The online racing simulator
What would you define as safe racing?
There are frequent complaints about dangerous drivers on the servers. I am curious to know what other people define as "safe racing". For instance, in a one hour race with 20 drivers what would you consider an acceptable number of loss-of-control incidents (spins or all 4 wheels off the track)? A total of 20, an average of one for each driver? How about contact with other cars which causes that car damage, or loss of control? Would more than a total of 5 such collisions be classified as a crash-fest? What are your opinions?
I consider someone a safe driver when he/she gives room to the other when it's needed. Doesnt make unnecessary contact. Most of the crashes start with little taps and pointless waving and line changing. But this won't change until it's a virtual car you race, it will always be like 'drive it like you stole it'. Sadly.
With no contact from other cars I would expect 0 spins and never more than 2 wheels of the track (tarmac) at any time, if one cannot control the car, one should not be racing it.

As far as contact is concerned I want to say zero contact is acceptable as thats how I race, but many here would say "rubbing is racing" and in a lag free world this would be ok, the slightest rub combined with online lag (only made worse by aireo (IMO)) can turn into a massive force throwing someone off track or into the barriers.

In short all contact should be avoided, especially bumpdrafting, and people should always be in control or their car.

The safest drivers are the ones who look back at you as you look at them while you are passing the look left/right keys are often forgotten by some and they drive like they hotlap, without a care for others "space to race".

SD.
Dave.. I would say the looking is kinda overkill.. Personally i rarely look left/right when being passed, I use my mirrors to detect a move, and once I know that someone is along side me, I think about where they are, and take that into account.

That's also not to say I give up positions like they're a breath of air, I can fight for position, while being clean, and not making contact without looking beside me.
re
I agree with Sparky,,, Clean racing = zero contact... But this is a sim with alot of kids.... If i pass someone after making contact i give position back. Of course sometimes when racing others that you know, its fun to bump and rub a little, but just when playin around..

Great point about the lag factor Dave...If you want clean racing, go to LR race center or IHR....These servers are well monitored and both have experienced regular racers....

KILLFIX
Zero contact is a must, but just because of LFS' flawed collision detection.

Drivers have to give each other room, give in, see when there is no point in defending any longer or when fighting for position (yeah, that FXO may be faster in corner entries, but my RAC gets you on the following straight anyway) is useless.

IMO its mostly the FWD drivers (+FXR, all those cars where the driver has to fight less with the car itself) that cause havoc. Those who plough in T1, just make the corner understeering with wheels at full lock, use your bumper as brake .... etc etc /rant
Because of my crappy connection, I only race online very occasionaly, but when I do, I tend to be quite slower than the rest of the pack. I drive clean, let others overtake me, I don't clog up the turns and I don't block drivers, with or without the blue flag. But I am still slower and all the other racers have to take more care than if I weren't there. Am I a safe driver then?

PS: I usually end up on the podium just because I don't crash and get crashed others. They crash among themselves, hehe

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG