The online racing simulator
Thinking of rFactor
(18 posts, started )
#1 - aoun
Thinking of rFactor
Hey guys, just need some opinions and help about rFactor.

I thought i would come here to the LFS forums, rather then say, an rfactor community or RSC forums. Reasons being it would be good to get an opinion from someone who plays LFS, rather then someone that plays rFactor. Because i know alot of people are blind and biased of their own.

Im thinking of getting this sim, mainly because of the wide range of decent (and some good) mods, which have old f1 cars, road cars and the list goes on.

However, its $50AUD roughly and was wondering, is rFactor worth it? Im pretty much after some decent mature opinions from people who have this game or has had decent experience with this game. Wheather its "CRAP" or "SHIT", id like to know maybe why, or if not, maybe whats really good about it, physics wise mostly, but even overall.

Thanks..
This feels so wrong, asking for rFactor in lfsforum. Specially the advice to buy or not. I say, dont buy it.
Quote from aoun :However, its $50AUD roughly and was wondering, is rFactor worth it?

I'd say it is. The quantity (even though sometimes the quality is s**t) of mods is making it the most flexible sim I've ever tried. You can have pretty much any cars on any tracks you want, starting from F1 to Hillclimb and from GTR racing to rally
As Niko mentioned there are a few mods that are necessary to make the feel of it be good, but after you get those - it's all a matter of downloading stuff and installing it.
Physics are OFCOURSE, weaker than in LFS or GTR Evo (All this is purely my opinion) but are good enough, and don't believe people who say you need "drift mod" to engage powerslides and hold them, proper pedalwork while sliding is actually even more needed than in LFS for example, but when done right it trully is rewarding...

My "buy" factor was the Mine's R34 GTR though, everything else came as a pleasant surprise.

(my opinion is not of the person who plays LFS or rF though, I haven't touched either for a year now...)
I love it - it's still the most-played sim I have. A lot of mods are, as a lot of people will say, rubbish, but there are some absolute gems out there. One I'm loving at the moment is the Toyota Levin AE86 mod.

Also, don't go by the feel of the default cars as they're terrible.

A big weakness is the lack of casual pickup-races you can find online, which comes as a big shock if you're used to the LFS community. If you want to play it your best bet is to join an online racing group that caters for rFactor.
#6 - Danke
Rfactor is great for filling in those bored-of-LFS-content phases. Just about any track you can think of is available to download. There is virtually no pickup racing, so you really have to find a league to race against others online. I'd recommend Race2Play, but I don't think they have a whole lot of leagues that are good for Aussie timezones.

Now I'm back to racing LFS for a while, but I'm sure the pendulum will swing back to rfactor sometime.
Quote from hazaky :I say, dont buy it.

He wasn't asking for a recommendation to buy or not, but for opinions by people who have bought it, as to the plus and minus points of the sim, so he can make up his own mind.
#8 - JJ72
Rfactor is dirt cheap for the content you have access to, it has actually more interesting content than Grand Turismo if you dare me saying. (it's seriously lacking in prestige road cars apartment but Niels is fixing that )
#9 - aoun
Thanks guys, might just buy it then.

I was happy enough with iRacing, but imo, saying paying a subscription as a substitution for paying for racing (as they once said) is just stupid. I got iRacing for 3 months, and.. it just wasnt worth it.

Thanks once again.
some mods are acctually pretty cool... but most feel like bricks with wheels and they tend to not torn or suddeenly slide...
#11 - JJ72
Make sure you pick up the 1970 World Sportscar Mod by CSGT. Driving heaven
1979 F1 Mod.

'Nuff said.

Brilliant mod.
Quote from DevilDare :1979 F1 Mod.

'Nuff said.

Brilliant mod.

hhhmmm I tried the F1 79 Mod and didn't care for it actually. But to each his own.

I say buy it...BUT and that is a big but!! Don't try the stock cars that come with it. Download the lite version. Get the HistorX Mod and some good tracks. (An excellent list can be found at dMR's website.) Then read up on how to set it all up and talk to some one who can walk you through setting it up.

You will love the feeling of driving cars over bumps for a change!!! I feel more connected to these cars than I ever felt in LFS.

It isn't as easy to get into a pickup race thats for sure. But you can still race LFS for that. This is an excellent Game to have as well as LFS.

Go for it you won't be disappointed.
#15 - JJ72
Quote from DevilDare :1979 F1 Mod.

'Nuff said.

Brilliant mod.

I am not sure about that, the FPS seems a bit low, cockpits are not the best and the car seems a bit sluggish, I know they have big fat tires but they should still be pretty light weight.
Just bought the 2008 limited edition for £10.00 , plus a free disk with the saloon stock car mod (Close short circuit racing anyone?)
The physics are not as good as LFS's (feel differs on sim) but it doesnt mean the game cant be fun, I bought my rF copy because of very realistic F1 mods. Online mode sucks there though, people use only some arcade mods with full aids on which makes it a bit boring, but if you have some mates there who are interested in same thing in Sim racing, then i totally recommend you the game. I go race with my mate Klaidas some F1 08 mod on A1-ring from times to times, We're only separated by few thousands of a second each time we race there

If you want some league experience, then you should try Race2Play, luckily i dont need to, because Finns are F1 fanatics so i have plenty of leagues available to race in which interest me..
some say it's total crap, some say that on certain mods it feels alot better than lfs...all we know is it's called rFactor.

as for me i don't play it much, i have it...have had some great races there but ...i'm tired of constantly downloading new content.

Thinking of rFactor
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG