The online racing simulator
gt120 fan problem
(17 posts, started )
gt120 fan problem
hi fellow lfsers

i have a problem with my graphics card..
the problem is sometimes the fan on it begins
to get incredibly loud, and at the same time
the graphics card goes from 49c idle temp
to 59-60c in just a minute or two

do anyone know what this problem is?

Skolekaj
Dust? Brand? While idling or in a game?
it's just at idling brand i dont know it's just the one that came with my pc
It could be that the fan automaticly adjusts the speed when too warm or when stressed (playing a game)
i have the geforce 8800gs and when its idling the fan running 30% (normal)
and when playing a game its goes faster.
but nvidia has tweaksoftware to make ur card faster and u can set the idlefanspeed.

but i dont know if work correctly for the GT120
So I was right? My 8800GT was also like this.
ye i think so

but i think the default fanspeed is differend for each geforce card
because the gt120 is faster and produce more heat so the default fanspeed is higher than the default fanspeed of my 8800gs
Quote from Bass-Driver :ye i think so

but i think the default fanspeed is differend for each geforce card
because the gt120 is faster and produce more heat so the default fanspeed is higher than the default fanspeed of my 8800gs

also the fans and coolers become better for each generation, so might not have to spin faster to cool a hotter card
Quote from Feffe85 :also the fans and coolers become better for each generation, so might not have to spin faster to cool a hotter card

Thats right
They use aluminium to reduce the heat.
ofcourse u have copper coolblocks but its expensive yet.

And i think the next generation of coolblocks are gold
gold is the perfect to reduce the heat of ur GPU / CPU.
and its very expensive yet.

my GPU fan sounds like a airplane when i play a game:P
Quote from Bass-Driver :Thats right
They use aluminium to reduce the heat.
ofcourse u have copper coolblocks but its expensive yet.

And i think the next generation of coolblocks are gold
gold is the perfect to reduce the heat of ur GPU / CPU.

Copper has a better thermal conductivity than gold, if anything, the next step would be silver.
I agree with morpha, gold is not as good at conducting heat (or electricity) as copper or silver. Silver is the best, and copper is a bit worse (but far cheaper than silver, which is why all wires are made of copper).
Quote from Takumi_lfs :It could be that the fan automaticly adjusts the speed when too warm or when stressed (playing a game)

it couldnt be that ... because it starts to get warm half a minute after it begins to make the noise and i dont have any programs running
Even on idle, my gfx card also gets heaten.. I have my fan on 45% and its on 70 degrees. When playing games turn on to 100% and have fun. Manual fan control at its best.
yeah but the problem is it starts to cool less when the noise begins
Can you provide a video? I never heard of this problem.

Might be that a cable is touching the fan.
cant provide a video but i looked when it happened and there were no wires in the way of the fan
as we're anyhow talking about idletemps all of a sudden xD
my goddamn gtx260 idle at 50°c.. beat that sucker! :O
It blows out REALLY hot air, compared to the ambient.. which sucks, as i have a big mofo 120mm UNDER the gfx-fan and also a 240mm fan blowing the card sideways..

(if u wonder i have a HAF932) and i cant understand how this can be.. sure, when i open the door to let some of the cooler (10°c) air in, the temp goes down.. but still.. odd tbh..

gt120 fan problem
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG