The online racing simulator
Neutral in Flappy Paddles
(8 posts, started )
I was thinking.... since the Aston Martin and I think other cars has this... why not here... when you're driving a car with a sequential gear box... instead of having to downshift all the way to neutral, is there a way to assign.. or to make it available to assign the flappy paddles so that when they are both pressed at the same time, it will go into neutral.
Only car in LFS that has flappy paddles is the F1. It has a "Neutral" button on the wheel. Other cars either have regular H-gearboxes or stick sequentials.
their not called "flappy paddles", their callde paddle shift. you must of got "flappy paddles" from a top gear episode, because that's where i got "flappy paddles"
I can't say for most race cars, but if we get any paddle-shift street machines I'd love to see this implemented.
Quote from Luttsy :their not called "flappy paddles", their callde paddle shift. you must of got "flappy paddles" from a top gear episode, because that's where i got "flappy paddles"

Flappy paddles is a derogatory term, used to describe how hopelessly horrible that system is.
it works fine, i don't get how it's bad. have you actually used it on LFS?
On modern "affordable" cars that have the "flappy Paddles" there is quite a bit of delay in the shift after on of the paddles has been flapped. That is why that system is hopelessly horrible. However, as time progresses the technology will only become more affordable, making the response time faster for cheaper cars.
Quote from Luttsy :it works fine, i don't get how it's bad. have you actually used it on LFS?

Have I used it on LFS? Yes. Does that bear much resemblance to a real car? Not really.

Flappy paddles - no skill, and hence no enjoyment can be derived from gear changing. Jerky. Rubbish at low speeds unless they give you a clutch pedal (rare). Unreliable. Doesn't work well with more than about 540° of steering lock.

Sure, in a proper race car they might find a tiny amount of time per lap, and increase the drivers consistency (less likely to make mistakes, thus contributing ruining the racing for spectators and TV viewers), but they have no place in a road car that I can see.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG