The online racing simulator
Two questions about the new tyre physics and the tyre sidewalls (april update)
Hi There,

As I read from the April update page on lfs.net yesterday, there will be a huge improvement in what tyres react like ingame. Will these new calculations be a significant additional load for the CPU (asking this because I don't have the very best CPU... P4 1.4GHz)?

The second question is about the new tyre sidewalls. You offer 4 default designs for them with well known tyre brands. Will the sidewalls also be skinnable in this or any later version?

Thanx for answering in advance,
Stalker
#2 - Vain
1. Propably no change.
2. Propably skinable.

Vain
1) I expect some minor performance loss because of more complex calculations.

2) Making tyres skinnable would mean some additional work on it. As someone said some time before, tyres are deformating during races so the sidewalls textures must deformate too. Making these texures is more difficult IMO.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
@MadCatX: yes, tyres are deformating during race, but the pre-defined sidewall-textures should also deformate, shouldn't they? I don't think that the sidewall-deformations of these pre-designed things have been rendered before... so it shouldn't be too much work to deformate the skinned sidewalls instead of the pre-defined... IMHO.
If you look at the pictures the whole sidewall is, other than the text, very bland. I wonder if the text if the only part of the sidewall texture, or if the rest of the sidewall is included in the texture. If it was it would mean more sidewall markings, more 'noise' and then you can add chalk marks and stuff. But as it is is a bit plain (though an overall improvement - can't wait to try it).
@tristan, i may make some 'bump' like textures for the standard and low end cars at some point in time when i get better at making sidewalls

we'll see what happens first though
What I mean is CAN we do that, or is the texture only the text? I've got several bumpety textures I use for sidewalls already which would be quite easy to convert, but only if the whole sidewall is textured by the dds.
oh.. good point

..hm.. by the looks of it, i guess it is only text... dunno
April Update? do i need a new patch?
yea, anyday in this month there will be a new patch.
new physics.
some fixes.
read www.liveforspeed.net for more infomations.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG