The online racing simulator
Steering Wheel Vs. Keyboard
(14 posts, started )
I've been using a steering wheel in LFS from the word go, but it seems to me that all the winners in Blackwood are using keyboards. They get times around 1:24, whilst I have tried and tried (using the same setup) and can't break 1:28.

Is it because that setup was tuned more for keyboard than for steering wheels, is it just because I'm a crap racer, or is it because steering wheel pedals are analogue (gradual accelleration/breaking), whilst keyboards are digital (instant accelleration/breaking)?
its cause your crap.....next!!!
you are crap...?
nèh don't know...

i drive 1.33.XX (BL, XFG)
are you sure they aren't using mouse? ks isn't faster than wheel world records but mouse is.
I don't know. I've watched fast players racing, and tried to copy what they do, but they seem to break sooner than my car allows (If I break that late, I skid).

Also, KB + Mouse is what I meant.
#6 - ORION
Wheel is the fastest way to drive in LFS, mouse might be competive sometime, but only because those players drove much more laps, and all the good wheel drivers have S2 and dont play demo. Keyboard sucks in all ways: ks is more or less drivable but screws the tyres, kn is mostly rubbish, except rally-x, where you might gain a bit compared to ks because of the more direct steering.

-> buy wheel
Just thought of something. We don't have many keyboard players in S2, do we? Most use a wheel. In the demo, you have a ton of keyboard players and just as many "kids" playing who just came off of playing games on consoles. So, their dexterity and speed in the fingers are much better than mine beings the last console I had was a Sega Genesis as well as the last time I played any kind of racing game/sim without a wheel.

I was at my brother-in-law's house a while back to play GT4 on his new plasma screen. Er, that "game" is about impossible to control the cars and so hard. I can't control the car at all with a gamepad and from topdown view. I can drive LFS (or any "SIM") much easier with the wheel. Why? It's because a "SIM" is realistic to what I've been driving like in real life (meaning the way the car drives) on the road compared to something like GT4. Folks say when you try something like LFS, you have to learn how to drive it properly. For me, without the background of console games, it is the opposite. LFS is natural to drive and GT4 I would have to relearn how to drive to play.
#8 - zeeaq
Well i woluld put put it this way...its simple...its all about how good u are at what u do...with what u use.I use keys now...and i am better than many ppl using wheel and mouse...but no doubt that wheel is the best from of control...a lot of things cannot be easily done on kbs (likee trail braking) unless u are one hell of a kb racer...it all comes with car control..get ur setup right..play around with a few setups of ur liking..and ge them perfect 4 u...

and ya

Its all practise practise practise.
Quote from mrodgers :In the demo, you have a ton of keyboard players and just as many "kids" playing who just came off of playing games on consoles.

the most interesting type of demo players a those that show up as wheel user but use a digital gamepad you can see how their steering input goes form neutral to full lock all the time ... dunno where they get the idea that lfs is driveable that way

Quote :I was at my brother-in-law's house a while back to play GT4 on his new plasma screen. Er, that "game" is about impossible to control the cars and so hard.

if you want an arcade game where its ridiculously hard to be fast try stunts (reaplay handling has got to be one of the most boring ways to drive a hotlap though)
I use a pad. And will probably start using an axis for throttle/brake cos I can't start the FO8 without spinning with the buttons
Hmm, so in conclusion; it's not my controler, it's my skill that's holding me back.

Ouch!
Hehe, if you are talking about XRT at BLGP, i can do 1:26 whit KS, and im not even racer, steering wheels does needs a lot of practice, does yours have Force Feedback ? If not, it should be pretty hard to drive fast, if it does, you definitely needs practice and try searching for real life racing techniques, they work just right on LFS.

ps: its all about tires...
Quote from Slidaaaa :Hehe, if you are talking about XRT at BLGP, i can do 1:26 whit KS, and im not even racer, steering wheels does needs a lot of practice, does yours have Force Feedback ? If not, it should be pretty hard to drive fast, if it does, you definitely needs practice and try searching for real life racing techniques, they work just right on LFS.

ps: its all about tires...

Oohh, yeah I have a force feedback wheel. Not sure how good it is though, it's quite old (AVB Force Feedback). Still, I'll keep at it. Thanks for the tips!

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG