here running x-plane or an LFS server behind a firewall, and able to network / multiplayer with it?

I'm trying to set it up, and the issue seems to be that the client want's the actual (private) i.p. of the other client, which of course is not visible.

This is on two windows XP boxes (one "pro", the other "home") .. the "home" machine is the one with the private network.

I've read some mention of "port forwarding", but apparently Windoze is supposed to automatically handle that.

And indeed with LFS it does just that (As LFS is running / connecting fine to the LFS server from behind the firewall).

I the difference between x-plane / LFS is the "external" server for LFS, vs the "peer-peer" connection of x-plane ?

Mike
LFS Host behind firewall - Solved !
Not that there seems to be a great deal of interest in this thread, or the answer was "obvious" to some of you, but I found the answer !

http://articles.techrepublic.c ... 100-10878_11-1056226.html

The magic keywords "reverse port forwarding" led me to the article.

"Configuring Server Publishing" and "Creating new Service Definitions" are the Microsoft terms for "reverse port forwarding"

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG