The online racing simulator
SATA help
(10 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
SATA help
Right! I've had enough - I need help

Three weeks ago I installed an 500GB SATA HDD, all went well and had no problems untill now. I have my OS on an IDE HDD and only one SATA drive, so no RAD enabled.

Today I decided to go for a small upgrade(Large CPU cooler), everything went swimmingly and whilst in there I cable-tie'd everything nice and neat, a nice and neat job.

Problem, in order to get the cooler mounting bracket into the holes of the 775 mobo I had to remove the mobo completely, hence the hours spent tidying cables up etc(may as well), I was careful ,and every #five minutes or so I'd go over and grab the copper piping of my home heating as to release any static...so I don't think I messed up any components on the Mobo.

Now the SATA drive shows up in vista disk management as not initialized and only 136GB in size, if I go properties/uninstall/reinstall it looses 10 GB each time! > ? , but in BIOS the SATA HDD shows as 500GB and the name is not as I remember it, also, sometimes it the name changes to "C WDWCASY_EN_CODE.bin4"

Linux, upon boot gives an error about 2.0 SATA HDD erno-16 or erno-19 iirc

Gparted complains of 2.0 SATA HDD name mismatch

I have tried switching SATA plugs and need to disable the drive in BIOS or the PC will not boot.
What on earth have I done

Yelp!
Re-flash it's firmware, check power cable and SATA cable..
#3 - CSU1
...clear CMOS?

I have searched, I don't understand, do you mean to reflash the drive itself?

If so, how so?

E;

replaced SATA cable with new and power is swapped - WD's lifeguard app fails the cable test... but I have changed everything...

E;

Again with this name mismatch Gparted complained about, the model number and serial number don't seem to exist???

http://www.google.ie/search?hl ... lash%26sl%3Den-US%26sc%3D

http://www.google.ie/search?hl ... mp;meta=&aq=f&oq=
Attached images
New Bitmap Image.jpg
Well, just RMA it.
Are you by any chance running XP SP1 or earlier? since they won't recognise more than 137GB of space in any hard drive installed. The problem goes away if you upgrade to SP2 or get a later version of Windows.

Uhh, disregard that, I just saw you said vista so just RMA it, as there's obviously something wrong with it.
#6 - CSU1
...this HDD has just met it's faith in the form of a fairly large lump hammer as the contents were private

Thanks anyway...
Quote from c00kie :Are you by any chance running XP SP1 or earlier? since they won't recognise more than 137GB of space in any hard drive installed. The problem goes away if you upgrade to SP2 or get a later version of Windows.

Uhh, disregard that, I just saw you said vista so just RMA it, as there's obviously something wrong with it.

not true, i had my 250 and 320gb hdds when xp sp1 was out.. so no, it doesnt clip the hdd size.
Quote from c00kie :since they won't recognise more than 137GB of space in any hard drive installed.

That's an old BIOS limitation, nothing to do with the OS.
#9 - CSU1
          Realizing for some reason the SATA HDD won't work when PC is overclocked.............. Priceless!!!

Some thing's in life money can't buy(a brain), for everything else there's Mastercard.

-----------------------------------------------------

Why on God's earth was the fact I OC'd the PC resulting in this mad SATA problem.........I feel like a ****ing tool, and I'm a bunch of data and €60 worse off too.........GOD DAMNIT...
          Cause you might have overclocked the SATA bus speed as well, and hard drives probably can't handle an overclocked bus.

SATA help
          (10 posts, started )
          FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG