The online racing simulator
Track Markers
(16 posts, started )
Track Markers
Hi All,

Can I ask what markers do people use for their brake/ turn in/ exit/ etc points? The trouble I'm having is that the track surface is so bump free and perfectly uniform, its very difficult picking out something that I can reliably use. Sometimes there happens to be a distance marker or kerbs or drains that are roughly in the right place, but sometimes there is nothing, and I seem to be using things on the edge of the screen or horizon, which isn't too reliable. What do people use in these situations?

Thanks.
Practise! I dunno after a few laps around the track i get used to the braking points and hardly have to look for a marker. If im still not sure of my way, the distance markers usually come in handy.
Just what i do.
*waits for more experienced ones to have a say*
I press 4
Quote from TheRivieraKid :Hi All,

Can I ask what markers do people use for their brake/ turn in/ exit/ etc points? The trouble I'm having is that the track surface is so bump free and perfectly uniform, its very difficult picking out something that I can reliably use. Sometimes there happens to be a distance marker or kerbs or drains that are roughly in the right place, but sometimes there is nothing, and I seem to be using things on the edge of the screen or horizon, which isn't too reliable. What do people use in these situations?

Thanks.

I think there are distance markers on every track, no? That's what I always use anyway (I think). I never really paid much attention to which reference points I usually use, it just comes with practise I guess
Quote from aroX123 :hah
wat.. :P

Racing line .

Sometimes i use the funny red lights from the guy in front of me, because he decided to use a different marker than i would like to use. This normaly makes me stand with both feets on the anchor pedal .
#7 - Dac
All the circuits I've driven on in LFS have distance markers where there is heavy braking. For the other corners it's mostly judgement call as the entry speed, position, balance, tyres, weight, etc means you have to adapt your inputs to the conditions.
#8 - Nicce
i´m drifting but i use marks in the roads .like drains for SO, color changes is grass.dds files in kyotoNational and some other things.

it´s a learning process and like one allready said.. then u have taken one turn 1000times u don´t need it that mutch.

one also said: depending of the tyres etc etc: i have one spot that are the cold tyres, and one for the warm tyres and for me it works.

but like i said.. i´m drifting.. racing should work almost the same i guess.
There are tons of reference points.

Curb start and end.
Color changes in track surface.
Cones along the side of the track.
Distance markers.
Billboards.
Haybales, Tires, Posts.
The corner itself;
The list goes on.

Knowing your position and speed of travel you know where you can go. I am actually working on, at least it is on hold at the moment but I start and stop it from time to time, an AI project that is using reference point information to judge the line they want to follow. This is for experimental purposes as well as making the AI behave more human like.

Why is seeing something go off the edge of the screen "not reliable"? If you brake when X object get off screen each time, that is a pretty reliable braking spot. Good luck.
Quote from blackbird04217 :Why is seeing something go off the edge of the screen "not reliable"?

I'm guessing because, depending on where on the track you are (ie. on the racing line or not) things will go off the edge of the screen at different points on the track.
Quote from obsolum :I'm guessing because, depending on where on the track you are (ie. on the racing line or not) things will go off the edge of the screen at different points on the track.

yup, or a very slight change in angle as you approach the corner.

I'll have a look at turning mip bias on the grass up to minimum if it isn't already. thanks.
Than you simply "plan" for the change. That part just takes practice to get right and be good with the judgment - practice. The closer an object is to your idea braking spot the easier it is to judge. If you are off your racing line you will need to take actions that require practice.
Yes, but if that object moves....you're screwed

IIRC a Porsche at the Ring used a spectator as a braking point, the spectator moved ten feet....yeah, the Porsche nearly wrecked
Well, that should be quite obvious wouldn't it? Don't use spectators, shadows or moving objects as your reference point? I mean somethings you can't avoid; but you change you plan dynamically. It is best to have more than 1 reference point for each action as well. That way when your 'good' rp is hiding from view, (car between you and it), or moved you can detect this based on other reference points and still make the corner safely, even if not your ultimatum speed.
#15 - senn
I would concur with blackbirds list. Also watching people who are better drivers than you/lapping faster. Sometimes you will need a better setup to be able to brake where they do tho. Practice, practice practice.
Quote from blackbird04217 :Well, that should be quite obvious wouldn't it? Don't use spectators, shadows or moving objects as your reference point? I mean somethings you can't avoid; but you change you plan dynamically. It is best to have more than 1 reference point for each action as well. That way when your 'good' rp is hiding from view, (car between you and it), or moved you can detect this based on other reference points and still make the corner safely, even if not your ultimatum speed.

Well not to that Porsche driver :P

But yeah, I agree with what you are saying

Track Markers
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG