The online racing simulator
PNY GeForce4 MX420 vs EVGA GeForce 6200 LE
Looking to upgrade the video card to get the better gaming experience. I searched online and narrowed down to PNY GeForce4 MX420 and EVGA GeForce 6200 LE. Can anyone tell me what’s the difference between AGP and PCI Express? Help me choose the best video card.

Thanks...
AGP is ancient and has different slot than PCI. These cards are very old and bad for today's games. Can you post your current system specs so we can see what you can recommend you.
Purely going off the the graphics card, your system is so old, anything you spend on individual components isn't going to be anywhere near worth the money, you'd be far, far better off with a new PC, even a low-spec one.

To put it in a racing context, it's like asking 'what turbocharger should I fit on my Model T Ford if I want to win the Monaco Grad Prix?'
What these guys are trying to say is: It is cheaper to get a whole new PC, then to buy one AGP component.
For 600$ you can buy a good PC that should play every game, but not on high setup, but it would at least run them.
Quote from matijapkc :What these guys are trying to say is: It is cheaper to get a whole new PC, then to buy one AGP component.

Not exactly, the AGP card will be cheaper than a whole PC, but as far as extra speed/cost goes, the new PC will be orders of magnitude better value-for-money. AGP cards are so slow and so (relatively) expensive that you'll be spending a lot of money for very little observable performance increase.
Once I wanted to buy AGP GPU... For NVidia with 256 MB (don't know what strengt it was) I should give about 120$.
In new PC I have ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB and I payed it barely 100$... So, if you want really strong AGP card, price could go over 200$, and for that you can buy CPU and GPU at least.
Quote from matijapkc :Once I wanted to buy AGP GPU... For NVidia with 256 MB (don't know what strengt it was) I should give about 120$.
In new PC I have ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB and I payed it barely 100$... So, if you want really strong AGP card, price could go over 200$, and for that you can buy CPU and GPU at least.

Damn... You need to tell me where you buy your hardware from! ASAP!
Get the HD4650 for AGP.
#9 - TiJay
Bloody hell, do they still sell GeForce 4's? Especially the MX ones, my MX440 stopped playing "new" games in 2006! Steer well clear of that... The 6200 was acceptable a couple of years ago, no idea how well it'll do now.

Get a new PC, tbh...

And an HD4650 in an old machine is a bit useless. Not to mention the power supply probably won't be powerful enough?
Quote from Disposable :Damn... You need to tell me where you buy your hardware from! ASAP!

You know... For 200$ you can't buy high-end performance CPU and GPU, but you can buy good one...
I bought AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2,66GHz (end of 2008.) and ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB (6. month 2009.) for less than 200$. MB was around 70-80$, HDD (160GB) same like MB, PSU was like 25$ (400W) and RAM's (2GB 667MHz DDRII) were 50$. All except GPU bought late in 2008.
An agp system is old, but remember, the latest socket 939 amd systems can be an dual-core system! With a proper graphics card and fast ddr-memory it can still run the latest games. Offcourse not at maximum detail/resolution settings.
For a system with agp, it would be best to get an ati 4670, but check first if your powersupply can deliver the power this card needs. And as mentioned earlier, make sure your system is fast enough, if you got a low-end or very very old agp-system, you should not upgrade with a $80-$100 dollar agp card!
Quote from TiJay :Bloody hell, do they still sell GeForce 4's? Especially the MX ones, my MX440 stopped playing "new" games in 2006! Steer well clear of that... The 6200 was acceptable a couple of years ago, no idea how well it'll do now.

Get a new PC, tbh...

And an HD4650 in an old machine is a bit useless. Not to mention the power supply probably won't be powerful enough?

New PSU and new GFX card makes a huge difference. My crappy PC was saved by a X800 Pro for goodness sake. I think the best value card for AGP is the X800XT. Stay clear of the GTO and PRO.
Mmmm...Clear understatements. AGP isn't that slow. Most cards even today can't use the full bandwidth of it. You lose 3% in performance when running the first few PCIe 2.0 cards @ 1.1 spec 16x. You may lose another few percent by running PCIe 2.0 cards @ 1.1 spec 8x. At that speed, the bus is running at the old AGP 8x speeds. They aren't fast; its just the cards that run off them cost a hell load of money. Does it justify the costs? If you really want to revive an old PC, you can easily go off and find one of those old 6200s or 7300s with the good old 128 bus and flash them. There you get a 6600 (Vanilla) or 7600GS, etc. Nowadays, they should all cost the same, and you get probably get a cheap card that gets the work done for a mesely 20-30 dollars; if you find the deal. Many people sell old PCs; ask if you can take, for example, the GPU of the PC.

To tell you the truth, many systems can run many games. It is to what detail you want to run them in. You can always run CS:S at blundering CS 1.6 looks, and get that done on the Pentium 3 @ 1 GHz, and some cheap Geforce 2 card. On any case, a rig that was made this year or so would have trouble maintaining a well over 70 fps in Crysis. However, a rig that was built around the Source dominant era could run it at low resolution and detail at ~40 frames.

@Shaun; ehhh, can't you just BIOS flash the cards. To my knowledge [even though i grew up in the later series], the GTO lacked core speed and PRO had 4 pipes locked up. Even then, it doesn't make a difference as they lag behind so much towards current kings that that difference is small; even unnoticeable.
Again, you are exaggerating what everyone is saying. A 4650 doesn't use that much power. If I read one of the old PCs @ school, the generic P4 350W PC pumps out ~ 20 AMPs on the 12V rail. For heaven sake, it is a small little 4650. Damn, we aren't talking big f**king garbage trucks, but small little mini coopers. I mean, people run 8600GTS and 8800GT on that spec.

Again, its a small 4650; yes, you may get a little bottleneck. But for $10 less, you get a card that has like DX7 desig. shaders, and SD Ram @ 64 bit pumping like less that 1 GB/s of bandwidth. With these AGP cards thinning out, high and low performance card prices are set by the seller. lol: You might as well, unless you are running pre millenium hardware of which, yeah. Get a new PC that can run 3D pinball...
X850XT should be the best option.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG