The online racing simulator
canadians - what do you make of this tv tax?
We'll all probably end up paying it, cause I mean who doesn't wanna have cable TV? It's obviously stupid, we already pay 13% sales tax here in Ontario (on everything we buy, including cable TV service), so why the hell do we have to pay another tax on top of that? It's ridiculous! And especially since they don't even need the extra money! This is just pure greed on the part of cable TV companies! I for one am not a happy customer. But what am I supposed to do? I want cable TV service.
i dont know really... i should show this to my parents ( they pay everything )... they probably dont even know what's comming....
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :We'll all probably end up paying it, cause I mean who doesn't wanna have cable TV?

*raises arm*

Haven't watched TV by myself in years, although I do occasionally join in when friends are watching it, half the time it's a DVD anyway. Aren't there better things to do in Canada? Although in fairness apparently people in the UK watch 3.8 hours of TV per day, on average. I dunno how they do it, that's like all my spare time every day. After about 45 minutes I'm usually itching to get out of the room and do something, unless it's a good film.
I find it hilarious that all the Cable channels are airing advertisements that say "NO TO TV TAX".

I dunno, I probably won't ever buy cable.. just get my freaking internets and be done with it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I dunno, I probably won't ever buy cable.. just get my freaking internets and be done with it.

Until the Internet Tax/Licence is introduced. jjeezz wake up dude!
I'm pretty sure I already pay my ISP for that one.
Quote from bunder9999 :I'd cancel my cable, but then I wouldn't have any tv.

How about you guys? Are you going to pay the fee, or cancel?

Basically, this sounds very much like the TV-fee we got here, it's ~230€/year per household. But since the broadband connections have become pretty much standard and RSS feeds keep you up to date with latest news, many people including me have stopped watching TV altogether. But, this will be fixed soon by extending the TV fee to households with broadband connections and upping the price to ~300€/year.

Gotta love paying for "services" that you don't need.
-
(gezmoor) DELETED by gezmoor
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm pretty sure I already pay my ISP for that one.

I just drove a bike though my town on that concept. Police pulled me over and said "where's your license?" I said "errr... I paid for fuel and a the bike. That's my 'license'"

He said "That's not a license"

"But dawdust says that an ISP is a license to the internet like fuel and a bike gives us access/license to the road."

He laughed and i was immediately arrested and given lessons in the english language. Apparently access and license have different meanings. Who woulda known?

Worst bit of advice ever! THANKS!

and btw - http://www.computeractive.co.u ... osal-internet-tax-illegal
If you were actually arrested, the forum would be a lot less retarded.

Sadly you haven't been, so your silly story is retarded.
The CRTC is probably the most annoying thing we've got in Canada. All that it does is bothering me, mostly because I do spend a lot of time using services that the CRTC rules (with an iron grip).

Tax. I've got a lot of it; at least too much for what I get in return. I'm probably among the most taxed populations on the planet, so I guess that this particular tax is just one among others which I find awful (like, say, paying a specific amount of money for healthcare which I find deficient).

That said, cable companies aren't sweet fluffy rabbits either. The cost is increasing (particularly on the internet) and the service is getting worse. I think my ISP's service center is in Pakistan, or maybe India. Wherever it is, I don't understand them very well. That's if I choose the english option. If I go for french, they seem to invent another language right on the spot to talk to me with.
Quote from Bob Smith :*raises arm*

Haven't watched TV by myself in years

This.

I can waste more than enough time without the boob tube, I don't know where yall find the time for that. I don't have cable right now, and won't have it in the forseeable future.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :If you were actually arrested, the forum would be a lot less retarded.

Sadly you haven't been, so your silly story is retarded.

lol too bad for us
wow isn't our new progressive world great, look at all the shiny new taxes!.
adding new taxes all the time....that's what drives people to piracy (not the arrgh ...ahoi mattey kind :P)...
screw the tax...i'll just get a card for my reciever ...that's all i heard from people so far concerning the new t.v tax...

i'm considering doing the same...why pay for t.v and another tax...when i can get it for free.
Quote from simulation :adding new taxes all the time....that's what drives people to piracy (not the arrgh ...ahoi mattey kind :P)...
screw the tax...i'll just get a card for my reciever ...that's all i heard from people so far concerning the new t.v tax...

i'm considering doing the same...why pay for t.v and another tax...when i can get it for free.

Another thing to consider is, whole broadcasting model is outdated. Basically you pay for content that may or may not be what you want, even "latest news" are usually on 24h delay compared to internet news-sites. As for tv-shows, DVD boxes are not that expensive, you get to watch shows on your schedule and in better quality.
I don't watch TV Anyways, and don't have cable, so it doesn't affect me; still bothers me, but I'm not inclined to do anything about it.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG