The online racing simulator
Telemetry For The F1 Car ?
(18 posts, started )
do you think telemetry is a must in order to have a good setup in an F1 car ? IYO, should it be implemented in a near future ?
#2 - JJ72
we have external programs for that already.
#3 - ajp71
We can get data logging already. But how do you suggest we use live telemetry whilst driving the car. Unless you have a team of engineers live telemetry is pointless.
I don't about you, but I get plenty of telemetry in LFS already. I'd have thought the F1 will have exactly the same outputs. What more do you want?

Edit: MUST refresh thread before opening gob.
#5 - ajp71
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't about you, but I get plenty of telemetry in LFS already. I'd have thought the F1 will have exactly the same outputs.

No it won't they don't have tire pressure data (checked in stops) or temperature data (also checked in stops) or such nice easy to read suspension damage data. In fact they have none of the data we get.
I want to have my telemetry streamed to Tristan whilst I race so he can contact me over the team radio with any problems that are occuring with my car

Keiran
Example:

Keiran "How's it looking? Any technical problems?"
Tristan "Nope, the cars fine."
Keiran "Great thanks, huh, wha..."
Tristan "Shame about the nut behind the wheel." *walks off*

Alex - I was referring to the raf outputs, not the overlays in game.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from tristancliffe :
Alex - I was referring to the raf outputs, not the overlays in game.

No they'll get much more extensive data logging but it'll all be things that LFS either doesn't simulate or is of no use. Mainly engine related things like various temperature/pressure sensors.
Aha, I see the confusion. I said "the F1", not "F1". More clearly: The BF1 will have the same telemetry to all the other LFS cars, which is more than enough.
can you poit me to a link to the program pls ?
#11 - JTbo
Hmm, we can change drivers for endurance racing, could be nice to be possibility to adjust car from pits as a team work, however there is not much you can adjust from pits, engine/transmission management being certainly only one and with current level of engine/transmission modelling that would be not very useful.

Adjusting arb from pits would be unrealistic and not very likely to happen, adjusting dampers, maybe, but I think electronically adjusted and active suspensions are banned in many if not every racing series.

So it would not be much you can adjust from pits, but of course reading data from telemetry would provide more stuff, however again we come to engine/transmission modelling.

But from telemetry you could see suspension data and g-forces, from there it would be possible to help teammate to improve laptimes, "push harder over kerb at T3" for example, pitradio function with integrated team speak or similar functionality perhaps, maybe some Doom clone has something like this where from you could 'steal' idea.

But again, to get suspension data you would need at least few special potentiometers hooked to your dampers, some electronics for logging, etc, how many cars have these? Fia GT, F1, any more?
Ok, I planned to install those to my 500€ car for next summer, but that is different, I'm car lunatic illepall

Well, LFS could use some of engine modelling, I can get nice datalog from my own car, something similar for LFS would be nice, but hopefully without those rpm spike problems I have had
is there a tutorial or somethin that explain how to use that telemetry in LFS ? how about third party stuff ?
#13 - wE1l
Quote from silent_wind :do you think telemetry is a must in order to have a good setup in an F1 car ? IYO, should it be implemented in a near future ?

I think telemetry is a MUST MUST for a serious sim, unfortunately that's another weak point of LFS.
just for everybody to understand:

THERE IS TELEMETRY IN LFS!
Quote from Screeny :just for everybody to understand:

THERE IS TELEMETRY IN LFS!

Just for you to understand... the only way to get the telemetry that's in LFS is outside of LFS... That's not telemetry, that's physics engine parameters... We can then analyse those parameters as if it were telemetry. Ideally, we would be able to take the BF1 for a spin, enter the pit, analyze the telemetry data recorded while driving, make adjustments accordingly, and go drive some more. You don't see actual F1 teams tape the laps of their cars on video first, only to run them back and interpret the images for telemetry data in a studio away from the track, go back to the track, fix the car, and do it all again?
No, they record the actual data that the car collects, and can instantly analyze them. Or if not, they can at least hook the car up to a monitor and get the data from there, without needing to tape it first.
#17 - wE1l
This is what I call TELEMETRY

Firstly thanks for the info guys.

But if that's what you call TELEMETRY, I think I will have to show you some idea on what is a proper one in my vocabulary.

Figure 1 to figure 3 are based on a test at Silverstone with an Arrow F1 car.(Courtesy of RacerAlex setup guide)
Figure 4 to figure 7 are based on a lap at Barcelona with a F2004 without TC.

Figure 1.E. Alexander’s 1m21s509 front ride height trace over C. Wynn’s 1m19.853 reference lap. In the above trace you can see how the front is bottoming at seven distinct points during the lap. This will require raising the front ride height slightly.

Figure 2. The above Chassis Slip Angle trace shows the added grip the car has achieved after some changes on the antiroll bar and front wing angle. Note the grip is not rail-like, but rather, the car handles better by breaking away slower and more gradually, allowing the
cars limit to exploited easier. This is reflected in the top right trace: note how in the highlighted Abbey section, the 1m19s197 lap (green) has much more slip than the slower 1m20s612 lap (yellow). The friction circle in the lower right corner shows how this increased slip allows a higher lateral acceleration to be maintained. The Velocity trace shows the car's averaging almost 5mph more through Abbey now.

Figure 3.Incremental time difference: Gray = C.W. 1m19.987; red = E.A. 1m21m506; yellow = E.A. 1m20s612 In the above trace it can be seen that E.A was losing time at Stowe, Club, and Abbey. There is a second and a half to be had there.

Figure 4. Suspenstion Travel

Figure 5. Throttle, brake and wheelspin overview

Figure 6. General gearbox information

Figure 7. Engine RPM vs Velocity and time distribution of RPM

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG