The online racing simulator
Car Help - Odd Exhaust Noise?
(34 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Yeah she's broken again :/

The exhaust (not the engine) seems "raspier" than normal. Idling sounds similar, when I give it a little throttle I can hear this extra "raspiness" and then at higher RPM's I assume the engine is drowning it out.

I can only hear it with the door open so no idea the noise at speed...

Now my Dad reckons it's blowing in the backbox, but I have no idea.

Will try to get an audio sample tomorrow...

Any ideas what it is / what it'll cost to get fixed / if I need to get it fixed? My Dad is convinced I will get pulled over by a mix of a SWAT team and Ninja's and sent to Guantanamo bay if I try to drive it but I think he's over-reacting a little...
#2 - Bean0
Sounds like it is blowing from somewhere. Could be a hole rusted through or a joint that no longer seals.

You might be able to find the leak if you can get under the car with the engine on and have a listen.
Instead of coming on here and asking us to diagnose a problem with your car OVER THE INTERNET, and then getting some "Audio Samples", why don't you just get underneath the car, and feel around the exhaust for any air escaping where it shouldn't....You know, like most car owners would?

:geezer:
#4 - bbman
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Instead of coming on here and asking us to diagnose a problem with your car OVER THE INTERNET, and then getting some "Audio Samples", why don't you just get underneath the car, and feel around the exhaust for any air escaping where it shouldn't....You know, like most car owners would?

Yeah, "feeling around" a hot exhaust is the best way to go about this... How about just looking and hearing when its on a lift?

Anyway, it sounds exactly like you have a hole in your exhaust somewhere... I know my car sounded like it had a sports exhaust or no cat shortly before I was dragging the whole exhaust pipe on the road...
Quote from bbman :Yeah, "feeling around" a hot exhaust is the best way to go about this... How about just looking and hearing when its on a lift?

Anyway, it sounds exactly like you have a hole in your exhaust somewhere... I know my car sounded like it had a sports exhaust or no cat shortly before I was dragging the whole exhaust pipe on the road...

Only an idiot would feel around a hot exhaust you retard.

You wait until the car is fully cooled down, then start it up and feel around. The exhaust will be cold for a while even when running, and the exhaust gases wouldn't be hot either until the engine warms up a little.

I thought most people would realise this.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Only an idiot would feel around a hot exhaust you retard.

You wait until the car is fully cooled down, then start it up and feel around. The exhaust will be cold for a while even when running, and the exhaust gases wouldn't be hot either until the engine warms up a little.

I thought most people would realise this.

I do agree with you though.
#7 - dadge
put your hand over the cold exhaust hole (the one that's meant to be there). if there's an unwanted hole in the exhaust, the gases will escape from there showing you where the leak is.
#8 - CSU1
Quote from dadge :put your hand over the cold exhaust hole (the one that's meant to be there). if there's an unwanted hole in the exhaust, the gases will escape from there showing you where the leak is.

+1

An apple wedged on the end of the pipe will be the perfect home-sourced application here

...If he's lucky the hole will be along the straight and not at a joint where those DIY exhaust leak fixing thingimy's can be used(sourced from any half decent motor factors).

E;
jakg - if the neighbors are staring awkwardly at you whilst in this rather odd DIY fault-finding process, tell them it's the new green energy fuel(but you can only use certain apples
#9 - ajp71
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Instead of coming on here and asking us to diagnose a problem with your car OVER THE INTERNET, and then getting some "Audio Samples", why don't you just get underneath the car, and feel around the exhaust for any air escaping where it shouldn't....You know, like most car owners would?

Have to agree with this sentiment, it's not exactly rocket science. When you've found the leak then you may be able to put some exhaust sealant on it, otherwise it is a new exhaust, which you should be able to easily work out the cost of. If it is the back box then you can chop off the existing back box and install a cheap universal chav box in place.
#10 - Osco
please start referring to that pos-box as the 'p-wagon' again. I cannot help but burst out in a laughing fit whenever I read that.

On a slightly more serious note, raspy sound might point to a empty/dieing cat. Or an exhaust leak in the midpipe.
try the tissue test.

Keep a tissue near your exhaust manifold and see if it blows.
I'm with most of the guys here that you have a hole in your exhaust. Unless there are some strict noise regulations in GB, it's perfectly fine to drive with it, you might just feel a bit ridiculous with a car sounding like that And even if there is some anti-noise policy, I bet that local policemen don't happen to keep some noise-meters in their asses to proof you are violating it.
I've been driving with quite a hole in the backbox for a while and except the awkward feeling it hasn't been a problem
Quote from MadCatX :And even if there is some anti-noise policy, I bet that local policemen don't happen to keep some noise-meters in their asses to proof you are violating it.
I've been driving with quite a hole in the backbox for a while and except the awkward feeling it hasn't been a problem

how come they never catch those boobs who drive around in civics with "grapefruit shooters" then? it drives me nuts to be doing something that needs concentration, only to be interrupted by BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOM! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!
Because there is no way to proof that their "multi-barreled exhaust system" exceeds some regulations? Even if you can barely hear your own toughts when such car drives by, I doubt you can ticket him or something unless you can say "look, your car exceeds the noise limit by 7dB".

Anyway, I tought I've said so in my previous post, didn't I?
The exhaust noise limit here is stupidly high, 99dB, and it isn't even tested as part of the annual NCT (not yet at least). 90dB is the level emitted from a lawnmower, and that leaves you deafened after mowing for an hour. 99dB is twice as loud as that.

It's stupid really, I can put a complete straight-through pipe on my car and still be well within legal limits, even though I'd be setting off car alarms and breaking windows driving down the street I'd imagine the UK is much the same, we seem to copy everything they do

It "can" be tested by police at the roadside, but I've never heard of it being done, as it's just too impractical. It has to be done in an isolated area, in an open space that won't have any reverberations, away from traffic or other noise sources, the meter has to be 6m (or something similar) away from the rear of the car, and you have to hold the revs at 2k during the test, which the cop is not allowed do. That's far too much hassle for an ordinary plod, when there's a dozen other things they can probably pull you up on if they wanted an excuse to book you.

The problem with driving the p-wagon (:razz like this, is that if a cop has you pegged for a boy racer because of your raspy exhaust note, he'll find any excuse to pull you over, even if you're driving no different than normal. It's well known here, that any white car, or anything that sounds a bit loud, WILL be pulled at every checkpoint they go through, simply because it's generally boy racers that drive them
#16 - Osco
thanks dougie, I needed that
Quote from dougie-lampkin :
It's stupid really, I can put a complete straight-through pipe on my car and still be well within legal limits, even though I'd be setting off car alarms and breaking windows driving down the street

Heh, my car has extractors, into a 3" straight through into a magnaflow muffler. No middle mufflers or cats.

It'll set off alarms just casually driving through the car park >_<
#18 - Osco
any soundbites of your RX-7 klutch?
Maybe something wrong with the gaskets?
#20 - senn
Quote from Klutch :Heh, my car has extractors, into a 3" straight through into a magnaflow muffler. No middle mufflers or cats.

It'll set off alarms just casually driving through the car park >_<

Yeah gets a bit old with the cops hassling you tho. It's hard to find the compromise between flow and noise.
absolutely terrible. when people are talking about annoying sounding cars they're talking about your rx-7. sounds like you swapped in a leaf blower engine.
Thats because rotaries DO sound like lawnmowers?
Its even worse when they're ported

Theres nothing you can really do to stop that noise.
#24 - senn
hahahah GF tunnel runs. Your motor is pretty quiet when engine braking, considering it has no mufflers
Quote from senn :hahahah GF tunnel runs. Your motor is pretty quiet when engine braking, considering it has no mufflers

Haha, believe me its not :P

The video is quite decieving.

(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG