The online racing simulator
Design a cockpit [Results]
(51 posts, started )
#1 - aoun
Hey guys.

I would like to thank the people who entered in this competition and helped me out with a cockpit design for me to build.

I have to admit at first, didnt seem like there would be much competition, but with the top three im going to state, it was hard to choose who was best.

What made it really hard?

tonix's design was mainly what i was after. It involves a gokart seat that i can pick up for under $50AUD. The seating is just what i want and everything about it was just what i was after.

Bokujishin's design is amazing. The effort and ideas put into it seemed really professional. There was a spot for even a keyboard and mouse. Its really a great design, however, just not 100% what i was after. Still though, his effort and design "craft", with the ideas put in aswell, is what gave him runner up.

Bmxtwins' design, is very simple. Looks Nice, and plain. Not too complex, and could be made within a day if everything is done well. However, still was not 100% what i was after. The idea too, was great. The seating was pretty much what i was after too.

With those three discriptions, you could understand that it was hard to choose a winner and runner up.

Oh... and the point of adding a 3rd place person? Just incase some plans or confirmations dont go well with the first two, 3rd will move up a spot.

Thanks once again. Winner and runner up vouchers will be submitted hopefully soon.

Once the cockpit is finished, i would love to show the outcome (with my custom wheel being made)...

...to celebrate it too....

..you can figure the rest out
Congrats to everyone, nice designs there, but...

What tonix made is pretty much ripoff of the RFC Hyper cockpit with tweaks here and there and a monitor stand.
I know it's your comp aoun and all, but that seems wrong to me .

So finally the results
Well, I'm really happy to be the runner up (I will have a S2 license, at last!) but I am a bit disappointed, as tonix's design came out of nowhere, whereas you said in the competition thread that we had to post it...
However, I must admit it is very good and well designed too, our designs are quite similar but his looks more like the picture (that he of course tried to recreate). As I look at his design, I have a question to ask tonix: Did you use Solidworks for your design? Looking at the edges, it seems to be from a CAD software, but somehow does not look like Inventor (which I used).

Anyway, I am still pleased to have participated in this competition, as it enabled me to improve on the softwares I use, and also to create something for the first time. By the way, I'm going to remove my pdf from the other thread, and will give it to anyone who wants to build my cockpit, but I will still post images of what it looks like.

Thanks again for the competition, I'm looking forward to see the winner's cockpit built!
(and of course waiting for my license )

EDIT: concerning the software question: or is it Sketchup?
EDIT: Another render from 3ds max, with the model imported from Inventor:
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/471/lfscockpitrender1.jpg
Now i aint jealous here. its only £36 for gods sake. but its clear that toxin copied that idea! he doesn't deserve the win if im honest!
bmx used sketch up lol
grats bok on yer liscense i think you should get 1st though his (as everyone else said) looks a bit copied
#6 - Seb66
Quote from BlackEye :Congrats to everyone, nice designs there, but...

What tonix made is pretty much ripoff of the RFC Hyper cockpit with tweaks here and there and a monitor stand.

Its hardley a rip off. Everything is pretty much the same down to each corner. He's even added the little 'notches' at the very from like in that RFC hyper one lmao. It's a bloody copy!
Even i could of done that and won some $$$$

Edit; Infact, no i couldn't anyway.
Well, at least he did a good job recreating it, I think it can be more difficult than to create something from scratch (except if blueprints/dimensions can be found).
But in the end, aoun chose him, so I guess this is it.
Anyway, S2 is good enough for me (as a demo), and it was more a challenge for myself than for the prize, even if it motivated me (free update to S3 when it is released, and aoun even said my design looked professional, that's not bad) .
Bokujishin is still a winner for me
Quote from BlackEye :Congrats to everyone, nice designs there, but...

Yeah I thought he wanted something unique. Bo's was definately the rightful winner.
Thanks to all the people who like my design, it was worth making it.
By the way aoun, I rendered a new picture of my design, could you put it in the results instead of the one we can see at the moment?
Here it is:
I thought of it when I saw the picture you had chosen, it is the one without chamfers etc, and is not the real one.
The one I posted is the accurate one, just rendered quickly to make it look a bit better.
#11 - STF
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Bokujishin is still the winner for me

+1 .

Looks more comfortable once setup, sliding kb tray/tilting/locking mechanism etc.. more compact, more robust, more.. engineered.
Quote from Bokujishin :Thanks to all the people who like my design, it was worth making it.
By the way aoun, I rendered a new picture of my design, could you put it in the results instead of the one we can see at the moment?
Here it is:
I thought of it when I saw the picture you had chosen, it is the one without chamfers etc, and is not the real one.
The one I posted is the accurate one, just rendered quickly to make it look a bit better.

Looks very nice, you should have won.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Looks very nice, you should have won.

Seconded. Especially after seeing the rip off cockpit from Tonix...
-
(Heiko1) DELETED by Heiko1
Good job Bo! too bad aoun did not pick you for 1st
Very nice indeed but that 'wing-thing' looks ridiculous on that simulator... (imho)
#18 - Dmt
#19 - aoun
Hey guys.

I understand what people are saying where tonix's desingn was just a copy etc but afew things I can point out.

One, I stated that the hyper was exactly what I wanted but they closed down. Plus they couldn't fit a shifter so it was useless for me.

You all need to understand that it wasn't just copy and paste. Yes his design is based on thr hyper, but so is B's. Me and tonic spoke here and there and he went through the design from start to finish. It's completely re worked and made from scratch. I can explain this soon when I'm at home but tonix's design is almost completely different, but from a preview, it looks the same.

Also at the end of the day it's what I was after. Was hard to choose still.

I hope people understand that it wasn't just copy and paste. The inside has been completely changed. I've used a hyper before and seen it in detail, I can tell you, it's not identical.

Thanks once again.

Chris
I had no objections to him winning was just wondering.
Why do you even care? This was aoun's competition and aoun decided the winner. Who are you to tell him that his winner is "wrong"? Do your own competition if you didn't like the result here but stop moaning. This is ridiculous.

Quote from Bmxtwins :I had no objections to him winning was just wondering.

Didn't sound like it:

Quote from Bmxtwins :Bo's was definately the rightful winner.

Yeah, at the moment of writing my post I didn't know RFC doesn't make cockpits anymore.
So it didn't make sense to me why he couldn't just buy RFC Hyper or something.

Apologies to aoun and tonix .
Quote from zeugnimod :Why do you even care? This was aoun's competition and aoun decided the winner. Who are you to tell him that his winner is "wrong"? Do your own competition if you didn't like the result here but stop moaning. This is ridiculous.... ...

QFT

Come on people grow the hell up and accept that sometimes you don't know all the facts and your opinion is not the only opinion.

Well done to all winners and kudos for aoun for running the competition in the first place.
Quote from Neto_r :just one little thing

how many degrees, its necesary for the pedals, from the floor

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3262/pedalsq.jpg

45ª ? 30ª ?

mine´s are horizontal with the floor

Regards

I just noticed this post, so here is my answer:
The shelf is 25° from the floor. I looked at pictures of existing cockpits or gaming seats for this, and it looked like several have the pedals positionned like this.
It would be nice if we could get some slightly better plans to build these.

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG