The online racing simulator
Rover 620 Ti
(12 posts, started )
Rover 620 Ti
hoping someone may be able to help me here. i'm looking at buying a rover 620 Ti & I have a friend who told me that there are 2 engine types, a 180bhp and a 197bhp, distinguishable by either "turbo" (180bhp) or "injection" (197bhp) on the intake manifold.

now i've done a lot of looking and cannot back this up, as everywhere, regardless of whether it is pre or post facelift, states the engine has 197bhp.

is there anyone out there that can help me with this? i have found one that is going for cheap but, being power hungry, i want 197bhp! all help most appreciated, thought this was a good place to ask as everyone here is fast car mad!
We have/had one as a company car, till the gearbox blew up twice, now its yours for £100 LOL.

TBH, I wasnt aware there were 2 versions, I'll ask the guy here who knows about them and see what he says.

BTW, they DO have problems, head gaskets go regulary, gearboxes also, many/most of them are starting to rust big time, that and the group 17 insurance, dodgy image and frightfull fuel consumption make them not the best choice, that and they fact they dont handle to well either.

Dan,
#3 - Vain
I also wasn't aware of two versions. But I'm not that much of a rover-expert.

Vain
yeah danowat, i'm aware of the problems with them and the horrific fuel consumption. however, i'm hunting one with a full rover service history, pref a recon/replaced gearbox, belts etc, working electrics and so on.

and given i drive like a grandparent, the fuel consumption shouldn't be a bother. well, not too bad anyway

i wasn't aware of 2 different engines, and TBH i won't be surprised to find out i've been mis-informed, so please keep the info coming. this is why i thought i'd ask the biggest collection of car nuts i know!
Quote from Clownpaint :You sound like Jeremy Clarkson , he can never resist a good bit of Rover-Bashing!

Nah mate, I never bash any cars, from someone who has just had a Fiat Cinqecento for a year, and has now replaced that with a Skoda Felicia diesel, not my main car, just my work runabout, my main car is in my avator, I wouldnt unecessarly bash, well, maybe if it was a Pauxhall.

And no, according to my guy here the Ti was only ever made with the 200hp engine.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :And no, according to my guy here the Ti was only ever made with the 200hp engine.

cheers dan, i thought he was wrong as i found that the 1995/6 ones had 200ps and the one i'm looking at his an early 1997.

anyone else wanna refute this?
yeah, so i'm not gonna buy that one. things i saw that rang alarm bells: :jawdrop:

1) all the tryes were different makes n types
2) 1 tyre was bald to the canvass
3) loads of marks on bodywork and stone chips, far more than i expected
4) aerial doesn't retract properly
5) bins onside pretty much all knackered and loose
6) water in bottom of boot around spare wheel
7) clutch had ultra low bite point (is that common?)
8) couldn't hear turbo spin up despite having my ear next to it
9) oil level covered the nipple at bottom of dipstick AND THAT WAS IT!
10) lubricant coming out the botton at 1 drip every 30secs
11) no spare tyre on rim in boot
12) interior lights wouldn't turn off when on door opening mode
13) no surge of power in gear except for 1st
14) just water in the coolant reservoir, not even any antifreeze
15) other fluid levels low
16) excessive movement of engine on the mounts when revving
17) no service history, paperwork or receipts of any kind
18) MOT certificate didn't have mileage on it (whoever wrote it is a tit)
19) loads of wear on half leathre seats
20) "open door" and "SRS" lights permenantly on
21) didn't know when cambelt etc had been done

that said, the lady selling it was incredibly friendly and apparently the lack of paperwork was due to her bro being a mechanic and having a small dealership. but, if you were a mechanic/dealer, wouldn't you make sure that your car had reams of paperwork? illepall

i said i'd give her £600. she's going off to get the oil leak and lack of oil, lights etc checked out and then get back to me, but i reckon i'm gonna pass. seems like a bit of a dog to me. reckon i'm doing the right thing?

shame tho, drove well, just lacked that Ti kick on the throttle. thanks again for the help folks!
I'd steer WELL clear, doesnt sound like its worth £6, let only £600....

Dan,
#10 - Vain
Today's small problems are always indicators of tomorrow's big problems, at least when speaking about cars or women. So I wouldn't touch that car.

Vain
If u want info about rovers www.rovertech.net is the place to be.
U need to register (free) but they have info about almost any rover/mg there including workshop manuals ,electrics schedules, transmission and so forth.

there is also a 2nd hand section with a good few rovers for sale.
Personally i would go for the 220coupe turbo (aka tomcat), same engine as the 620 but nicer looks Main flaw of that engine is an oilleaking gasket near the 4th cilinder..but its easily fixed with a alu/metal gasket instead of the standard rubberish stuff.
If u are lucky u could even find one called "sport" with which rover participated in the BTCC in the old days (stronger engine ,better trans, suspension, brakes ,etc)

I do remember reading something about a 180 and a 197bhp version, if im not mistaken any car produced in 96 or later should have the 197bhp engine.

pic of a 220coupe : http://www.guernsey.net/~nickyc/Car05.jpg
http://www.dsp22.f2s.com/links/pics.html

Ps. Make sure u get one with leather seats and airco

edit : its a 2door though..but u can still fit 2kids in the back without problems..adults better be short because of the reclining roofline
Quote from Noccy :If u want info about rovers www.rovertech.net is the place to be.

cheers man, brilliant link

joined up n now soaking up the knowledge

Rover 620 Ti
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG