The online racing simulator
Online lag
(23 posts, started )
#1 - PDR
Online lag
Hi.
When im playing online i see other racers lagging. Doesnt matter if its 1 player online or 10 i see others lagging all time. It can be a 60ms server or a 200ms or 100ms server its always lag.
When i play with AI i can play with 20 players it wont lag, so its only an online issue.
I have sometimes 80fps while online.
I have tried everything, i runed antispyware and virus scan my and my PC its clean. (an online player said to me to try this to see if it will solve problem)
I tried play game with graphics on minimun and online lag remains.
I have uninstalled the game and installed again and still same..
My pc is a core2duo E4500 2,2GHz, 4Gb of ram and a Ati HD5750 1GB
Im from Portugal but to get a better and real test i have chosen a server from outside my country, i think its good to make a test instead choosing a server from my country. Look at bottom link to see the result.

Hope someone can help me, and sorry for my bad english.
Thanks in advance.
#2 - 65D
Quote from PDR :Hi.
When im playing online i see other racers lagging ...

Lag depends of their connection.
I think your ping is too low, it doesnt matter what speed you can reach.
Quote from BeNicko :I think your ping is too low, it doesnt matter what speed you can reach.

A low ping is good and 67ms is quite decent for ~1000 miles distance.
Lag
Are you sure there is nobody else on your network using lots of bandwidth?
Have you or anyone else got large downloads in progress, especially bit torrents?
Try to ping cargame.nl like this in a DOS box (type cmd or command @Windows 'Run' in start menu);

ping cargame.nl -t

See if you can get a stable ping response. Good average without high highs.

Portugal <-> Paris shouldn't be a big problem.

Possible other problem could be WiFi or are you using a wired LAN?
lag
Yes, I meant to add that to my previous message.

Are you using wi fi? if so it's often not good for games as you get packet loss.

If you are using wireless, try connecting with an ethernet cable instead.
#8 - PDR
Quote from JackSun :Are you sure there is nobody else on your network using lots of bandwidth?
Have you or anyone else got large downloads in progress, especially bit torrents?

I dont understand what are you meaning with progress but i havent download a torrent in weeks.

Jacksun im wired connected to internet. The ping cargame.nl -t gave me an average of 130-140 ms and TTL 47. I think ping shouldnt be so high...
Yeah your ping is a bit high, my average ping is about 50ms. You can try tracert -d cargame.nl to find out where the lag occurs.

If your ping to the first couple of nodes is high, your connection or your ISP's network is slow.

You can see a spike in latency and timeouts in the middle of the trace, this indicates that there is a problem outside of my connection. Usually this resolves itself over time, but since it's beyond my ISP's network, I can't do anything about it.
Attached images
lfs-tracert_cargame.jpg
#10 - PDR
NotAnIllusion wheres what i've got when i run tracert in dos.
Maybe its too high ping bt i have played soldier of fortune2 for years and counter strike too with lots of people in server, sometimes 40 and i played with no problem. Thats why i felt its strange the lfs lagging i see online.
Attached images
tr.jpg
It not unusual for a specific game to be affected. LFS servers and SoF2/CS servers are in different physical locations, so the routes you take to them are also different. It's just unlucky that your current route to cargame.nl appears to be laggy, whereas the routes to other game servers are fine.

I don't know how you could change the routing to be better. You could try the command netsh interface ip delete arpcache, but I doubt it will improve anything. The command clears your routing cache, and it could result in obtaining a better route. I ran the command just now, it's harmless. I would suggest reading more about the command before you run it anyway, it's never a good idea to type in commands that delete stuff without knowing..
I think he hasn't tried my servers before. It's just an example. He says that every LFS server lags. It's quite odd because most LFS servers are European based.

A ping of 130-140 ms is indeed way to high.

I'm not sure about those tracerts though, I get high values as well, it might not say anything about connection quality these days because some traffic is classified as low prioritized traffic these days.

Anyway... LFS is very VERY good in network perfomance. I see people from Brazil, US to New Zealand with decent connections playing at our servers so someone from Portugal shouldn't experience any kind of problems because it's 'just around the corner', so to speak.

Try to do a ping when you are at a friend from another PC and even better, a different ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Oh and by the way... Also ping 500servers.com ... It's one of the largest (the largest?) LFS game server hosts.
#14 - PDR
I made ping 500servers.com i get 50-60ms.
The netsh interface ip delete arpcache command didnt help.

Its a bit frustrating because my internet is good, its 24Mb well its not excellent but does the job well, i can be downloading files easly at 2MB/s sometimes more fast. (not talking about torrents)
I think the best way to try is playing my game in another ISP. I will try that
Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT: i will try one last test. I have modem then its conected to router and then it comes to my PC by cable. I wil try connect my modem directly to my PC.
Quote from cargame.nl :I think he hasn't tried my servers before. It's just an example. He says that every LFS server lags. It's quite odd because most LFS servers are European based.

A ping of 130-140 ms is indeed way to high.

Na, i have the 80% of lfs with 300ms ping in the server list, but when i enter to the server, the lag is minimal, having 0.03 or 0.06 of ping in the option shift+f7

It could show 330ms in the server list, but inside of the server is much more less

To the OP , try adding the game port to the router, also disable any firewall when you gona play.
Also, if the problem keep, call to your isp and ask if the "International broadband" have limited exit of conection or if the service is working at 100%), some times in argentina for a amount of time, when they need do the maintance of the servers , they cut by half the international broadband.
#16 - PDR
Quote from Inouva :Na, i have the 80% of lfs with 300ms ping in the server list, but when i enter to the server, the lag is minimal, having 0.03 or 0.06 of ping in the option shift+f7

It could show 330ms in the server list, but inside of the server is much more less

To the OP , try adding the game port to the router, also disable any firewall when you gona play.
Also, if the problem keep, call to your isp and ask if the "International broadband" have limited exit of conection or if the service is working at 100%), some times in argentina for a amount of time, when they need do the maintance of the servers , they cut by half the international broadband.

I played now with firewall off and same lag. I also portforward game and it didnt help... I think i didnt portforward well i ill try again
I will try contact my isp.
thx
Edit: Im going now to try in my friends house too see with his internet. With my PC
Quote from PDR :
Its a bit frustrating because my internet is good, its 24Mb well its not excellent but does the job well, i can be downloading files easly at 2MB/s sometimes more fast. (not talking about torrents)

It's not the downlink what is the limiting factor but it's the uplink.

If you seed torrents, or do p2p sharing in general, most people overload their uplink stream and as a result bottlenecks the complete internet connection.

So 20 Mbit/sec or 100 Mbit/sec ... All says nothing, cause the uplink probably is much less. In your case 1 Mbit/sec according to the screenshot.
The maximum pps setting is 6, which equals one packet every 166ms, so that's the maximum ping one should have.
#19 - PDR
I dont have nothing on besides lfs. Well only microsoft security essencials, but i installed this yesterday. Before it was lagging the same...
I tried playing in my friends house, it has same isp as mine, more slow but same isp and problem is the same, i used my PC. Maybe i will try in another PC.
I saw some youtube videos of online play and sometimes i see a very minor lag, nothing compares to what i see...

EDIT: i contact my isp and i made a internet test they provide online and it was 25,07Mb download and 0,93Mb upload. Its what i pay for. They say to me to try more tests at night and tomorrow and if i see very different values of DL and UP to call them again and they will try solve my prob.
I will talk about this in a portuguese forum of lfs racers and see what they say about lag then i post something here to let you know.
Thanks to all for helping me
#20 - PDR
Hello again. Someone in ir channel said to me to see ping of others with SHIFT + F8 to enable netword debbuging. I has spec at ![AMG] Motorsport and it was like 15 players racing. The ping or latency (dont know how to call it) in top of cars riht to the names were in each car was like this: 0,10 ; 0,05 ; 0,04 ; 0,06 ; 0,12 ;and one with 0,34 ; and there's more but this is enough.
My question is: are this numbers normal? Or shoud be less? Because every car is lagging every second for me.

Thx in advance!
hi
with my experience i have notice that the driver with the highest number caused the lag in the server.

between 0,00 and 0,10 ( is differend for other servers) is good enough to drive smooth

its also the distance between the server and where the user cames from.
example:

The server is located in the UK and one of the drivers comes from autrialia.
so he has a higher ping then other drivers in the server.
and that may caused the lag in the server.

but

it could be that someone is downloading and that will increase his ping.

so the conclusion is:

High ping = lag

sry if i'm talking bullshit
its about my experience in the server
If he was downloading, only he would be disappearing. The fact that EVERY car is doing it means either an issue with the client or the server. If nobody else is experiencing it then it has to be the client.

The thing is that Speedtest ping doesn't seem bad at all and the hardware shouldn't be causing lag. Unless it is a firewall issue, the only other thing I can think of is an unreliable connection. So a short test might show a good result, but a long session might show a lot of hiccups.

The old traceroute up there didn't fill me with confidence. The timeout there is close to home, probably at your exchange. Do you live in a busy area? Could be kicking your connection around to make room for other users bandwidth.
#23 - PDR
Thx to both of you. Well i run with firewall off. A guy from irc channel of lfs said to me he had a similar problem and a downgrade of router firmware version solved the problem. I will try that.

Online lag
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG