The online racing simulator
slow starters
(45 posts, started )
slow starters
I was racing on [FM] Oval Junkles and it is a great server. Just that when i start some of my races the guy (or girl) in front of me barely moves or don't even hit the gas.illepall It annoys me when i have a chance for a top 3 and the guy (or girl) in front tries to wait untill everyone passes but they just make one of those pile ups that causes restarts.Y don't they go?
why else would you be afraid to take off from 0mph in the FV8?

they may be AFK too.. never know, thats just annoying... it happens, it happens in life, a car may stall
lol another quality thread
except when it happens in real life there seems to be alot more space. After all it was a 23 car race
i feel your pain rappa. last time i was racing on a server i started something like 3rd and the guy didnt move infront of me so i ended up smashing into him even though i tried to avoid him/her....

but theres nothing u can do about that, mostly i think its the way lfs restarts races. People often pop to the toilet or to grab a drink,food or whatever and then suddenly everyone decideds to restart and they dont make it back in time with lfs giving you only 4 seconds to start a race......

but what can you do.... just shrug your shoulders and keep going
but then i end up pitting like 10 other cars.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Rappa Z :I was racing on [FM] Oval Junkles and it is a great server. Just that when i start some of my races the guy (or girl) in front of me barely moves or don't even hit the gas.illepall It annoys me when i have a chance for a top 3 and the guy (or girl) in front tries to wait untill everyone passes but they just make one of those pile ups that causes restarts.Y don't they go?

thats not annoying, haivng someone give it full throttle, get an amzing first few metres, then spin it is the worst, and i bet it happens at every start on the oval, once there is one car in the middle of the track with smke hanging around, someone normally hits it, and somebody else tried to avoid it and spun, luckily, the further in the gird you are the less it hapens!
i estimate 2 people a race crash at the start. About 6 a race crash overall.
Quote from XCNuse :why else would you be afraid to take off from 0mph in the FV8?

they may be AFK too.. never know, thats just annoying... it happens, it happens in life, a car may stall

Hopefully AFW if they're in an FV8...
Quote from Frankmd :Hopefully AFW if they're in an FV8...

indeed.. being AFK is only worse
dude i was just back in there and i gain 3 positions then a guy cuts across the entire track in a spin n' took out 9 cars.
The oval is populated by the worst drivers so it's only fair to assume that 'worst' means 'bad' to 'don't know how to accelerate', so it's not surprising.

Stick with tracks that require you to be awake and ne'er this problem shall strike.
Maybe just some newbies that don't know yet how simple and unrealistic the starting process is in LFS (I mean, you just need to push full throttle - no clutch etc).
I think going straight to full throttle is the problem here - you can't do that in the FO8 without facing the other way in about 0.1 seconds...I just avoid the public oval servers altogether these days (unless it's a UF1 draft battle) because it soon ends up as a restart fiesta with a bunch of abuse thrown in. The aero and tyre bugs don't add to the experience either.
TC has the right idea - tracks with more than two corners are the way to go..
Quote from Hankstar :I think going straight to full throttle is the problem here - you can't do that in the FO8 without facing the other way in about 0.1 seconds...

I know, I was speaking in general about that. Still they probably take it too "easy" if they're not aware of the massive wheelspin you can take in the starts.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#16 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :The oval is populated by the worst drivers so it's only fair to assume that 'worst' means 'bad' to 'don't know how to accelerate', so it's not surprising.

Stick with tracks that require you to be awake and ne'er this problem shall strike.

no, the pros are VERY good, just at the start its very easy to crash with dirty air and inexperienced drivers!
dam i am also mad that when starting in the back of a full grid u start in the turn on the strait.
Im like that, im good with the FO8, but i cannot for the life of me get it going fast from a standing start, keep spinning the wheels too much and losing it.

Dont use that server really now anyways, i mostly play offline for fooling around when im bored.
Quote from Hankstar :I think going straight to full throttle is the problem here - you can't do that in the FO8 without facing the other way in about 0.1 seconds...I just avoid the public oval servers altogether these days (unless it's a UF1 draft battle) because it soon ends up as a restart fiesta with a bunch of abuse thrown in. The aero and tyre bugs don't add to the experience either.
TC has the right idea - tracks with more than two corners are the way to go..

I have to agree with Hankster on this one. Its a simple rule, its the same on the track as it as in real life on the street. The person who is physicaly behind in a wrech is 99% of the time at failt. I can not count the number of times I have had to use a slow takeoff or brake early in to a corner to not run over the car in front of me only, to have the car behind me run me over because they are in attentive or in flexable in their racing line to adjust to the dynamicly changing situation.

Simple rule, if you are following and the shit hits the fan and you become entangeled in it, IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Quote from Stellios :Im like that, im good with the FO8, but i cannot for the life of me get it going fast from a standing start, keep spinning the wheels too much and losing it.

Dont use that server really now anyways, i mostly play offline for fooling around when im bored.

Stellios, adjust your gear ratios so that a full throttle start in the car will not cause the wheels to spin and use a mostly locked diff. The idea is to lower the avalable torque at the rear wheels in that gear.
#20 - Jakg
what if someone is alone with yoy behind, drafting, and they brake really early, before you can step out and over take them?
#21 - wien
Quote from Madman_CZ :mostly i think its the way lfs restarts races. People often pop to the toilet or to grab a drink,food or whatever and then suddenly everyone decideds to restart and they dont make it back in time with lfs giving you only 4 seconds to start a race......

If people would just spectate or pit when they leave their computer, this would be a non-issue. We all know what happens when a race is restarted, so I don't see how this can be so difficult.
Maybe everyone should be put to spectate automatically when there's a successful restart vote and only those who join then in say a 5-8 sec period will start the race. Since everyone would be expecting this it wouldn't be an inconvenience as such either.
Quote from Jakg :what if someone is alone with yoy behind, drafting, and they brake really early, before you can step out and over take them?

Then you were not leaving enough space to provide you a margine of safety. Still Your Fault. This is the biggest complaint I have with the user comunity in Sim racing. Every one is so concerned with going as fast as they can that they don't plan for when things happen that are unexpected. In real life fear is the driving force behind this attitude of leaving room, in sim racing that is removed, but should not be.

Untill people in the sim comunity realise that if you want the sim racing experance to be like a real racing experance they will need to think and act like a real racer would, sim racing will continue to be like it is today with wrecks at the start and turn one, crazy insane overtaking attempts will still happen in the wrong places, and close racing will continue to be a crap shoot.

If you want sim racing to be close, fun and exciting then grow up, act like a real racer, show some respect to the other poeple on the track and act like there is more at stake then electrons and polygons. If you can't do that you have no reason to and no ground to complain.

Have a nice day.
Quote from Gimpster :Stellios, adjust your gear ratios so that a full throttle start in the car will not cause the wheels to spin and use a mostly locked diff. The idea is to lower the avalable torque at the rear wheels in that gear.

Cheers for the tip about the diff, ive played around with the ratios a bit, but fiddling with the diff didnt even cross my mind
Quote from Jakg :what if someone is alone with yoy behind, drafting, and they brake really early, before you can step out and over take them?

If you're drafting someone at the oval, you have to wonder why the hell are they braking at all

If you're at a circuit, if you're drafting someone you should always leave room for error. When I'm in someone's slipstream I always plan to brake before they do. Here's why: as most of us would know, when in a slipstream you catch up due to less wind resistance. If you start to brake while in someone's slipstream, you still have less wind resistance so you won't slow down as fast as the guy in front of you - this is why so many rear-enders happen in LFS (and other online sims). People don't realise that you can't brake at the same point you usually do when you're drafting someone due to the extra momentum - your speedo/tacho may tell you you're only be going as fast as you usually do at that point of the track, but the lack of resistance means you're actually going faster (relatively). Also, braking a bit earlier than the guy you're chasing gives you a bit more time to set up your line and go for the pass. Try to brake early, pull out of the slipstream and use that extra momentum to slingshot in front of your opponent, but be aware of that extra momentum and don't overcook it...how many times have you seen someone just shoot by you with locked brakes after they've tried to outbrake you? And how many times have you laughed out loud at them as they put it into a wall and continued on your way?

On that topic, how many times have you been blamed for a wreck because the guy who hit you from behind left no room for error and then blamed you for braking early? Personally, too many to count. My thoughts on that are pretty simple: if someone's good enough a racer to catch you and draft you to try and pass, they should be good enough to pass safely. If they take you out, they only have themselves to blame. If they're as good as think they are, they should be able to carve through the field without wrecking people.

slow starters
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG