The online racing simulator
Proper 3D depth perception
(43 posts, started )
ok, this stands next to no chance of getting in unless Scawen is in one of his experimental moods (which is pretty much entirely what caused the 3-screen support update if you keep up with the test-patch threads) but it's something I was thinking about tonight.

3D depth perception involves sending a different image to each eye - the current crop of 3D screens involves flicking very quickly (60 times a second) between each image, and a pair of glasses that ensure each eye only sees alternate images.

You can also produce perceptable 3D by having each images displayed at the same time and crossing your eyes so they overlap. See some here: http://www.maxforums.org/thread.aspx?tid=590247

I was thinking that with some small mirrors, cardboard and sticky-tape you could manufacture something to wear on your face like a pair of glasses that would direct each eye to a different screen in a 2 screen setup. Then, like the new multiple render 3-screen system in LFS, you just show a different camera position on each screen.

Yes, you'd look silly, but I look silly with my TrackIR hat on anyway

I've done a bit of DirectX 3D coding before, so I'm going to try and make something myself to test it out (already ordered some mirrors from Ebay )

Additional: I wonder if something similar to Kegetys' SofTH could tweak the rendering system of existing games to display a different camera position on each screen instead of a different camera angle?
Great idea, it would be awesome.
That's actually quite an ingenious idea
I suggest you test if this would actually work by running 2 instances of LFS, starting a multiplayer LAN session on one, joining with the other and letting an AI race. Then maximise the windows onto one monitor each and spectate the AI in custom view with slightly different x offsets.
Hell, I'm kinda bored, ima go test this stuffz myself
#4 - Woz
Should already be possible with NVidia drivers from what I understand. 1/2s your framerate but the drivers do the required offset and then you need the lcd shutter glasses to go with it
Quote from Woz :Should already be possible with NVidia drivers from what I understand. 1/2s your framerate but the drivers do the required offset and then you need the lcd shutter glasses to go with it

Well, the whole point of my idea is you don't need the shutter glasses (but, haha, you do need 2 screens and to wear a contraption on your face.. I have both of those things though, and no shutter glasses )
-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ
If you have a really large screen(say 30" LCD), with some goggles limiting your view propery you might be able to draw both images on it, each on a different half of the screen. The screen would have to be very close to you though.

EDIT: Lol, similar idea..
Yeah, it is possible without mirrors to get it to work just by crossing your eyes, but I wouldn't want to do it for any length of time as it makes your eyes ache a bit.

And yes, one big screen would work instead of two screens (if anyone rememebers a flight sim called Pacific Fighters from about 15 years ago, there was an option to do exactly that, with instructions to make the eyewear I'm intending to use - that's where I got the idea).

I'm going to have a go at making the mirrored goggles-things tonight and try it with some stationary images to see if the principle is sound.
Quote from MadCatX :If you have a really large screen(say 30" LCD), with some goggles limiting your view propery you might be able to draw both images on it, each on a different half of the screen. The screen would have to be very close to you though.

EDIT: Lol, similar idea..

Why should I prefer two 30'' monitors and some self-made custom mirror system for experimental glasses than a projector with some 3D glasses (like eDimensional)?

BTW: anybody tried them with different kind of projectors? Producers say that this is for now not tested with LCD type (although they could be too dark as you have darker view due to interlaced view) the older types of projectors could flicker.
Quote from AndRand :Why should I prefer two 30'' monitors and some self-made custom mirror system for experimental glasses than a projector with some 3D glasses (like eDimensional)?

Because you might already have more than one ordinary monitor (like lots of people. Also, no-one mentioned dual 30" monitors)?

And because you (and by this I mean 'I') might want the challenge of seeing if you can get it to work, to add to your portfolio of work.
Try iZ3D for that and more
Quote from Crashgate3 :And because you (and by this I mean 'I') might want the challenge of seeing if you can get it to work, to add to your portfolio of work.

ok. I cant wait to see it working
I'll take a photo of myself wearing the ridiculous eyewear too
Quote from Crashgate3 :ok, this stands next to no chance of getting in unless Scawen is in one of his experimental moods (which is pretty much entirely what caused the 3-screen support update if you keep up with the test-patch threads) but it's something I was thinking about tonight.

3D depth perception involves sending a different image to each eye - the current crop of 3D screens involves flicking very quickly (60 times a second) between each image, and a pair of glasses that ensure each eye only sees alternate images.

You can also produce perceptable 3D by having each images displayed at the same time and crossing your eyes so they overlap. See some here: http://www.maxforums.org/thread.aspx?tid=590247

I was thinking that with some small mirrors, cardboard and sticky-tape you could manufacture something to wear on your face like a pair of glasses that would direct each eye to a different screen in a 2 screen setup. Then, like the new multiple render 3-screen system in LFS, you just show a different camera position on each screen.

Yes, you'd look silly, but I look silly with my TrackIR hat on anyway

I've done a bit of DirectX 3D coding before, so I'm going to try and make something myself to test it out (already ordered some mirrors from Ebay )

Additional: I wonder if something similar to Kegetys' SofTH could tweak the rendering system of existing games to display a different camera position on each screen instead of a different camera angle?

I've thought about that too. I've got a Z800 virtual reality headset which is pretty awesome, but it leaves me wishing the images were bigger. Something with mirrors might be able to do a better job. I'm not sure, but I have a sneaking suspicion that might be how the really big virtual reality headsets with the big pod looking things on top might be working. Perhaps there might be reasonably big screens up top and you view them using a mirror system of some kind.

I'm anxious to see what you come up with and how well it works :-)
Quote from Woz :Should already be possible with NVidia drivers from what I understand. 1/2s your framerate but the drivers do the required offset and then you need the lcd shutter glasses to go with it

You can also configure it to use a classic red and blue glasses. It's not as good, but it's working. The only problem when using it with LFS is that the dash of the car if too close to the view points (or it's cause by some kind of glitch), but it's impossible to focus and see it right. But the effect on the road is pretty good.

But for me, it's impossible to use those glasses more than 10 minutes without having terrible headache...
#15 - Juls
Have you heard about Vuzix head mounted display. Two LCD screens directly in the glasses.

And I suppose it is supported by directx 8 games like NFS without any problem. The driver renders 2 views, one for each eye.

Oops sorry didn't see the post about z800. Z800 looks like better HMD, more expensive too.
i dont know...everything that is 3d, is never good....it is always too 3d, it is either wicked close to you, or normal distance

but if you could regulate it then that would be great, but maybe cartoonish
that cross-eyed thing is not a very good way to go about 3d effects. My eyes already feel weird after looking at those pictures.
Quote from Juls :Have you heard about Vuzix head mounted display. Two LCD screens directly in the glasses.

And I suppose it is supported by directx 8 games like NFS without any problem. The driver renders 2 views, one for each eye.

Oops sorry didn't see the post about z800. Z800 looks like better HMD, more expensive too.

It's the only computer thing I've ever had that has increased in value on the used market since buying it. Sad.

Maybe somebody can use those new flexible LCD screens to come up with something better and cheaper. I just spent $1600 on a 24" triple monitor setup with an RD 5870 card or whatever it is. I'd pay $500-$700 (again) for a beefed up Z800 with bigger screens or equivalent optics. The effect is quite staggering really. Just want bigger screens or the ability to pull them in a bit closer. Resolution was good enough already even at 800x600.
I've been really tempted to buy some Vuzix goggles on several occasions. I'm always put off by the 640x480 resolution.

Hopefully OLED technology will make tiny, high resolution screens cheaper and easier to produce.
The 800x600 resolution is actually surprisingly good. It looks higher than that to me. Going below that though might be a problem because I'm not so sure that many (if any) games these days support such low resolutions. Even finding ones that would do 800x600 was a hit or miss thing. Most handled it, but not all.
Quote from Agent248 :You can also configure it to use a classic red and blue glasses. It's not as good, but it's working.

Is this a mod or something in the game already? Where would I go to set it up? I'd really like to check this out...
you need a special nvidia card with special drivers
Lets assume that I do - is it in the nVidia options, and not in the game?
right click on the desktop,nvidia control panel, and somewhere in there....i dont have it so good luck
Nah - had a look, couldn't find it. Doesn't seem to exist
-
(JasonJ) DELETED by JasonJ

(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG