The online racing simulator
What you think...
(38 posts, started )
What you think...
Another story from me... Well actually, just going tu sum it up and ask what you think on it.

Me and 5 other friends were just sitting in the park chatting when all of a sudden 2 men and a women (Around 40+) start having a go at us. "Why are you speaking in your shitty language in our country!!!!"
I was playing calm and just told her to move on, but this wasnt clear to hear. She runs up to me and starts shouting in my face. The 2 guys walk up and start throwing their hands around. My mate steps in and tries to move him away but gets a quick headbutt out of nowhere. Another friend then pushes the guy and kicks him in the legs which makes him fall over. The women starts shouting, they all get up and walk off, spouting shit that they will bring a knive and "slit" us all. Cool story bro.

Meanwhile a girl (who was with us) called the cops while it was all happening. They quickly turned up and we explained what happened. We had evidence that they assaulted us so it was all good. They said they will look around and call if something comes up.

Anyway, here comes my question; What do you think of foreigners speaking other languages? Does it piss you off?

My simple explanation to the woman was - So what happens when you go on holiday? Do you speak their language too? She didnt have an answer and just stared at me...

But yeah, what do you think?

(Please dont give me lectures on what should of been done... They were lucky I was there or the 2 "hard-guys" would of regreted they started throwing punches... I calmed everyone down before it got nasty.... For some reason my friends listen to me. :razz
#2 - amp88
Quote from DevilDare :Anyway, here comes my question; What do you think of foreigners speaking other languages? Does it piss you off?

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me.

Quote from DevilDare :But yeah, what do you think?

Some people are racist/xenophobic idiots and nothing's gonna change it. A while in a cell might help though.
Quote from amp88 :Doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me.

Some people are racist/xenophobic idiots and nothing's gonna change it. A while in a cell might help though.

+1

Only reasonable opinion, IMO.
I'd call you beaner.

On a more serious opinion, that kind of people is just dumb, try to ignore them.
Thats exactly how we all see it.

When there is an English guy in a group we always speak in English... I understand its disrespectful not to do so... But we were all Lithuanians away from anyone else....

I guess some people are just like that then...
the language barrier might be the problem. they don't know what you're saying... for all they know, you could have said that they fornicate their mothers or something.
well they were retards for doing what they did, god know what they were on

anyways, when people speak different languages here, if they are clearly immagrants that dont know english well or anything like that, then i understand. but when they know english, but still try to change the whole country to speak their language i get a little irritated. its people like them that are the reason that road signs are half spanish in some places in the country i live in
Quote from logitekg25 :if they are clearly immagrants that dont know english well or anything like that, then i understand. but when they know english, but still try to change the whole country to speak their language i get a little irritated. its people like them that are the reason that road signs are half spanish in some places in the country i live in

I have to disagree with you there, I don't give them any less blame if they don't know english. If they move to the US, they should realize that we speak english here.
well if they are, say, in the mall with their family. they want to talk amongst themselves, i understand if they are talking in their native language, the one that they know far better, and understand far better. they should be making an effort to make english their main language (if they are in an english speaking country).

or if they JUST moved from their origional country that spoke another language. they might know very minimal english, but they are far better off speaking their native language amongst people who accept it.

it just depends how much tolerance you have i guess
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from logitekg25 :well if they are, say, in the mall with their family. they want to talk amongst themselves, i understand if they are talking in their native language, the one that they know far better, and understand far better. they should be making an effort to make english their main language (if they are in an english speaking country).

or if they JUST moved from their origional country that spoke another language. they might know very minimal english, but they are far better off speaking their native language amongst people who accept it.

it just depends how much tolerance you have i guess

Absolutely right - I can't see myself having the right to declare what language other people should use when talking to each other.

Obviously they should learn the main language spoken in their area of residence (I planned on explaining this but it would take too much time ).
especially if its a private matter, or something they dont feel like everyone around them knowing

but its always good to stop speaking their origional language to get rid of that accent
What I actually hate is the russians in Estonia who don´t know even 1 word in Estonian, and expect all the estonians to speak russian instead of them learning estonian....
When the Russians speak Estonian, then I have no problem with them.
Quote from bmwe30m3 :What I actually hate is the russians in Estonia who don´t know even 1 word in Estonian, and expect all the estonians to speak russian instead of them learning estonian....

The same issue here in the US. Except, it isn't with Russians...
Well, russians talking russian in our country does piss me off. It looks like 50% of estonia consists of russians who cant speak estonian. I would like to get the hell out of here asap.

Edit:
Quote from bmwe30m3 :What I actually hate is the russians in Estonia who don´t know even 1 word in Estonian, and expect all the estonians to speak russian instead of them learning estonian....

+1

But i would have no problem with them if they would go back to theyr motherland.
Well, I guess it's always sad to face and be attacked by this kind of xenophobic morons. These guys lack so much of any kind of pragmatic sence that they couldn't realise that 3 vs 6 wasn't going to end up well for them.

Anyway, glad you found that argument about tourism. The fact that the woman didn't find any answer is quite significative. This kind of people are usually not based on any logic(or very biased ones perhaps), but only on ridiculous fears on things they don't know - the Lithuanian language in this case.

Sadly, xeophobism isn't a new thing, and it's probably not gonna end tomorrow.
#16 - AMB
If you are living in our country, you speak OUR language, if we live in your country we learn YOUR language, holidays etc are different, we don't expect you to learn it, but who would want to come to the UK on a holiday anyway? it sucks.
Here in the US, what SidiousX and logitekg25 are speaking of doesn't bother me in the least. I live right near a highly traveled interstate in which at the only gas station I have local for me is packed with foreigners. I have no idea what nationality they are, but they come in very nice cars, dressed very nice, and pull out wads of cash to pay for their stuff. When I say wads, I'm talking 3 inch thick at least of folded in half bills. I wish I knew where they got their money and where they are all traveling to because I'd like in on it too, but.....

Folks speaking their languages doesn't bother me. I've worked through the years with several folks from Japan and several folks from Mexico. Japan is where the parent company is, and we frequently have folks from our Mexico plant visit. My previous boss was from Japan and he took the joking well when he would talk to us, in English, and we would joke about not understanding him. The guys from Mexico would start talking amongst themselves and we'd jokingly yell at them that we speak English in this country.

What bothers me is, any time I have to call anywhere on the phone, I have to sit and listen to everything on the automated system in English, then listen to it all in Spanish. It drives me crazy when I have to listen to "For blah blah blah, press 1." then it repeats in Spanish. "For blah blah blah, press 2" then repeats in Spanish, and I have to listen to all of it because inevitably it will be the option 7 that I need. Even products on the store shelves, everything is written in English, then in Spanish underneath it. It's not the folks that are hear legally that is the problem, it is the damn government catering to the illegal immigrants as they are the ones who can't speak the language of this country.
Quote from AMB :If you are living in our country, you speak OUR language, if we live in your country we learn YOUR language, holidays etc are different, we don't expect you to learn it, but who would want to come to the UK on a holiday anyway? it sucks.

I'm sorry. Please do explain how they are different?
#19 - AMB
Because your not LIVING in the country, so there's not much need, but if your living in England or whatever, then you should speak English? if your visiting it is understandable, if I was moving to Spain lets say, I'd learn Spanish but when I go on holiday etc, I'll only learn a few useful words in the countries language, e.g thank you, hello, basic greetings....
Sorry. Thats bullshit.

First of all, every single one of us knew English. But why should we be forced to speak it when there are no English people around? Doesnt matter if I live in that country or not...

Same thing applies when you're on holiday. You are living in that country for whatever time your holiday is. Speak their language then.
Going by this principle I should speak English with my family in our house as well then...?
#21 - AMB
The thing is, when people walk passed others who speak in a different language some people think they are talking about them.... and anyway, if there wasn't anyone around why did your friend get nutted? did they sneak up on you? or do they go hunting for 'foreigners'
Well you tell me. We were chatting and they walked by and started giving us lessons...

They were the ones who started everything...
Quote from AMB :...holidays etc are different...

Quote from DevilDare :I'm sorry. Please do explain how they are different?

It's obvious that visiting a country on holiday is different to establishing residence in a country for a prolonged period of time. I really think you should stop responding with such hostility every time someone expresses an opinion which is different to yours. Why ask for opinions if you only want people to agree with you? Back on topic; you can't possibly expect people to learn a foreign language just for the benefit of a week-long holiday.

I personally prefer people living in England to speak English but I don't have strong feelings on the matter. I do however think it would be wrong to relocate to a country with the intention of living there long-term without learning the local language. I'm not sure how common that is, though.
#24 - 5haz
You confused and upsetted their simple minds, thats mean. :rolleyes:
Quote from joshdifabio :It's obvious that visiting a country on holiday is different to establishing residence in a country for a prolonged period of time. I really think you should stop responding with such hostility every time someone expresses an opinion which is different to yours. Why ask for opinions if you only want people to agree with you? Back on topic; you can't possibly expect people to learn a foreign language just for the benefit of a week-long holiday.

Uhm.... I have every right to disagree with someone.... Its called having a discussion, you know...?

Quote :I personally prefer people living in England to speak English but I don't have strong feelings on the matter. I do however think it would be wrong to relocate to a country with the intention of living there long-term without learning the local language. I'm not sure how common that is, though.

Yes, ofcourse. That is absolutely fine. And as I said before, every single one of us knows how to speak English. The fact is, no English people were around us. (Except when walking past...)
Its much easier for us to talk in our native language... No matter how well you know another language, you wont be necessarily able to express yourself on some topics like you would in your mother tongue.

I agree though. When in a group with other people, it is disrespectful to talk in another language that they cannot understand.

But yeah, I got it. It bothers some and doesnt make a differnce to others. Shocker.

What you think...
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG