The online racing simulator
What is, What has Happened
(111 posts, started )
Quote from hyntty :
Now my point is that you (and Kev) can not possibly, by any means, have gone through all the content there is in Live for Speed since I have still got numerous car/track combos I have never tried.

You know, the "YOU HAVEN'T EVEN RACED ALL THE COMBOS YET!!" card is starting to get old.

What I do find funny (not pointing at anyone), are the new guys acting like they have been around since day one telling oldies off like they know better what we want.
Quote from Matrixi :You know, the "YOU HAVEN'T EVEN RACED ALL THE COMBOS YET!!" card is starting to get old.

ShutupLFSisstillALPHA!
Quote from thisnameistaken :but I'm not content to drive GTRs around Aston National for my entire ****ing life like most people are.

Thursday nights CD1 changes from AS3 to another track and runs 8 races with 4 cars (2 races each) and thats great fun. come and have a run out

all welcome
Quote from Matrixi :You know, the "YOU HAVEN'T EVEN RACED ALL THE COMBOS YET!!" card is starting to get old.

Well tbh so is the "THERE'S TOO LITTLE CONTENT I WANT NEW CARS AND TRACKS AND SCIROCCOS IN LFS NOW11!!!ONE!" one too...

Quit the whining. Really.
Quote from hyntty :Well tbh so is the "THERE'S TOO LITTLE CONTENT I WANT NEW CARS AND TRACKS AND SCIROCCOS IN LFS NOW11!!!ONE!" one too...

Quit the whining. Really.

One thing I've often found useful is reading the ****ing thread before replying to it.
Quote from Matrixi :What I do find funny (not pointing at anyone), are the new guys acting like they have been around since day one telling oldies off like they know better what we want.

No one's telling any of the "oldies" what they want. Hell, it seems they themselves don't even know what they want It's just that the OP's post doesn't make much sense if you really think about it; I'm still waiting for the answer to what it really is the OP misses in LFS now compared to the "good old days".

Also, I find it unfortunate that this topic had to turn into yet another discussion about development speed. That wasn't what the OP's post was about at all, and we've discussed any and every argument in that discussion ad nauseum in numerous other threads. It never changes anything.
Quote from hyntty :Can I point out something. Comparing your statistics to mine you've done 18 625 more km than me while being around an extra 4 years, meaning I would catch you up in less than a few months.

Now my point is that you (and Kev) can not possibly, by any means, have gone through all the content there is in Live for Speed since I have still got numerous car/track combos I have never tried.

But hey, I'm sure you as someone who doesn't play the game at all have a point in the dev team merely sitting on their arses

You can compare online stats all you want, I'll freely admit I haven't had an online race in ages, and that was after a 6 month hiatus.

I also haven't hotlapped in an eternity, although I'd bet I've done at least half as many miles again off-line in the 7 years I've had LFS on my computer, and god knows how many before they even started counting. And "lol" I'm still on the top 50 all-time race wins total chart, so trust me, I've played the damn game enough to be able to comment.

Have I driven all the cars I like on every circuit I like, of course I have. Do you sit there thinking, "hmm, I'm a bit tired of Aston National in the GTRs, but hey, I haven't driven the UF1000 on the oval yet, and I haven't found an online server running BF1 on Aston Cadet Reversed, so I'll go and look for one!"? Maybe if it were so easy, maybe if online numbers had been kept really high, I would have not drifted away.

Don't talk nonsense when you've been here 2 years. You comment on how other people "should not be bored yet", you've done 2000 laps of the oval, 1 in ten of your 20,000 is an oval lap in FO8, no wonder the other stuff is interesting still.
Why the oldtimers with a few exceptions are not coming back onto LFS is very clear.
The immature nature of todays LFS players is scaring the away.
Quote from hyntty :...Quit the whining. Really.

I don't think this thread is about whining whatsoever...
Quote from birder :
Due to getting bored of waiting i recently purchased v1.1 of nKpro for 19e and its latest physics are better (imo) than LFS but there are 12 servers and the most i have seen on them at one time so far is 7 players, normally its 1.

There is indeed very little pickup racing going on, but head over to Race2Play in the new year if you want some top quality league racing. They are running championships in all the cars except the FF1800. The F2000 and FTarget leagues have really taken off. More and more people are discovering nKPro and race2play are doing a great job of promoting it and organizing races.

As for the OP. It's obvious that the old school LFS racers have all moved on to sims that deliver what LFS promised to be but never quite made it. It has now fallen behind the competition by a considerable margin imo.

There is a new crowd here these days that don't particularly want the most realistic and "hardcore" (apologies for that expression...i cant think of another ) sim experience. All you have to do is look at the names in iRacing and nKPro and you'll find all the old, good LFS racers.
Having fun in sim racing means good, clean racing in cars with the best physics (and some nice visuals as a bonus) doesn't it? That's why a hell of a lot of the old school have moved on.

I've no doubt that a visual makeover, the new tire physics, updated track surfaces and some new content would bring a lot of them back. Until then your stuck with the current LFS crowd and it's dated game mechanics. Live with it or find yourself another sim.
Quote from thisnameistaken :If there are combos I haven't raced online it's because there was nowhere to do it or nobody to do it with, or it's a stupid combo like BF1/BL2.

If there were busy pick-up servers running interesting content I'd probably still be playing LFS, but I'm not content to drive GTRs around Aston National for my entire ****ing life like most people are.

Whilst I do agree with you, what you want is verging on impossible to do.

We've (My team and I) have attempted to run servers with unusual combos before, and as a general rule, they fail epically. No matter how much encouragement you give people, they don't want to race a combo if they're no good at it. This covers both cars with *interesting* handling such as the RAC and MRT, as well as perhaps the more powerful cars like the LX6.

The problem about running these servers is you can't initially get enough people into your server to make other people want to join. If the server isn't populated, people won't join it.

You can't really blame server hosts and admins, because some try hard to push the more unusual combos, but their efforts are useless if the net result is 2 people in their server. The tried and tested combos are used by many because that's what gets people in their server, and for many hosts/admins, that's what is most important.
Quote from JO53PHS :We've (My team and I) have attempted to run servers with unusual combos before, and as a general rule, they fail epically. (...) The problem about running these servers is you can't initially get enough people into your server to make other people want to join. If the server isn't populated, people won't join it.

You say "you and your team". How many are in your team then? If you all join the server to have some fun, that may well be enough to make other people join, too. Dead Men Racing (dMr) have run unusual combos for years and never failed to draw people in. Of course, dMr has a decent number of active drivers who solely race on the dMr server, so as a result there'll usually be at least about 7 people on. That's usually enough to get other people to at least come and have a look.

Of course, results vary depending on the combo. Some weeks we get 20+ gids, other weeks we only get 10 drivers. But there's almost always enough people on to have a decent race. Now with the holidays, though, things might be a bit slower, especially since the server is set to TBO's @ FE RallyCross for the time being, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. It certainly isn't mine
Quote from JO53PHS :We've (My team and I) have attempted to run servers with unusual combos before, and as a general rule, they fail epically. ...

You can't really blame server hosts and admins, because some try hard to push the more unusual combos, but their efforts are useless if the net result is 2 people in their server. The tried and tested combos are used by many because that's what gets people in their server, and for many hosts/admins, that's what is most important.

I don't know what your situation was but of course if your primary concern is being popular then you're only going to offer populist content. I agree most hosts strive for popularity above all else, and that's why there's no diversity.

So yeah I can blame server hosts.
I BLAME MIDDLE AGED SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS WHO LIVE IN ENGLAND!

/thread.
Yes, you can blame server hosts when they just stick with the usual crap, but when they try to mix it up a bit, there's only so much they can do.
Well either way, there's not much point in a racing sim that's got three combos, which is what you get online.
#68 - th84
3? I usually only see 1 that has more than 2 people in it.

You must be counting cruise servers.....
Thank you everybody for you comments, good or bad. It does make me laugh, in that people say "here comes fordie with his yearly rant and rave" but clearly, they are not reading my posts properly. Its not a rant or rave, it is clearly a statment of opinion, just like everybody else does.

OK look back, if I was ranting and raving about content, drivers, server's etc etc, why on earth does an overnight post goes to over 3 pages, clearly I am not on my own here.

Thisnameistaken hit the nail on the head.....

Well either way, there's not much point in a racing sim that's got three combos, which is what you get online

All I am saying and what I am trying to get at is, it would be "nice" to have some servers that are there purly for fun, no rules, no regs, jump on and go. OK you say there is plenty out there, but half full, even 1/4 full, then please point me in that direction. Remember when the server list was short, and you had to queue and wait for a slot.......

People say there is not enough content, total trosh, there is enough combo's to keep people going for years, but what we need is options, choice, not the same old same old.......like TNIT said above.

Its funny also, the people that have been about for donkey's neither slate or slag people off. They not only sometimes understand somebodies opinion but also respect it.

As LFS grows, so does the community, its popularity choice, which is great for LFS and the Devs and us as a whole, but lets be brave and extend the choice.

All you server owners, you lucky buggers you why not ask us mere mortals what would we like to see online, what combo's in a revolving format ( I take it insim can do this ) would us pick up and go people would like to have a bubble with?

Demands are to be negoiated. If told then one will diverse ( training coming in there )

Hope that makes sence, and so nice to see the foundations of LFS getting involved in what I would class as a good discussion

Regards

Fordie
Quote from th84 :3? I usually only see 1 that has more than 2 people in it.

You must be counting cruise servers.....

I was having a guess, something like GTR@AS3, FOX or FBM at BL1 and maybe that SO layout that came in a patch that time.

Have a good christmas by the way matey.
These are the top 28 servers as of 5 minutes ago:

Excluding drift servers we have 9 combos:

GTR at AS National
FOX at KY National REV
XFG & XRG at BL GP
TBO & GTR at BL GP
FBM at BL GP
XFG & XRG at BL Rallycross
GTR at KY Oval
FOX at AS North REV
TBO at WE International REV

There are only 9 servers running anything other than XFG & XRG or FBM at BL GP. Only 3 of those have more than 12 people playing. As far as I know, FOX Junkies is the only one of those that ever changes which track it's running.

I'm not sure how people can be content with running the exact same car and track day after day, but it seems most of them can.
Quote from The Moose :There is indeed very little pickup racing going on, but head over to Race2Play in the new year if you want some top quality league racing. They are running championships in all the cars except the FF1800. The F2000 and FTarget leagues have really taken off. More and more people are discovering nKPro and race2play are doing a great job of promoting it and organizing races.

Sorry to say i find it difficult to line up the time with other peoples times so pickup racing is all i can manage at the moment, But thanks for the info
Quote from ChiliFan :There are only 9 servers running anything other than XFG & XRG or FBM at BL GP.

There are 100's of servers that run other combos, CD runs 4 that you can select on entry. Whats missing is racers who want to race on them.

For years CD1 was the AS3/GTR server and you may think that its just changed over to AMG when in fact very few of the AMG racers are the old CD1 racers.

Notice how many on you list are Demo, and mark my words on the day Rockinham, the new physics or the VWS come out there will be loads full and they will all be running the new combo

Well for a month anyway
Quote from birder :Whats missing is racers who want to race on them.

Thats the most important thing. So eh ???
The people in this thread alone who voiced their desire for other combos than the usual cliché ones would be enough to at least half fill a server, yet instead of doing something you rather bicker about it on the forums... I'm sorry guys, you only have to blame yourselves for not putting your words into action...

What is, What has Happened
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG