The online racing simulator
Braking feel
(9 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Braking feel
Couldn't see a thread for this so sorry if it's been asked before.

On my Logitech DFP I've been finding that the only element of racing I get no feel in is braking, how do you get information from the car. With no feel in the pedal I find I'm going by simply braking as hard as I dare and then lifting only after I hear a lock up, seems an extremely hard thing to judge how do you do it?
you dont get a feel for it . Honestly it comes from experience. you get used to how the screen moves, the revs and sound... and you use those along with experience to anticipate things like breaks locking up or the car lifting off as you pass the crest of a hill.

there are force feedback pedals in the works though
#3 - Vain
My feedback sources:
1. Chassis movement (obviously only in cockpit-view)
2. Steeringwheel (while trail-braking)
3. Realtime interpolation of virtual simulation data of the forces acting upon the tyres using neural net structures in my head. In other words: Experience.

Vain
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#4 - ajp71
Guess I've just got to keep trying, only normally when there's no lateral load on the car that I lock up, trail braking I use the FF to tell me what the car is doing, wonder if this partly explains why there are so many sets with high rear brake bias I find a lot of the safe sets a joke because I end up locking up all the time.
#5 - Vain
Rear brake bias is nice for turning in so everyone who wants fast laptimes puts the brake bias as far back as possible while maintaining the braking effect and without screwing up the tyres too much .

Vain
#6 - ajp71
Quote from thisnameistaken :Who was it who suggested modifying the brake pedal to use a pressure sensor rather than a pot? Might be worth giving that a go.

Would be good if you could get one of those and squeeze it under your pedal with the squash ball but it sounds a bit complicated to me, I know there are the pedals with clever springs that are supposed to give a more realistic feel even if not FF are there any of these reasonably priced and designed to operate from floor level (which probably also has a lot to do with why it feels wrong)?
Before FREX pedals I used a squash ball under the brake pedal. It fooled me!
Yup, squashball'er here too. Well, actually a racquetball now that I know the difference (racquetball is larger, so it needs cut in half or slightly bigger). With this, I have normal Momo dual spring pedal feel until the pedal hits the ball (about half brakes). Then it stiffens up with the ball until the ball is compressed almost entirely (maybe 80-90%). This is where I set my braking force too now. I can still push the pedal more, but it takes considerable more effort to do so. That way, if I need just that extra bit more braking, I apply more pressure on the pedal (at the expense of possibly locking up the brakes).
#9 - ajp71
Quote from Vain :Rear brake bias is nice for turning in so everyone who wants fast laptimes puts the brake bias as far back as possible while maintaining the braking effect and without screwing up the tyres too much .

Vain

Just making that observation because IRL very few cars are set with large rear brake bias and trying to explain to real racers the concept of keeping some throttle on under braking to keep the car balanced let alone GPL

I wonder if running rearward bias is faster IRL and has simply not been tried properly after everyone assumed ground effect cars did not need them?

I was amazed when my Dads mate (who prepares 2 small single seaters with slicks + downforce) said that he runs them with 75 - 80% front brake bias. They've also both gone quicker after I finally persuaded them to move more towards understeer than oversteer.

The other thing IRL is you don't usually have the ability to set braking strength stronger than you actually need to like you can in LFS so whether it would be faster in reality with good pedal feel is debatable IMO.

Braking feel
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG