The online racing simulator
Processor Upgrade (Will it run MW2?)
Hello, me again with yet another probably simple-to-answer query...

I have this E3500 dual core processor, running at 2.6 ghz (5.9 on the Windows perfomance index). Unfortunately, this is the part of the PC that is letting me down. I have a 1GB GPU which vastly out-performs the processor. I want to replace the processor for one with at least 3-4 ghz, so I can run MW2 nicely. I have yet to buy the game because I know that it will run pretty poorly with the current processor (correct me if I'm wrong, please!).

I have no idea how to go about this, or what is compatible with my motherboard, which is a 'Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L Intel G41 Motherboard'.
#2 - Jakg
how do you "know" that the CPU is at fault? What is this mega 1GB GPU you have?

There aren't really any CPU's over 3 GHz - a few Phenoms come in at 3.2, but their Phenoms so they dont count, and the fastest Intel I know off is 3.06...
Well, from what I've been told it's the processor; but then again everyone has different opinions about hardware. Windows says it's 7.3, but again I don't know if can trust that. It's an ATi Radeon HD 4800. For all I know, it could also be a pile o' crap, but prior research said it was a pretty decent budget card. Budget could be the important word here, I fear.

If there are only a few cards above 3.0 ghz, does that mean they're not widely used or not many to choose from?
youre gonna have to specify what graphics card you have
the cpu should be more than capeable of running cod at decent framerates
Quote from Mp3 Astra :It's an ATi Radeon HD 4800.

I just don't understand why the minimum specs would be 3.2 ghz... Unless I'm missing something here!

Quote :Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported

But then it says...

Quote :Co-op/Multiplayer Hosting: To host Co-op or MP matches, a 2Ghz dual-core or better processor is recommended.

So you need less processor power in order to host a game? Eh?
that wont be enough since 4800 is a whole series of cards
although any 48 series card should be quite capeable of running the game well

im guessing they did single core clock rates there
the fastest processor intel currently has on sale is a 3.2ghz... and that thing will run circles around any ps3 or xbox360 both of which are able to run the game just fine
#7 - need
The Pentium 4 and Athalon are older processors. They might run faster on a purely GHz rating, but newer dual core / quad core processors can do more with a slower clock speed.
Your system should be more than adequate to run MW2, assuming you have a decent amount of RAM in it.
Ummm, 0x9442 is the only unique identifier I can find... I really have no idea.

Need, I have 3 GB RAM so that should be fine.

If you're all sure my system is in order, I will probably buy the darn game.

Thanks to all of you for your information. I pride myself on having some computer knowledge but when it comes to the actual hardware, I feel like an outsider!
there gotta be some more detailed name like 4850 somewhere in the driver menus or device manager
either way any 48 should have enough power to handle the game
You can also install Everest, it tells you everthing about your pc, so you can figure it out what vga you have.
Also you can't tell a CPU's performance from its clock speed. Usually newer generation CPUs are much faster at the same clock speed than older ones.

For example, my C2D E8200 at 2,66ghz pumps out 2,5x more FPS in LFS than my friend's Pentium D945 at 3.4ghz (with same spec PC). Even at 1,5ghz the C2D owns the Pentium D...
I would buy the E5300 off you for 15GBP.
fyi it runs perfectly fine on my 3 year old athlon 2.2ghz x2 with a 78gtx
granted it doesnt look amazing and i had to turn the graphics down rather a lot but it still looks good enough to be enjoyable
It makes me lol how everybody talks like, "u got so much ram, its not a problem".

My specs:
Intel E8200 Core2D @ 2.8Ghz
HD4870 1GB OC'd
2gb ddr2 800mhz CL5 ram <- belive it or not, 2gb is more than enough, i can run mw2 with lots of background stuff running, 60fps vSync'ed all the time.
Since when RAM amount affects FPS?
Your current CPU should be more than capable of running MW2 without any issues. I use an old P4 2.4ghz and i have no problems running it.

Some sites say P4 @ 3.2GHz and some say P4 @ 2.4GHz is minimum and since I don't have any trouble i guess 2.4GHz is the correct one.

FYI my other specs are 1,5Gb DDR ram and Gigabyte geforce 7600gs (overclocked)
Thanks everyone for your information. I'm slowly learning!
I have the game installed on both my machines,
My PC is Quad Core running at 2.8GHz with 6GB RAM & Nvidia 9800GTS runs it fine 70-80fps, v-sync, AAx4

Family PC is an AMD Athlon x2 x64 6000+ running at 3.4GHz with 2GB RAM and an old Geforce 8500GT, runs fine on there aswell 35-50fps, v-sync, AAx2

You'll be fine
Thanks again to everyone for your information. Played the game earlier today and it runs faultlessly on medium-high settings on my 1080p monitor. Many hours of fun ensued!
Glad its running ok,
I would usually have it on PC but got it for the xbox so I could play with all those friends who prefer consoles

(kinda old thread I know, but I've been away :tilt
All this talk of RAM and GPU memory.

People are aware that for 32bit processors the 4GB memory utlisation includes addressing the GPU memory, (and any other memory on any other internal components eg audio and Network card etc), right??

So if you have 4GB of RAM and a 1GB Graphics memory, the 3.5GB or so that Windows can actually address is going to be eaten in to by some of the Graphics memory.

Here is an article explaining in more detail, (by the infamous Mark Russinovich) :

http://blogs.technet.com/markr ... e/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx
E5200 not able to run MW2? Kidding me right? These CPUs can run like E8400 with moderate overclocks. You can easily get 3.5 on stock air. Regarding the 3.2 Ghz P4? The P4s architectures were built to push out more clocks, but in sacrificing instructions per clock.

So you can easily run a 1.8 ghz E6300 and still run MW2, at which the E6300 would still murder, rape and whatever the P4. E5200 may have the name Pentium on it, but it is actually a Core 2 Duo (Conroe). The older Pentium Ds were the ones that you'd need to pump out 10000 Thz to run some old game . 1.8 ghz Athlon 3200+ = Pentium 4 @ 3.2 ghz. It is NOT all about clocks, but what you can do it the clocks.

DON't sweat it. Get more RAM, overclock the good CPU, and run the 4850 as if you knew that the E5200 @ 2.6 ghz is better than a Pentium 4 @ 6 ghz!
i think do you need big processor like this
http://www.electronicsweekly.c ... 0oversize%20processor.jpg

/off

i think you need over 3ghz becouse if under then processor is limiting the vga, no?
atm i using my q9550 at 3,6ghz with zalman 9700!
and i have 4870 1GB and i have over 100 FPS in mw2

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG