The online racing simulator
Lfs virus!! Help! [3rd party mod]
I went on illegal link removed and downloaded this file illegal link removed. it was suppose to be a subaru skin for the RB4.
DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT, IT IS A VIRUS.

After properly installing the car skins into the correct LFS folders, i started up the game and the skin worked great.

but then all of a sudden my screen started showing large pixles all over the screen randomly.

i could tell something was malfunctioning, and assumed it was the new skin i just downloaded.

so i went into the LFS folder and deleted the new skin and put back the defaults.

try to play LFS and still doesnt work, game gets very laggy with random large pixles and eventually freezes.

so now i figure it messed up the games files some how.

so i go to uninstall LFS, when i do, the uninstall.exe starts up and deletes all of LFS, but then without stopping, it starts uncontrollably deleting ALL my music, games, and everything else that was in the same folder as the uninstall.exe.
I couldnt not click "cancel", i tried...
i also tried going into taskmanager to stop the process but it wasnt visible.

after this uninstalled all of my files (not in recycling, just disappeared) my computer wouldnt not start back up. it would just stay a blue screen with random large pixles and lines.

i already deleted all of the LFS files but somehow the virus got outside of the LFS folder because in a folder for a different game i found empty folders titled "car_subaru_v6", "car_skyline_v6", "car_vet_v6", but i know i didnt extract them to that folder, and i didnt even download any skyline or vet skins in the first place.

has anyone else got this virus?
#2 - amp88
I'm pretty sure linking to LFS Mods on the official LFS Forum is against the rules. You'd be better off trying to contact the admin team for the actual website rather than asking for technical assistance on the official forum (which has nothing to do with that 3rd party site...). Additionally, your thread title is quite misleading. Your virus (if it is a virus) has nothing to do with LFS itself, rather with a 3rd party website.
i just checked all the subaru mods on that site and they're all vob/dds/pic mods, and don't contain any executable material... i smell something fishy here...
If you downloaded all your skins and files from LFS Forum/LFS Database, you wouldn't have a problem
i can make skins and pictures with virus inside of them its rly very easy and i dint see any protection in lfs database about them otherwise i dint and i wont make virus skins because thats bad
Quote from gregisfast :so i go to uninstall LFS, when i do, the uninstall.exe starts up and deletes all of LFS, but then without stopping, it starts uncontrollably deleting ALL my music, games, and everything else that was in the same folder as the uninstall.exe.

WHY do you in the first place have music and games in the lfs-folder?
Quote from BOSCHO :i can make skins and pictures with virus inside of them its rly very easy and i dint see any protection in lfs database about them otherwise i dint and i wont make virus skins because thats bad

Last time I uploaded something to LFSDB they check/confirm the file before making it public. Don't know if that is still the case
A good lesson to new LFS users, don't download illegal mods?

Just a thought.

SD.
There shouldn't be any problems at all no matter where do you download stuff from.

I believe that you have done something wrong or there is a problem with your PC that has nothing to do with LFS. It is not possible for skins or car meshes to contain a virus as bunder already pointed out.

Weird pixels you saw suggest overheating or damaged graphics card rather than a virus, but it's hard to tell without a screenshot. What puzzles me is the uninstaller which you claim to have deleted all your files. Installer is a new thing to LFS, so it might have some unrevealed bugs. Mind if I ask where was LFS installed on your PC?

You computer not starting up with a messed up screen only raises the suspicion of a broken graphics card.

I've done a bit of a googling for those "car_xxx_v6" files and they seem completely unrelated to LFS to me. Maybe something you've downloaded long time ago and forgotten about it?
Quote from gregisfast :........... the uninstall.exe starts up and deletes all of LFS, but then without stopping, it starts uncontrollably deleting ALL my music, games, and everything else that was in the same folder as the uninstall.exe.

At that point you probably would've been better off either
A) Pulling out the big chord in your computer
or
B) Pushing down the BIG BUTTON before the exe screws everything up?

I also think it wasn't LFS and that you had an existing virus which you activated with the uninstall.
Then don't download skins from some unknown sites, there are plenty at lfs forum.
ok well thanks for the help, i didnt know that there were "official" mods that were safe to DL, i just did a google search and clicked on one of the sites.

i had LFS extracted onto the 2nd drive on my computer, because the 1st one is already out of space.

the location was

D:gregsstuff/LFS

my music and everything else was also in "gregsstuff" when it got deleted, but it didnt delete anything outside of the gregsstuff folder.

i was just coming on here to see if this had happened before. i already downloaded many anti-malware programs but none of them found anything.

i guess ill just have to hope for the best...
Quote from Thread Title :Lfs virus!! Help! [3rd party mod]

There's the fail.
Yep, danny spotted it!

Dont download shite and you will not have any problems
Quote from gregisfast :so i go to uninstall LFS, when i do, the uninstall.exe starts up and deletes all of LFS, but then without stopping, it starts uncontrollably deleting ALL my music, games, and everything else that was in the same folder as the uninstall.exe.

Once I was reinstalling LFS, because I couldn't see it in XFIRE, but it was for other reasons, nevermind. When I clicked unninstal.exe, ti deleted not only game files, it deleted WHOLE GAME, including skins, setups, and all that stuff.
So, LFS unninstaller just deletes the game folder, not the files in it.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Yep, danny spotted it!

Dont download shite and you will not have any problems

I just have to add to this that viruses don't just "come", they are downloaded by people who are too immature to be using the internet wisely, or those who fail to keep on top of maintenance tasks which should be undertaken by everybody. No exceptions.

I'm guessing you've disabled your antivirus software?

Now here's the problem. I don't believe that a 3rd party mod would contain a virus that only affects LFS graphics. I can't see it happening.

What I think has happened, is that you've FUBAR'ed your graphics card, not realised what the actual problem is, then decided to systematically destroy your PC.

What card do you have? Do we perhaps think that the skin resolution was too high for his graphics card to handle, which prompted it to overheat, corrupting the display? Perhaps using a part of corrupted Graphics memory that exacerbated the situation?

The lesson here, is that you MUST ensure that you learn to use the internet responsibly. I can't tell you how many machines I've personally had to waste man-hours on cleaning machines from virus infections caused by irresponsible computer users who simply refuse to learn how to use the internet responsibly, and learn how to determine if something looks dodgy.

At the moment, I'm struggling to comprehend what you now need help with? Restoring your files? If so, I'm not sure its wise to inform you about deep file restoration if you're willing to download dodgy files from a result in Google.

If its just LFS you now need help with, cut your losses and install a new version from the website. Don't use unauthorised modifications as you can corrupt your machine.

And lastly, for the love of God download some decent antivirus and firewall software and keep it up to date and enabled!

When was the last time you used Windows Update out of interest?

Quote :after this uninstalled all of my files (not in recycling, just disappeared) my computer wouldnt not start back up. it would just stay a blue screen with random large pixles and lines.

Definitely graphics card related, unless the "random large pixels and lines" are infact a BSOD error code.....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG