People using nVidia 3D Vision
(23 posts, started )
Try adding this registry entry:

HKLM\Software\nVidia Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs\LFS\

Name: StereoConvergence
Type: DWORD
Value: 3e3a8615 (HEX)

You can now crank up the depth for huge sense of scale, while sitting inside the cockpit, without the dashboard being sliced in half and getting a migrane.

As standard, LFS tries to render the dashboard as popping out from the screen, and everything else as being inside it.
Using this, it sets the dashboard to be inside too, feeling more natural, and allowing you to increase the strength of the effect with the interior being rendered correctly.
I've been thinking about trying out 3DVision. I just need to get some 3D glasses. Is it really worth it, though? I can't help but think it's more a gimmick than anything else.
There are also keyboard shortcuts for increasing and decreasing convergence to help tweak for personal taste...

In the NVidia control panel, select Stereoscopic 3D -> Set up stereoscopic 3D -> Set Keyboard Shortcuts

Then show advanced in-game controls, Select Enable advanced in-game settings:

CTRL+F5 = Decrease Convergence
CTRL+F6 = Increase Convergence
CTRL+F7 = Save in-game changes
CTRL+F11 = Cycle Frustrum Adjustment (?)
T.K.Jode:

Awesome! I thought they did away with that. I used to use shutter glasses years ago and remember being able to adjust the convergence on the fly. Cheers.

obsolum:

3DVision is a complete gimmick in any game or application BUT racing sims or flying sims in my own experience.

If you use it for stuff like Tomb Raider, or Call of Duty, it's just a gimmick, and with the latter kind of game, it will actually slow you down as you have to keep adjusting the convergence of your eyes to "see" things at different distances. In 99% of games, it adds nothing (although it DOES look good) and will probably slow you down and get old fast. It did with me.

For flight sims like IL2, it's staggering being able to see that your wing is so high up off the ground. When you see another plane out the window, you get an instant sense of where it is in space.
For race sims, I personally actually find it helpful for picking out braking points and connecting with apexes.
It's another kind of feedback that other people don't get. Your brain must use the convergence of your eyes to gauge distance when focused on an object, so you do get a very real new sense of distance and scale with the effect, that those playing in 2D will not.
I guess it's as much a gimmick for racing/flying sims as using 2 eyes is when you drive is hehe

If you're unsure, but have a modern nVidia card, you can do the blue/red 3D effect if you can get your hands on a £1 pair of paper ones. The effect isn't as good as with shutter glasses, but it will give you some idea of what it's like without having to break the bank or take a gamble.
The sensation of speed is completely different (and better in my opinion) with a 3d setup. I've used shutterglasses from eDimensional on my old 19 CRT monitor a couple of years ago and LFS was one of the few games which benefits from the three-dimensional view.
If I wouldn't get massive headache issuses after wearing shutterglasses longer than 20 minutes I would most likely play LFS solely in 3d.
I've got a 9800GTX+ so I think that shouldn't be a problem. Are you saying that shutter glasses give a better effect than the cheap ones you get at the theatre for example? 'Cause I was thinking of just taking one of those next time I go to the movies.
#7 - zapz
I've been using 3D glasses for racing since 02' or 03'. IMO there is nothing gimmicky about it. Set up correctly it's just like looking out a window with everything outside that window rendered in life sized 3D. It's unbelievably good.

It's kind of bewildering that it's not a lot more common. In the past it required a $$ monitor, but now that you can get a 22" 120hz LCD for under $300 US it's a lot more reasonable.

Also here in the USA you can pick up a used 20" CRT flat screens with 120hz refresh rates for $10-40 on Craig's List. No one wants these huge dinosaurs on their desk anymore but they're a great way to get into 3D on the cheap.
#8 - zapz
Quote from Hoshimodo :If I wouldn't get massive headache issuses after wearing shutterglasses longer than 20 minutes I would most likely play LFS solely in 3d.

What refresh rates were you using? 120Hz (60 per eye) is the minimum. I've tried to get away with 100hz, but my eye end up blood shot.
is there any way to get my geforce GT 220 to work with it

i really want this, but i do not want to have to buy another video card

and the way i am planning right now...after i instal my ATI radeon card, i will have no more need for any other video card for my 3 moniter display

maybe that is just an excuse to go for a 5 or 6 moniter display
I was using a Eizo CRT at 150 Hz/1024*768 resolution back then, I suppose you got to train your eyes to sustain the unusual visual perception
Quote from obsolum :I've got a 9800GTX+ so I think that shouldn't be a problem. Are you saying that shutter glasses give a better effect than the cheap ones you get at the theatre for example? 'Cause I was thinking of just taking one of those next time I go to the movies.

It wouldn't work, movie ones are different. The ones you use when you go see a movie have each lens polarised a different way, so can only see light polarised the same way. The screen shows both images at once, but the glasses make sure each eye only sees the part it needs to.

The shutter glasses are just like the name says - they use an electronic shutter, similar to a camera, to blank each eye alternately 60 times a second while alternating the image on the screen at the same rate. The speed is such that you don't notice each eye alternately going blank.
Quote from zapz :What refresh rates were you using? 120Hz (60 per eye) is the minimum. I've tried to get away with 100hz, but my eye end up blood shot.

Hmm, then I guess I shouldn't try this as I've got a 22" TFT that can only handle 60hz Am I right in thinking that you need a CRT monitor then, as I think most TFT's/LCD's only use 60hz?
There are a few 120 Hz TFT's on the market like this one from Samsung
Hmm, well obviously I'm not going to buy a new monitor just to try this out, especially since the one I've got now (a Samsung SyncMaster 226) isn't even a year old, I think.

Oh well
Yesterday I tried my anaglyph glasses with iz3d driver (http://www.iz3d.com/driver ), because the nvidia driver doesn´t work anymore with forceware. I have to say it´s a lot better, because you can adjust the convergence seperately. The "optimized red/cyan" option gives the best result.
EeekiE; the issue with your convergence settings is that ghosting then becomes apparent on everything down the track - especially at high depth levels. The clouds look particularly strange.

Unfortunately without proper LFS support for 3D, there's no way to get it set-up just right. I personally just leave the depth all the way down, and tweak the convergence so there's no ghosting at all.

It means the 3D effect is quite small, but at least everything looks right.

On another note; Nvidia 3D Vision is most certainly not just a gimmick for other games. I agree with zapz on this one, and so does virtually every review on them. It's the first time ever that a 3D product works as advertised. In actual fact, it works far better in various other types of games than it does in racers/flight sims.

A prime example is Batman Arkham Asylum. It's a 3rd person action title, and has brilliant support for 3D Vision - the best, in fact. Everything appears as perfect as it would in the real world. It appears like there's a living, breathing 3D world inside your monitor that's incredibly believable - as real as the coffee cup sitting beside it. Immersive and absolutely spectacular.
hello this is the exectutive of nvidia speaking, how would you like to be featured in our nvidia commercial
Depends on how much I'd get paid?
Quote from NikLaw :Yesterday I tried my anaglyph glasses with iz3d driver (http://www.iz3d.com/driver ), because the nvidia driver doesn´t work anymore with forceware. I have to say it´s a lot better, because you can adjust the convergence seperately. The "optimized red/cyan" option gives the best result.

You using XP or Vista/w7 ? Can't seem to get anaglyph on XP to work with nvidia software. This web site is for polarised technology. Does it work with an anaglyph pair of glasses? (oh it seems to support that to, what about support for XP ?) cheers

edit: ok read the fine print Vista and XP supported. um wow.

do want.

edit2: Yes it works in XP and does anaglyph as best as it can be - it's a very polished tool and is free.
I tried nVidia's 3d Vision Discover on LfS and I must say that it looks incredible, really believable... the only problem is that for some reason the cockpits go off, but the rest of the world looks fantastic

edit: I tried iz3d right now, and you can set everything, including the cockpits... looks awesome
You need to adjust your convergence, Racer556.

I've turned my "depth" all the way down to remove the ghosting, then I've set my convergence so the cockpit looks roomy and not completely blurry.

Go into your Nvidia control panel, and enable advanced keyboard shortcuts for 3D vision. Then hold ctrl and hold f5 in game for 10 seconds, and then hold f6 for 10 seconds. You'll see a dramatic shift in how perspective is rendered.

Once you've found what you're happy with, hit ctrl + f7 to save it for that game.
Just wondering - ones who are actually using this, can you play that way for several hours? Any headaches, eye strain, etc..?
I can - had a 7 hour session the other day and was fine.

But I know that certain people get headaches, other struggle to hold the 3D effect (people particularly long or short sighted etc). It's a minority though, as far as I can tell.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG