The online racing simulator
Button to get MBE
(38 posts, started )
Button to get MBE
Full Story

Erm, sorry, I'm a huge fan an' all that, but why?

MBE

Awarded for:
  • achievement or service in and to the community of a responsible kind which is outstanding in its field or
  • very local 'hands-on' service which stands out as an example to others
#2 - 5haz
When he wins 2 or 3 world championships, he should have an MBE.
Hamilton got an MBE for winning the WDC, Hill's got an OBE, presumably he had an MBE for winning the WDC but I can't remember.

Hell, even my driving instructor had an MBE and he didn't win shit!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Hamilton got an MBE for winning the WDC, Hill's got an OBE, presumably he had an MBE for winning the WDC but I can't remember.

Hell, even my driving instructor had an MBE and he didn't win shit!

Maybe your driving instructor did something selfless and outstanding for his local community and hence he deserved it.

Hamilton and Hill, like Button, are/were paid handsomely for taking part in a sport they love, while receiving help from others to achieve their own personal goals. Don't get me wrong, they are indeed magnificent sporting achievements, but are such activities really deserving of an Honour?
#5 - 5haz
Money can buy honour, at least in this country. :mischievo
Quote from dungbeetle :are such activities really deserving of an Honour?

I don't know. It doesn't really matter though, does it? You go to the palace, get your badge, say hello to the queen briefly and bugger off home again. It's not like an MBE is anything more than a day out.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't know. It doesn't really matter though, does it? You go to the palace, get your badge, say hello to the queen briefly and bugger off home again. It's not like an MBE is anything more than a day out.

Sure, when it comes to life the universe and everything, then no, I guess the Honours List doesn't really matter that much.

But when you take Hamilton's, Hill's and Button's Honours in context with some others, it just makes me wonder.

For example, here are a couple of recipients who, IMHO, were deserved of them:

John Carpenter, MBE

John Carpenter was awarded an MBE for services to disabled people in Berkshire, Cornwall and nationally, in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2007.
He has used his knowledge and skills as an engineer to design and build devices for disabled people which are not available on the commercial market.
He does this work through Remap, a network of volunteer craftsmen and engineers working to help disabled people go about their lives.

George Loble, MBE

George Loble was awarded an MBE for services to the Women's Cancer Detection Society in Gateshead and to the community in Newcastle upon Tyne, in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2007.
He is Chair of the Women's Cancer Detection Society and has worked tirelessly to raise funds for equipment and research.

Hopefully you can see the point I'm trying to make.
sure your point is valid but lets be honest... in 500 years wholl know the difference?
Quote from Shotglass :sure your point is valid but lets be honest... in 500 years wholl know the difference?

Maybe you should have said 1000 years, because the Honours list originated during Edward III's reign back in the mid 1300's.

Apparently there are still records of those Honours today (some 600+ years later).

They should make it so if you get an MBE you get to snog the queen, or have a bit of a fumble or whatever. Would you rather have a medal, or the opportunity to say "I've had her" every time the queen's on telly?
... unless you're just a lowly racing driver, then I think you should only get a flash.
Can't believe I forgot to make a 'Member' of the British Empire joke. I should be cast out of the forums for that.
If Chris Hoy gets a bleeding Knighthood for being able to ride his bike real fast, then I think a meagre MBE for a British F1 World Champion is not at all unreasonable.
Quote from sinbad :If Chris Hoy gets a bleeding Knighthood for being able to ride his bike real fast, then I think a meagre MBE for a British F1 World Champion is not at all unreasonable.

Please, don't get me started on the whole Honours for "Sports Personalities" thang ...
Quote from dungbeetle :Please, don't get me started on the whole Honours for "Sports Personalities" thang ...

Not much point in singling out Button then is there
i always find it funny how UK is full of twats that moan when we dont have a british champion in something and as soon as we do they run them into the ground with stupid remarks about them not deserving it. Would you think the same if you'd worked for years and years to win something? no didnt think so
There are over 100,000 people in that order.. It's not REALLY anything special
#18 - 5haz
I like the idea of a 'Button to get MBE' though.
That's like discrimination and shit, like racism but worse, against toggles and studs and shit like that, isn't it
Quote from trebor901 :i always find it funny how UK is full of twats that moan when we dont have a british champion in something and as soon as we do they run them into the ground with stupid remarks about them not deserving it. Would you think the same if you'd worked for years and years to win something? no didnt think so

It's a sad, yet typical thing. We build them up then a couple of months down the line we are ready to knock them down. We just can't celebrate success in the UK.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :We just can't celebrate success in the UK.

That little nugget of shit was used to criticise the anti- X-Factor christmas no.1 campaign.
Quote from thisnameistaken :the opportunity to say "I've had her" every time the queen's on telly?

Or when you put change in your pocket you could say "Not the first time the Queens head has been so close to my junk". To be honest I think everyone should get an honour of some kind, just so we could all have lots of letters after our names and confuse people from other countries with them.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Or when you put change in your pocket you could say "Not the first time the Queens head has been so close to my junk". To be honest I think everyone should get an honour of some kind, just so we could all have lots of letters after our names and confuse people from other countries with them.

Whenever I have to fill out my name and address online and there's a compulsory title field I always select 'Other' and then put something ridiculous, just to see if it makes it onto the mail they send me. So far I've had parcels to Professor... and also Grandmaster...

If I could have N.O.B. after my name too, well that would be dandy.
My brother once subscribed to a work magazine as Assistant Leak Detector. Now we get all sorts of junk mail addressed as such.
I rarely end up filling out forms online now unless I'm buying something, and they always insist your name's the same as on the card you're using. So I think my opportunities for fun and games are fairly limited now unless I set up a bank account in the name of DESTRUCTAZOR THE MIGHTY or something.

Button to get MBE
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG