The online racing simulator
Selling LFS in stores
(23 posts, started )
Selling LFS in stores
It would be better if LFS were "on the market", so to speak. Possible game systems preferably should be: PS2,3,P...Xbox,360...Wii (maybe)...and definitely PC. By doing so, it would make it easier for racers who want to buy the game but Parents and/or Legal Guardians won't use a credit cars and/or don't have one.
First, LFS is and will only be for PC.
Second, there are LFS CD's, but only in some countries, in some stores, because it is not that popular...
#3 - Jakg
Yes, far easier to recode an entire game for 6 totally different architectures than actually find someone with a credit / debit card and some sense.
The main reason why LFS will never hit the stores is the price. It is far less expensive to provide downloadable version only. CDs, boxes, delivering packages to stores, it all costs a lot of money.
Credit card is not required to buy LFS, if you don't happen to have one, you can use Moneybookers or some mediator to get your license. That's how I did it btw.
[QUOTE=matijapkc; because it is not that popular...[/QUOTE]
I was thinking put it in stores to make it more popular or commercials or commercials in plain!
Quote from matijapkc :Second, there are LFS CD's, but only in some countries, in some stores, because it is not that popular...

Which stores would that be?
Quote from zeugnimod :Which stores would that be?

Ooppsss.... I though that on the "Buy A Licence" page were some stores... But those are websites... Haven't read good enough.
Hehe.

I'm pretty sure that copies of LFS CD's lieing in shelves in a store somewhere don't exist.
Quote from Smashysmashy :I was thinking put it in stores to make it more popular or commercials or commercials in plain!

I fail to see how would selling LFS in classic stores make it more popular. You go to store to buy a game, not to check out what new titles are there. That's what all these gaming magazines are for. It would only make LFS more expensive.
Another problem is the concept of LFS which relies on roll-up constant updates (though the reality begs to differ a bit for last two years ). Releasing new CDs whenever a new patch is out is just not an option and I can see many people complaining about the need to patch LFS after installing it. (World of Warcraft anyone?)

Quote from matijapkc :Second, there are LFS CD's, but only in some countries, in some stores, because it is not that popular...

There was a CD version of LFS waaay back in S1 days, but it was sold in only in Germany and the amount of CD was limited...
Quote from MadCatX :The main reason why LFS will never hit the stores is the price. It is far less expensive to provide downloadable version only. CDs, boxes, delivering packages to stores, it all costs a lot of money.
Credit card is not required to buy LFS, if you don't happen to have one, you can use Moneybookers or some mediator to get your license. That's how I did it btw.

i think you are wrong, in a shop you buy a game, at lfs.net you buy a licence to unlock some stuff. your account is free and can get banned, etc.

big differences !
Quote from hotmail :i think you are wrong, in a shop you buy a game, at lfs.net you buy a licence to unlock some stuff. your account is free and can get banned, etc.

big differences !

I'm not sure I get it. Unless you buy an S1/S2 account, you are limited to demo stuff only. Many games have demos, buying a full version is the same thing as buying S1/S2 account.
You can get banned in almost any online game, no matter how you obtained it, so, sorry, but I just don't see the difference here..,
Don't forget that LFS is still in development. Selling a title in a store would imply that it is a finished product, which it most certainly is not (despite being better than most "finished" products).
Shops? Didn't we had those in the 90's? Recall something vaguely.

About credit cards;

This is the best alternative for people who do not own a credit card. Moneybookers allows you to transfer money from your normal bank account, onto our Moneybookers account, free of charge. Creating a Moneybookers account is also free and no credit card is required at all.
Why not just use PayPal?
Quote from Dygear :Why not just use PayPal?

Requires a credit card? It's not a bank after all. If you have a credit card then yes, paypal is the easiest option probably.
Quote from Silverracer :No, a credit/debit card is not required. In the UK all you need is a bank account that accepts funding instructions (direct debits). A savings account might not work.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin ... l/NewConsumerLink-outside

That is correct sir. I have my account directly linked without my debit / credit card. Works like a charm. You can then get a debit card from PayPal should you so wish, providing you pass the credit approval.
Quote from MadCatX :I fail to see how would selling LFS in classic stores make it more popular. You go to store to buy a game, not to check out what new titles are there. That's what all these gaming magazines are for. It would only make LFS more expensive.
Another problem is the concept of LFS which relies on roll-up constant updates (though the reality begs to differ a bit for last two years ). Releasing new CDs whenever a new patch is out is just not an option and I can see many people complaining about the need to patch LFS after installing it. (World of Warcraft anyone?)

There was a CD version of LFS waaay back in S1 days, but it was sold in only in Germany and the amount of CD was limited...

Updates true...
selling LFS in stores would make some more sales:
- some people buy for example presents (anyone realise how much of a years sales is done in Christmas period? it's HUGE!)
- teenagers do not need to have bank account or credit card, but they do always have cash
- not everyone is reading game magazines and you can not have a review of your game every single month, some people just go to the store, see what's there, sometimes ask and decide what to try out
- game laying on the shelf all the time is kind of advertising itself
- every single copy sold in the new market areas is also advertising (of course we assume the product is good and customers like it)
- in general every time you make your product more available to your potential customers you should expect more sales, this is called distribution

and in fact the more product you sale the more profit is connected with single copy, so it woluld not make it more expensive in the long term

but the problems are:
1. you need to invest money to get this higher profit, and this is what the devs propably can not afford at the moment
2. you should distribute a normal, finished product if you want to sell it to anyone who can just grab it from the shelf not knowing what it really is and this is not possible with LFS itself at the current stage

IMO the best what could be done now easily to distribute LFS is getting a deal with some wheel controlers manufacturer, including a demo CD in the controllers' box with some discount code for the lincense could really boost the sales, as the distribution would be perfectly targeted
Quote from Smashysmashy :It would be better if LFS were "on the market", so to speak. Possible game systems preferably should be: PS2,3,P...Xbox,360...Wii (maybe)...and definitely PC. By doing so, it would make it easier for racers who want to buy the game but Parents and/or Legal Guardians won't use a credit cars and/or don't have one.

Congrats, you found LFS and even found the LFS Forum. You like the game but you wish it could be bigger. You've got some big ideas to make that happen and you want to tell the world.

Fortunately, other people have big ideas too, sometimes the same ones as you, and sometimes long before you ever came up with them.

To determine if this is the case, go here:

Suggested improvements log

Or here in general:

http://www.lfsforum.net/search.php
I think that LFS Devs would lose much money doing that... because not everybody likes sims like LFS (normally, people preffer NFS.... or arcade games) it's better online, at the moment...
If LFS went on the market beside massive hitters like Forza and NFS it would be a spectacular fail. The money that the guys would spend on distribution and manufacture of the CDs (the installer wouldn't need a DVD would it?) wouldn't be recouped by sales because there's no massive marketing company behind it. Really the only marketing LFS has is word of mouth and SEO.

On top of that, it's still in development. I'm not talking "it needs a patch to balance stuff", I'm talking "it's due a graphical overhaul, they're still adding cars and tracks, it still has an alpha tag".

And then we get on to the big argument - would a more busy community mean better racing? And nobody can answer that. I like to hope that an increase in population wouldn't ruin the quality of most servers, but there are some total asshats out there and as you increase the percentages you increase the likelihood of meeting them.

Let's wait until the program is finished before trying to sell it
#23 - PoVo
LFS on PSP? Hahahahhahahahahhahah!

Selling LFS in stores
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG