The online racing simulator
Random flat tyres
(40 posts, started )
Random flat tyres
Used search button... Found - nothing.
This is what would I like to see.
You're driving, and at one moment, car goes off the line, you can't control it... What happened? Oh, crap, you have a flat tyre...
That would I like to see... To put a random possibility to get a flat tyre. Or a chance of 1%, or something like it.

EDIT: Spelling error.
Yes, surely losing a race because the RNG hates you is tons of fun.

Random failure is a really bad way to handle situations like this, especially on top of normal problems like an unstable internet connection. If anything, then such failure must be simulated sensibly, so you have in some way control over how high the chances of failure are, like attaching a sort of "stress meter" to each part and only after extended abuse should such failures get possible to happen. If my left front tyre fails while in otherwise pristine condition wear and heat wise, then I'd like to be able to think back and know that it did because I aggressively rammed it over the curbs the last 20 laps. Complete randomness is just awful and really serves no purpose.
Ithink that any random failure in computer games sims is not welcomed really. It will just raise suspicions.
But it does happen in RL...
Quote from matijapkc :But it does happen in RL...

Not randomly, it only seems to be random because we cannot (yet) comprehend the cause.
Quote from morpha :Not randomly, it only seems to be random because we cannot (yet) comprehend the cause.

O.K. Devs could add some nail textures, so then it would not be random.
Quote from matijapkc :O.K. Devs could add some nail textures, so then it would not be random.

Nails on a race track? Debris from collisions perhaps; probably what the devs are aiming for anyway.
FSX has a pretty good random failures feature.
Does the OP know that you can be driving along the line and all of a sudden be pulled off exactly how he is talking. It is still the drivers fault for not changing the tire sooner, for locking up the brakes often or cutting a tire during a turn. The tires in LFS do pop, for reasons of the drivers fault. And when it pops it can be quite unexpected, go race some longer stints.
Quote from blackbird04217 :Does the OP know that you can be driving along the line and all of a sudden be pulled off exactly how he is talking. It is still the drivers fault for not changing the tire sooner, for locking up the brakes often or cutting a tire during a turn. The tires in LFS do pop, for reasons of the drivers fault. And when it pops it can be quite unexpected, go race some longer stints.

word
-
(14chevy14) DELETED by 14chevy14
Quote from SidiousX :FSX has a pretty good random failures feature.

Yeah, but you're not competing in FSX.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Yeah, but you're not competing in FSX.

Go online, there's plenty of competition in FSX, don't speak when you don't know what you're talking about.
im going to race single player for a really long time and i am going to see how random it gets, i havent raced long races yet so idk
sorry for double post, but i just got finished doing 40 laps on blackwood in the rb4

i did not pit once, toward the beggining the tires got ideal temperature by the end of the third lap, then they started to get red on the inside....they did not get hotter then a little red, and as my tires tread started to get thinner, they cooled down a little bit, and nothing much except a little ring of orangeish red in the inner part of all tires.

then lap 18 came and i started to have to go to the bathroom really bad....worst 35 minutes of my life

so after about lap 30 or something, my tires got thinner in the areas that i use too much, and that resulted in flat spotting my tires due to very hard braking conditions, cause every time i braked my right got more grip then my left, and my rear more then my fronts.

at the end, i needed to pit, and to go to the bathroom and my tires were basically wasted, and about to pop from wear not heat

check the spr i guess (the file attachment thing wont work for some reason :really

here you all go http://www.mediafire.com/?gadmimjvjzm
You already have random failures in online races. Only a different kind, your connection can stop working, or your pc, or your wheel. I don't think it is fun to add random flat tires.
Quote from 14chevy14 :if cars had parts falling off..that would cut a tire

That would not be random but just you driving through crap. Actually that is not such a bad idea. The same thing could be done with sharp rocks in the rally courses when you go off track.
Quote from logitekg25 :i started to have to go to the bathroom really bad....worst 35 minutes of my life

at the end, i needed to pit, and to go to the bathroom and my tires were basically wasted, and about to pop from wear not heat

check the spr i guess (the file attachment thing wont work for some reason :really

Do you know that you can pause LFS in single player mode without losing the ability to save the replay?
i tried.....i entertained myself by putting an AI into the race, i put it at quick, it was like 22 seconds behind me at the end, he was why i couldnt pause it.....also why can i only put 1 ai in a race
You can pause with AI, as long as you were in Single Player mode. If you started your own private host and added an AI it wasn't because of the AI but was because it was a multiplayer game that you started.

'P' to pause, just pressing escape won't pause the game even if the menu appears.
ugh.....i thought it was the pause/break button :doh:

thanks for that.....is anyone going to analize the spr or did i do it for nothing
Quote from logitekg25 :thanks for that.....is anyone going to analize the spr or did i do it for nothing

Well, I didn't watch it all but I did watch some of it. It seems you spent a lot of time going sideways and on the grass and not a lot on the track

Your findings (the fact that near the start of the stint the tyres get quite hot then start to cool down towards the middle) are pretty accurate. In the endurance racing in LFS this is the pattern that's also seen. At the start of a stint the tyres will get quite hot (hotter than the ideal temperature to give best grip). Then, as the tyre tread wears down they start to cool down (they get past their heat peak) and begin to give better grip. The best grip is probably available with about 65 to 75% tread wear (possibly a little more). Once you get to 85 or so the tyre temperatures start to drop quite rapidly and the grip decreases along with it. It's not uncommon in endurance racing in LFS to see punctures (we had a couple of double front punctures at the MoE race on Sunday). I have attached a very rough graph showing approximate values for the tyre temperature and grip level against tyre wear. Before anyone shouts at me for inaccuracies it's intended only as a general guide.
Attached images
weargriptemp.PNG
While I agree with a lot being said by your post amp88, I would have to disagree with the image. I don't have the motivation to draw my own thoughts on it. You seem to nail my idea though if you were to reverse the colors (IE: the blue is the grip and the red is the temperature). I say this because in the beginning 10 laps your temperature spikes and grip drops because of this spike, but is regained as the spike levels back off for a slow decent of temperature. Then throughout the life of the tire the temperature drops slowly as the grip is increasing. I love tires at about 65 to 70% worn in LFS, (assuming they are worn to my driving pattern which is typically the case) because during this time the tires actually seem to have their own natural 'worn' camber working with me and my setup to provide the best lap-times possible. During the late stage of the tire, the temperature drops significantly because the tread is too thin. This effectively reduces the grip levels and warns the driver to start thinking about a pit stop.

I *just* got done doing 35 laps on R1s with the FOX at AS7 (Aston North), and I ended up popping my right-rear tire on lap 33, though if I wasn't so distracted with watching certain things I likely could have made the tires last all 35 laps. There were a few spins and slides that cut deep into the tires and wore them faster than necessary.
Quote from blackbird04217 :While I agree with a lot being said by your post amp88, I would have to disagree with the image. I don't have the motivation to draw my own thoughts on it. You seem to nail my idea though if you were to reverse the colors (IE: the blue is the grip and the red is the temperature).

Argh, I got the colours wrong on the image. Of course the red line should be temperature and the blue should be grip. That's what the body of my post explains anyway...

edit: I edited the image in my post above so it's labelled correctly.
Much better, now it somewhat resembles the patterns I feel. I don't know about how accurately but enough to get the point across in a graphical fashion!
sorry every time i hit the straight i texted

EDIT: also toward the begginning i flat-spotted the tires a lot, but toward the middle and end i got my braking foot caibrated (it diddnt really matter from the general looks of it
road tires last much more than 40 laps on blackwood.

Random flat tyres
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG