The online racing simulator
#26 - STF
Quote from Memph1s :I think the devs should sell LFS to a publisher, e.g. Simbin, which is motivated enough to develop that huge potential that LFS has.

+1

i agree with steffen here, would be great to have a 24 MoE race at the nordschleife in LFS
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I had approval in the 24 hr race at KY3R.. [snip]
Even if I never finished, it'd be a good bit of research to use for studying the effects of fatigue on a driver. In a sandbox that nobody will die in real life.

I've driven for 36 hours with one break of two hours in real life, but certainly not on a race track at ten tenths and it isn't something I'd recommend or would do again .
Even a one and a half hour stint I find myself prone to mistakes around the 1 hour mark.
The most difficult stage in real life is about 12 hours in, after that it seems to get easier again. Would be interesting to see if something similar happens in race conditions
If I was in a real-life car that solution might seem acceptable to me, whereas I am not, that solution is left unacceptable, to me. Is the thread going to get back on the original topic? Dawesdust and I derailed it for a fair number of posts
Quote from Glenn67 :I've driven for 36 hours with one break of two hours in real life

I did 18 hours straight, only stopping for fuel, the other year in Australia, not pleasent.

Quite why anyone would want to do anything like that, for fun, is beyond me!!!
Quote from Memph1s :I think the devs should sell LFS to a publisher, e.g. Simbin, which is motivated enough to develop that huge potential that LFS has.

Quote from Timo1992 :+1

i agree with steffen here, would be great to have a 24 MoE race at the nordschleife in LFS

- I would have to disagree about the publisher act. Publishers will push the project in a direction that a LOT of the current community would not like; casualized to death and a fully different style gameplay. IMO it would be a terrible idea for LFS to be directed by anyone other than who it is now. Publishers care about money, not project integrity or direction. They feed the public 'what the public wants', and to be honest, the majority of the public doesn't want a racing simulator, they want racing games where they can go around a corner at 180mph - (arguably this point can go on because the publisher -constantly- casualize their games to death so that the current generation of gamers don't know or care what skill or learning is in a game.)

Quote from Glenn67 :I've driven for 36 hours with one break of two hours in real life, but certainly not on a race track at ten tenths and it isn't something I'd recommend or would do again .
Even a one and a half hour stint I find myself prone to mistakes around the 1 hour mark.
The most difficult stage in real life is about 12 hours in, after that it seems to get easier again. Would be interesting to see if something similar happens in race conditions

I've done 28 to 32 hours a handful of times in my life. Only stops (typically) were fueling up and quick bathroom brakes. Of course, as you pointed out - much different than racing at speed. Also I agree with your statement it starts getting easier again, but it also tends to wear down quicker after 24hrs pass. From my experience. Whenever I did the trip with a passenger I would try having them sleep in the middle of the ride somewhere, so they will be awake and chatty during the final leg.
Off topic "
Quote : I want to die like my grandpa - fallen asleep. Not like his passengers screaming and in panic ."

Ok to add to the days driven per year stats, here is a "significant patches per year" stat*:

09 | 1?
08 | 1
07 | 2
06 | 2
05 | 3
04 | 3

*this is subjective from a quick search, definitely not conclusive!

What I considered significant patches:
12/2003 0.3E S1
03/2004 0.3F S1 - patch that was current when I found LFS early April 04
04/2004 0.3G S1
10/2004 0.5K Pre official S2
04/2005 0.5L
06/2005 0.5P First S2 with full content
04/2006 0.5T
12/2006 0.5V
06/2007 0.5X
12/2007 0.5Y
07/2008 0.5Z
11/2009 0.5Z28 questionable as to how significant, really the next patch release with significant new content is the next one in the line.

So really content peaked in mid 05 with some solid improvements in 06 which then has tapped since, so while LFS online numbers stay relatively constant it can be seen that long term player usage does correlate somewhat with significant patch releases*. No surprise to most of us though I should imagine
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
How I see it we heard from the devs and thier plans only because someone was able to spot the Rockingham version at the track and the Devs couldn't deny it, exactly the same thing with the Scirocco.

For me my LFS year consisted of my obligatory Friday, Saturday and Sunday race hours, but I played a lot less than the years before, and its always on par with TV in relevance, guess that why I haven't been active in any league yet, can't be bothered to race when I have to.
Quote from richard dk :zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah it's put me to sleep as well helped me wind down for the day though and now I'm ready for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Honestly, I think it was awful. I probably played LFS a quarter of what i played in the years before. I wouldn't really blame this on slow development or anything like that, but I'm not interested in all the stupid points systems and stupid combos. I spent a good 6 months of 2008 ptting in probably 10 or more race a week on AS Club - FOX, not only do I never see that combo now but I'm only putting in maybe 5 races a month. Remember when CTRA shut down, and all those "normal" servers opened up? I loved those, where everyone could jump in a TBO from the start. Now though, it's either AS Nat - GTR or some mix server.
Quote from Glenn67 :Hmm could be a link :drink:is this a good year for you then?

Stats for those that find it interesting, hope you don't mind

Year|Glenn67|Tristan|Danowat|Bawbag|Sidi|Dawesdust_12
09 | 77 | 0 | 23 | 45 | 4 | 1
08 | 58 | 2 | 72 |107 | 15 | 29
07 | 50 | 21| 83 | 82 | 77 | 147
06 | 51 | 81|139|276 |177| 86
05 | 65 |126|80 |55(2)|126|73
04 | 67 |119|57 | n/a | 208| 34
03 |n/a |14 | 23 | n/a|48(3)|n/a
Tot|368|363|477|565|655|370

Can see a pattern forming were us oldies saw LFS peek in 05-06, not exactly a large sample though lol funnily though it fits with my recollection.

In 08 and the first half of 09 I did play quite a lot, but on demo servers or offline; which would bring my total up by 5 or 6. In the latter half of 09 it was the occasional offline blast in something like the FO8.

But I just don't have much time. If you could understand just how much time I have to put into going racing for real then you'd understand why LFS is something I remain very interested in but generally unable to play. It isn't like I don't WANT to - my wheel is still plugged in and ready to move into position...
Quote from blackbird04217 :Nice, we oughta get together and try getting into the same 24hr race so that we have some 'even' competition. There is no point in competing against the teams of drivers. But to see the effects of fatigue, and challenge myself to overcome it is the primary goal and reason behind my desire to do this. Contact me ahead of time in 2010 when you have plans to, I'll see if my connection is handling multiplayer and if I have the time to do it. Although, I won't do it in a GTR class; LX6 would be the best for my tastes.

I still would rather do it in a 24 hour competition (for recognition mostly, and to have the difficulty of dealing with the faster cars overtaking every 10 seconds). I wouldn't do it in a GTR, nor a LRF. I'd want to do it in my trusty XRG.. I even still have my 24H skin laying around.

Maybe we can convince someone into starting one, I'd say organize one myself.. but I lack a lot of the programming or resources to do it.
I wasn't saying to do it outside the realm of a competition. I am suggesting if you find a 24hr event that allows you to race give me aheads up, I'd like to try it on the same as you. Yea two cars driving around the track for 24hrs, now that would be boring!
8 Online laps in 2009

I'm not complaining but I really do miss the golden days of "Release Early, Release Often"
#42 - e.M
dont worry devs just took more then they could handle, after all these things they are working on we will have fast updates again
I think devs were triggered by VWS and forced to put the sim to next level. They are competing with iRacing, new X-Motor Racing and still modded rFactor, but will not compete with novelties and graphics. It is the physics - so the parameters in the sim would very acurately correspond with real parameters of the real cars. For now the goal was to make cars LOOKING as behaving as real ones. Now they really have to behave like real cars using the same parameters.
Quote from tristancliffe :But I just don't have much time. If you could understand just how much time I have to put into going racing for real then you'd understand why LFS is something I remain very interested in but generally unable to play. It isn't like I don't WANT to - my wheel is still plugged in and ready to move into position...

I know what it is like to not have much time, I've been renovating houses (myself), subdividing blocks and getting houses built, working a job concurrently, then a year and half ago bought a business and am currently heavily involved in expanding it along with ongoing renovation and subdivision projects.
What helped me and the stats show it is that I built a racing rig in a day and a half and now have a set up I can jump into anytime I have some spare time without having to set anything up, normally this is between 10pm and midnight . But if I were in your shoes I'd be spending all my energy on the real thing too.
LFS looks fine to me. Not as much growth at previous years (if any at all) but it hasn't declined at all.

This is actually the year that I got into league racing so for me 2009 has been pretty fun.
Attached images
LFS2009 600.jpg
LFS2009 4200.jpg
Changing the LFSWorld Smap Box is horrible, 2010 is doomed!
For me, neutral ... patches we're good indeed but overall ... nothing new.
LFS is still here. People are still racing. I think it went pretty damn well.
Quote from pik_d :LFS looks fine to me. Not as much growth at previous years (if any at all) but it hasn't declined at all.

This is actually the year that I got into league racing so for me 2009 has been pretty fun.

LFS was launched in 2003? So it is 6*365=2190, so put 3000 to select timespan there something's wrong there
Quote from AndRand :LFS was launched in 2003? So it is 6*365=2190, so put 3000 to select timespan there something's wrong there

In the upper left:
Quote from LFSW :Select which timespan you want to see for the graph. Click either a predefined link, or enter the number of days manually (max 30 days)

You can do up to a month manually, or use one of the pre-determined amount of days. I marked off 2009 with the red lines to the closest that my calculations could get me. Also LFSW was not launched when LFS was launched. I think LFSW was launched in 2005 but I'm not sure.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG