The online racing simulator
XP on Windows 7 computer
(8 posts, started )
XP on Windows 7 computer
Without going into too much boring detail, here's my problem. I've had to swap my 'XP' computer for a 'Windows 7' one. My son can now play all his older games without compatibility problems but I'm stuck with a new computer and I'm fighting (losing) to get my controllers working.
Speed 7 pedals - nothing
G25 wheel - useless
Button box (Leo Bodnor USB interface) - nothing
I can't open the Logitech profiler - the menu bar is there but nothing opens and Windows 7 built in calibration is hopeless (can't even save any changes anyway).
I'm thinking my best route out of my problem is partitioning my hard drive and install XP on it.
Seeing as this is new ground for me, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Questions:
1. Partition software (what to use, what to avoid - anything free?)
2. I've obviously got an XP OS disk, but can I get it running on a second computer?
3. Anything else I should know/do? Pointers in the right direction would be really useful.

If its useful to know the new computer has got a 1TB ATA2 hard drive.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might reply.

Nigel
Quote from NigelY :Questions:
1. Partition software (what to use, what to avoid - anything free?)
2. I've obviously got an XP OS disk, but can I get it running on a second computer?
3. Anything else I should know/do? Pointers in the right direction would be really useful.

there are a bunch of free partitioning programs out there, one is gparted.

you can install xp on another computer, as long as the key is used only once (at a time, or else you might not pass WGA).

repartitioning will be a slow process, especially if your hard drive is big, and/or fragmented. try defragmenting with a program that's better than that one provided by windows.

if you're going to dual boot, i recommend installing xp first, than installing seven afterwards, that should ensure that the correct boot loader is installed to the MBR.

i hope that helps somewhat.
#3 - need
G25 works fine on Win7. Profiler does as well.
Uninstall your profiller and download and install the latest version and it should work ok.
Previous versions of the profiler didn't work well on Win7.
Considering you already have win 7 installed, you can just use the windows disk management tool to resize an already existing partition to install your xp on, or to create a whole new one if you have unpartitioned space. Do indeed defrag the partition you want to resize, though. You will not be able to resize the partition in every imaginable ways, being limited by non-movable files.

But I'd try what need said first... it's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be a way to make a G25 work on 7.
My G25 works perfectly with Windows 7, yours should too.
Thanks for the replies. Two thirds of the way there. G25 and BRD pedals now up and running using Windows 7 calibration. Button controller still not working but looking at Leo Bodnor's web site that might have to be a problem tackled in the future. Must remember to walk away from bloody computers when not in the mood/ tired/ p***ed off. I should be grateful, 400+ FPS seen momentarily today driving solo at Westhill.

Nigel.
For the 'running XP on the same machine' case, you could try Windows XP Mode.
If you have W7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate (maybe also Home Premium, can't remember) you can download it for free, it sets up a virtual PC running XP on your computer.
MS say they did it for compatability and other things, so it should work if you're still having problems.
Have a guess which version of 7 I've got and which one doesn't get XP Mode support? Thanks for the suggestion.

Nigel.

XP on Windows 7 computer
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG