The online racing simulator
AI Cars when racing in Single Player mode
Hey Everyone,

I don't if this happens to you but anyway, when im racing at home against the AI cars, they don't give any room when your overtaking them, they only give room for each other. This started to annoy me when i was racing at Kyoto GP heading into the first corner, i was on the inside but i was pushed onto the kerbing, then heading into turn 2, iwas again pushed off the road when i was on the outside and the AI car didn't give any room.

It could be me being a bit of a crap driver and i'll admit that but the AI really annoying me now. I want to know if this is happening to anyone else, if it is maybe the devs can fix it.
Artificial Intelligence is not an easy field to balance, or create reasonably realistic / believe-able. In any case, work could be done - but I'd rather see more physical changes.
creating AI is not an easy task in any way, so try to ajust to them sucking...if you manage to beat the pro AI starting in the back then you are ready for almost anything any race can throw at you, maybe not speed wise, but not getting crashed
yeah i usally start mid-pack on Quick and i make about 5 or 6 spots off the start. I've done a few on Pro and got about 3 spots off the line.
AIs are funny with RAC. If you manage to take the lead, behaving unpredictable makes them panic, and they'll spin and crash into each other...

In general, they don't give you room, nor do they brake when overtaking you. They just bump you out of the way...
Yes, it's a long discussed subject, AI should be improved.
It's particularely frustrating during the training challenges. How can we be expected to avoid contact when the AI drivers are so wreckless themselves?
#7 - dadge
i think they should be removed. after all, this is an online racing simulator.
Quote from dadge :i think they should be removed. after all, this is an online racing simulator.

Some people still don't have unlimited internet or fast internet, so no, they should not be removed.
#9 - dadge
you don't need either of those to play online.
Quote from lemming77 :It's particularely frustrating during the training challenges. How can we be expected to avoid contact when the AI drivers are so wreckless themselves?

Yeah it's not very fair, the AI drivers simply treat you like you weren't there. But once you've realised that it's possible to adapt to it, because you can predict what they'll do next.

Also this prepares you for the racing quality on most lfs servers.
:hidesbehi
definately dont remove them...when i was a demo racer, and even when i was s2 for a month or two, i had no internet, so i had to rely on the ai for racing.

keep them as is if anything
Quote from dadge :i think they should be removed. after all, this is an online racing simulator.

Not only do the AI drivers provide a means to race offline, as mentioned by others, but they also give people just starting in heavyweight racing simulators something to practice with, rather than dive in at the deep end with a bunch of competitors who're way out of their league.
but with the ai at its current level, i wouldn't call it racing. so even with ai's in the game, offline single player racing cannot be achieved.
What do you mean by "wouldn't call it racing"?
the ai don't even know you're there. so they bump you off the track. if that was a human player, then this wouldn't happen. they have no race craft so they will never try to pass you like a human would. they would never use tactics to try to pass you in the pits. they learn yes. but they don't learn any of the above mentioned.
LFS GHOST was a much better tool for me to learn.
Of course the AI aren't 'human enough' yet .... but ... Scawen has already said many times that he has this on his to do list .... his current priorities are far more important however.

Look for the search feature - u will find it eventually.
After eventually finding the LFSFORUM search function you can use that to search for Scawen's posts

.. or even search for Scawen himself and lookup his previous posts directly on his publicly viewable profile here at LFSFORUM....

Its so easy - my imaginary cat even did it.

I don't mean to be overly sarcastic - but alot of people really really need to read THIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine

It will solve alot of your problems before you even create a thread about it - trust me - it really does...

EDIT - READ http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=28618

Its 3 years old - but some of it has been implemented - the rest only ended up on a to do list .

EG : every now and then something 'is' implemented: here is one example:
Quote from yaper :AI shouldn't stop at the middle of the track after finishing the race.

Which is now solved - amongst many others.

However - I will review anything that is still valid in that thread, remove those fixed, and update a fresh thread about the AI improvements topic - removing anything that seem like bad or useless ideas now .....

-- Additionally - Scawen has mentioned that the AI are benefiting from the Tyre Model update in addition to the Scirroco - He just said it here

So any immediate post about the AI could become invalidated easily if I create a post now - before the next release.

I promise - ill recreate the AI Suggestions thread the very instant I have had the opportunity to test the 0.6A we are all waiting for - and ill bump it continuously. Even though im sure Scawen is already aware of most things that would show up in such a thread anyhow.

I have been driving offline allot lately - but usually not against AI - as opponents can interfere with certain setup testing scenarios.
i know what a search engine is. i've been using this forum for 6 years. i have read most/all update logs. i said to remove the ai because imo they are not at a level ready to be released. this is of course my opinion. yes, include ai cars but for them to be ai they need to also be intelligent and not just artificial.
I've read some of these posts and i understand what you are saying.

It's hard to improve AI cars

In the realworld, cars would give you space

Overtaking in Training lessons is very difficult because you have to do a really good move. This means for less experience drivers, they aren't going to complete the test.

I've noticed that this problem happens in the pits as well. When I stop in the yellow markers, an AI car ramms into the back of me usally putting me in the wrong direction or in a wall. This is really frustrating.

I'm still going with the AI needs to be improved, I'll probably do more multiplayer races online now so you might see me around.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG