The online racing simulator
LFS on OSX (working)
(20 posts, started )
LFS on OSX (working)
hi. It's working with Crossover 8.0, but have some issues with shadows, did someone tryed run it with Crossover 9.0? maybe there is better?

And, did someone tryed to do Cider port?

Wow

Tryed to choose between standard and alternate shadows?
#3 - Ziroh
haha xD Nice shadows!! :P
yup this what you see its last option, with option no 2 there is no shadows, same as with no shadows option.
#5 - TiJay
Damn you, I'm going to be up all night playing Mario All-Stars now...
Quote from TG_LFSPL :http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3599/lfs2.png

i've seen wine do this, regardless of lfs version... i'm more inclined to say it's the video card drivers though.

wild guess, ati video card?
... Crossover doesn't actually perform so well...

You're better off to go look for a version of WINE (there's a pre-packaged one for OSX now).. along with the updated version of x11 (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki).

Combined, they play LFS with decent visual fidelity and speed. Nothing to write home about though.

Cider.. I dunno, I gave it a try before.. but it's really too much work to do, when it'll still suck compared to playing it in Windows (no FFB on my G25, only 270 degree rotation)
incredibly FPS rate when you are stopped and no other car in vew!!

Go to windows if you want to play... I understand that OS X is better to work but... to play windows
Quote from Napalm Candy :incredibly FPS rate when you are stopped and no other car in vew!!

i'd be willing to bet would get a big increase of frames if he turned shadows off... it helped a little bit with me.

other settings might help there too, such as turning off haze and a couple other settings.
It's a lot of things too. WINE isn't great, and Crossover is just WINE in a different package (heck, crossover is just a fork of WINE, and they even push some of their changes back up stream to WINE).

WINE sucks up some FPS.. not to mention Apple kinda have shit the bed when it comes to GPU drivers... Until now, there haven't been really any high-class games.. so they haven't done such a great job with GPU drivers.. but now that Source games are trickling out in OSX.. they might pick it up.
I back dawesdust on this. WINE is most likely the best choice if you seriously want to play some windows games on Mac. But I suggest building it yourself rather than using a package, you're less likely to run into some linking problems and the recent version of WINE 1.2 is so damn great that I might actually keep in on my Linux lappy for a while
Quote from dawesdust_12 :WINE sucks up some FPS.. not to mention Apple kinda have shit the bed when it comes to GPU drivers... Until now, there haven't been really any high-class games.. so they haven't done such a great job with GPU drivers.. but now that Source games are trickling out in OSX.. they might pick it up.

I thought NVidia/AMD make drivers? Or it's different with OS X?
It's the OpenGL implementation in MacOS that sucks... it is also quite possible that MacOS versions of the graphics drivers aren't as polished as Windows or even Linux versions because there wasn't any real need for top performance in 3D.
shadows turned into alternate:

better, but still shitty

and yes, ati x1600 macbook pro model 2.2

core 2 duo 2,16
2gb ddr2

and soooo much fps, lol. i got win7, but i wants to play in lfs in travel or something sometimes
I just use bootcamp to XP, I get around 150fps with all aa/af enabled

unibody mid-09, 3.06ghz
Quote from MadCatX :It's the OpenGL implementation in MacOS that sucks... it is also quite possible that MacOS versions of the graphics drivers aren't as polished as Windows or even Linux versions because there wasn't any real need for top performance in 3D.

The OpenGL implementation is fine.

It's seriously the drivers.. Valve when developing Source for Mac traced it.. it's the drivers that aren't so strong.
#17 - PoVo
Wow! Some nice shadows there. Personally 25 FPS is too low for me
Honestly.. it runs better in WINE with the new X11. Follow my post above. On my 2010 MBP, I get atleast 30 FPS.. shadows look correct and everything.

Still prefer it in windows.. simply because you can't afford such a low FPS.
Well, I can get as much as 130 FPS with WINE 1.2 on my lappy running T9550 (2.66GHz) and GF9800GTS under Arch64, on full details and 1440x900 that is. Unless WINE of X11 port for MacOS is really broken, I guess you could get at least over 50 - 60 FPS...
#20 - Woz
Dual boot. It is pointless to try this sort of stuff for games. For the performance you get you might as well go but a cheap 6 year old computer just for games as it will perform better lol

LFS on OSX (working)
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG