The online racing simulator
weight reduction
(47 posts, closed, started )
do carbon fiber parts..? [offer a significant weight reduction?]
offer a significant weight reduction? I mean, how much weight do i save on the car by using carbon fiber parts? Is there a weight ratio chart anywhere to look at? Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I am needing every edge I can get to catch you guys. How you are gaining, 3 t0 4 seconds a lap on me can't just be in the chicanes, I am driving through the exits. It must be involve weight reduction? Getting up to speed quicker? something..
Also I just wanted to say to all of you good drivers out there, that racing clean against you folks is the most fun I have in regular day.
When we are all coming into the corner a little hot, then escape through the exit with courtesy for each other clean, man that to me is fun
#2 - pik_d
Yes, carbon fiber parts offer a significant weight gain, easily noticable by lap times. Once you figure out LFSs carbon fiber cheat code (not allowed to say it on the forums sorry) you will get much faster.
xD
LOL

Yeah, I can't catch those guys with a full carbon fibre shell. It annoys me that I'm not rich enough to afford them. :[
my nos hack pwns them all
I think someone was telling me their BST carbon fiber wheels for their track motorcycle were something like 8 lbs, versus 19 for the stock wheels. And that's all unsprung weight.
time after-all, is a most valuable commodity when hundreth's matter.
I am not sure I like the knowledge of carbon codes.
I enjoy learning the limits of the corner, the freaking great feel it gives me coming out of the corner in competition.... woah!
Breaking points must be earlyier with less weight?
weight reduction
I have yet to try to skin a carbon part.
I have read that some folks have trouble skinning them. Is there a trick to it or what?
I really love skinnng, as much as driving is an art, driving in your own paint offers its own rewards
Quote from Wm. Peddle :Breaking points must be earlyier with less weight?

Not at all, items like carbon fiber can be much stronger then steel, or iron, it all depends on how it was made. Processes the items go thought to make the final product.

Discovery: Carbon Fiber Bike Frames
You just need a nice carbon texture to use that isn't too large. It's a tough balance to achieve sometimes, but once you get a nice texture you're set.

For the record, after reading this and your other thread, putting carbon fiber on your skin will have no affect on your lap times. It's a skin, there is no weight to it.
#12 - JJ72
Am I getting the message that he is referring to carbon kits in the game?
I am wondering about how to lighten the load. Assuming lighter is faster so yes I am curious about carbon fiber and how it relates to my lap time performance.
ah but if you use all carbon parts the vehicle has less mass causing a reduction in forward momentum under braking and making you lock up more, all the people using the carbon parts mod are much easier to overtake under braking !This thread is so getting locked soon.
Ok, thanks man, I just thought there may of been an advantage cause a metal hood might be heavier or something than a fiber hood. As long as it it only cosmetic, get er done
lol this thread is hilarious! you can't lighten the cars in LFS! but you can get better setups to make you go faster!
Fair enough but, being lighter, on the exit of the corner you can get up to speed quicker.
A trade off, I guess?
Quote from Wm. Peddle :Fair enough but, being lighter, on the exit of the corner you can get up to speed quicker.
A trade off, I guess?

AtomAnt,

is that you?
also with the lighter parts you are more effected by wind, so the faster you go the more your aerodynamics work against you as you travel forward, which slows you up !
LOL Small but Mighty
Quote from Becky Rose :also with the lighter parts you are more effected by wind, so the faster you go the more your aerodynamics work against you as you travel forward, which slows you up !

But the lighter you are, the less your engine needs to work to get your fatass moving! BUT lighter = not as good traction!
yeah the traction kills it, because all the extra power available is lost through the wheels just spinning because not enough weight is holding it down, and on top of that the extra spin makes you use more fuel, that's why lighter cars are always running low on fuel and having to drive half the race on half throttle.

Of course they also cant carry as much fuel, because they are light, and if you put too much fuel in a light car they would be blown about by the petrol slopping about in the tank from the cornering forces.
Do carbon parts save weight? Yes. But for non-structural things I'd tend to choose GRP first, as it's cheaper and gives 90% of the weight saving.
Quote from JJ72 :Am I getting the message that he is referring to carbon kits in the game?

Yeah,i have this feeling too
I would like to add a disclaimer for everything I have said in this thread.
This thread is closed

weight reduction
(47 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG