The online racing simulator
Help in Isolating Driver Performance
As a new driver to LFS I assume that I will need to be able to consistently beat the AI on Pro before setting foot on a server.

During my practice I would like to try to take car setups out of the equation for now and just focus on driving technique.

To this end I have a few questions...

1.) When "AI uses player setup" is enabled does this actually work?

2.) If it does, then is the AI governed by the same physics model as the player?

Right now I'm running the XF GTI at Blackwood GP, 3 laps with the default Race_S setup. I have the AI set to use "Player Setup"

With the AI and myself using the same setup the only variable should be my driving performance vs the AIs.

This should only be correct IF the AI is also governed by the same physics limitations that I am.

Is this a valid way to test only driving performance?

* Right now the AI pulls away and is gone gone gone. . . boy I need practice. very frusterating

Any thoughts or comments would be very appreciated.

Thanks, and happy racing!
Yes, the AI cannot manipulate the physics, so it always uses the same physics as you. The 'AI use player setup' option also does work, so if you enable it then whether you're faster or not is a pure skill question.

Beating the Pro AI is a good benchmark for going online when you want to be sure to be at least not completely uncompetitive, however keep in mind that racing against the AI cannot be compared to racing a human. While the AI is ultimately slower, it is also very predictable and doesn't make any mistakes (that aren't complete freak screwups or miscalculations due to a strange user setup). Most human opponents, especially on public servers, have a much harder time being consistent and often don't even last a 5-lap race. Slow and steady wins a lot more than one might think at first (not first place, but you can make a lot of positions just by not crashing).
Thanks Android! I'm glad to know I can equalize the playing field with the AI. Some racing sims have the AI on their own pre-recorded path/times based on real life driver metrics that has nothing to do with the AIs setup.

As to my "Driving Performance" if you want to call it that, I must be doing something horribly wrong.

The last driving sim I raced was Simbins GTR and I could consistantly beat the AI on Pro.
I'm not that great of a driver, but I am familiar with slow in, fast out, heel toe downshifting, and threshold braking.

In LFS however, despite my best efforts the AI just utterly destroys me on Pro. They brake later than me coming in, and they get on the floor faster coming out of the turns.

I know that to practice more is the answer, but to loose every single time really does suck the fun out of things.

Thank You again for the reply.

Take care.
Uploading a replay might be a good idea to give us any hints where your driving goes wrong. To do that, first you need to record your replay.

In case you don't know how to do this, go to Options > Misc and make sure the first option on top "Single player replay save" is set to "enabled - manual save" (should be that by default). Then start a race with the AI or just do a couple fast laps. After you're done, press "2" on the keyboard and enter a name for the replay. You can then find this replay in your <LFS>\data\spr folder.

Now you just need to upload the replay to the forums. Just start typing a new reply, scroll down and click the "Manage Attachments" button. A window will pop up where you can select the .spr file and upload it. Close the popup and continue writing your post - the file will be attached when you submit it.

The LFS Manual is also worth checking out - in your case specifically the basic and advanced driving guides.
#5 - STF
I don`t know if you are aware of it, but in case you`re not, it will even things a little. Try pressing the "4" key for a racing line display.
As you will make progress, that line will be obsolete (later braking points, late apexing, earlier acceleration etc), but it`s good for starters.
You will also notice that that line is used by AI`s precisely, so they will be much easier to follow.

When overtaking AI, be extra careful, they might slam into you while trying to get back into the racing line.
Thank You, those are all good tips. I'll have to take a re-read through the LFS manual, stickys and wikis as well to freshen up.

After getting my S2 license I tried it out for a couple weeks then dropped it to do some other things, so its been awhile.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I have found the forums here to be very helpful and full of kind people as yourselves.

Happy Racing.
One thing though... LFS AIs are not the best in sim world. I find it harder to race with than "live" racers, even thought they are slower. That's mostly because they would stick to the racing line even if you are side by side with it in the inner side of the corner.

So.... don't relay so much on how that comes up. Better try to practise the tracks and the cars by yourself until you get confident enough.

You can find a lot of good sets on places like:
http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu/index.php?p_section=setup or
http://www.setupgrid.net/
or maybe get something out of http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Basic_Setup_Guide if your good at it (I'm not ).

However, when you join any server, most of racers would share their setups if asked.

When you decide you're fine to join the server for the first time, try those with not too many racers in it (like 5-6) and try practise races with them. Don't go to crowded servers first, because you'll find that half of the grid usually don't know how to race well, but they race as if all of us were AIs, not the persons behind wheels (at least, that's my experience) and you'll probably get slammed all the time.

Try to respect other drivers, say "sorry" if you think you've done something to ruin other driver's race, give them enough room in battles for position, don't cut them.
In about a month of racing on servers, you'll become an experienced enough racer, so good luck!
don't forget how much fuel you put in.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG