The online racing simulator
New System?
(6 posts, started )
New System?
Ok first of, I know this should probably be in the Hardware section, but hardly anyone goes there. When I’ve got a load of responses any mod fell free to move it there

Ok, can someone explain what is meant by "Entry Level" computers and how the hell they come to that decision?

I currently have:

Windows 7 32bit OS
AMD Althron X64 3800+ (Dual Core) 2.0GHz 512klb Cache
2048mb of Single Channel 400Mhz DDR ram (2x 512 1x1024)
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb of dedicated DDR3 ram
120 GB standard Hard Drive (NOT SATA)

So by today’s standard this is a crap system (excluding the 9800GT) probably won’t even be classed as "Entry Level". However, on the system I can run Crysis on max settings at 1280 - 1024 and DX10 at around 20 - 25 FPS. That’s not magical, but its playable and for an old system I think it's brilliant.

This is the new system I have just got:

Windows 7 64bit OS
AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8Ghz, 2MB Cache)
2048MB Dual Channel DDR3 ram (2x 1024)
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb of dedicated DDR3 ram
320GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

This is my point, this new system I have just got was only £299 and is classed as an "Entry Level" system, but the specs of this system are superior to that of my old one. So it should run crysis at 40+ fps on max settings? If so what's the point in spending so much more on a gaming system when you don't really need to?
Wait 2 months, then play the latest game that just came out.

Is that 9800GT from your old computer? That is why you can play. I highly doubt you can buy a computer today with a 9800GT in it, thus your new computer was probably onboard video and not capable of playing Crysis.

I can't even play LFS on my computer with onboard graphics. About the best I could run is Nascar Racing 2003. Anything newer than that and I'm toast. Even FS9 doesn't run very well.

I put a card in it (I overheated the card a while back) and it wasn't even a very good card. I went from unplayable LFS to 90 FPS, unplayable FS9 to unlimited FPS, NR2003 I can run well enough with lowered settings, but was completely maxed with the GFX card. Even TDU and GTASA ran fantastic with the crappy cheap card. On the onboard, both of those are slideshow video.
The new system is called "entry-level" because that CPU is one of the cheapest ones currently available. It's true that it's better than your old one, but it's not THAT much better, remember that clock-speed isn't everything. Also, you can't compare computers build so many years apart. Your old one was built about 5 years ago or so? Back then it wasn't considered an entry-level computer, it was actually a better computer. Of course, technology improves over time, so you can't call it a sub-entry-level computer these days, you can only call it obsolete. Anyway, if you put in a Phenom II X6 and a GeForce 495 or Radeon 5970 in your computer you'll see right away what the difference between entry-level and high-end computers is.
One thing I've been curious about is the performance of the new i5/i7 range of processors and how they compare to the older Q6600s for example.

So say, if my current Q6600 is running at 3.3ghz, and the newer i5/i7s are also running at 3.3ghz, then what (if any) is the difference?

I think I spent about 5 minutes searching for this answer online a while back, and turned up nothing.

Anyone care to enlighten?
[QUOTE=mrodgers;1448538]Wait 2 months, then play the latest game that just came out.

Is that 9800GT from your old computer?

Thanks for the reapplies

Yes that is the 9800 gt from my old system. My old system is around 5 years old as stated, but I can still play games that are new, most of them I can max out as well. So the 2 month thing isn't really a valid point.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :The new system is called "entry-level" because that CPU is one of the cheapest ones currently available. It's true that it's better than your old one, but it's not THAT much better, remember that clock-speed isn't everything. Also, you can't compare computers build so many years apart. Your old one was built about 5 years ago or so? Back then it wasn't considered an entry-level computer, it was actually a better computer. Of course, technology improves over time, so you can't call it a sub-entry-level computer these days, you can only call it obsolete. Anyway, if you put in a Phenom II X6 and a GeForce 495 or Radeon 5970 in your computer you'll see right away what the difference between entry-level and high-end computers is.

Like Red said, you have to match what you want with what you can handle .

New System?
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG