The online racing simulator
Not if someone is already there though, even by an inch, it's a straight not a corner. I guess the question is just whether he swiped across and hit them, or moved across and got hit from behind. I thought Webber's block at the start was a little touch and go also- if you're going to defend, do it before there's a car there.

edit- in response to Blueflame not Dave
you know it's shocking some of the comments coming out about button winning the WDC(not specificly on here but media e.c.t, how the hell can you not deserve a championship??? unless you or your team cheated that is, it's pathetic!..

if it was the other way around and button struggled early on in the season and then found his pace mid/late season to win the WDC everyone would be screaming his praises on how he brought his self into contention for the WDC and won it, but the other way around and he doesnt deserve it??

did kimi not deserve his WDC? if lewis hadnt have blown it bigtime kimi wouldnt of had a look in, the truth is kimi was there and finished with more points end of story, his team and himself was the best that year its quite simple....

there has been some good driving this year but without question button has been the best driver all season, he hasnt put a foot wrong TBH and FULLY deserves th WDC..

last race button looked awsome simply becasue he was overtaking like a man posesed, but for that to happen a few things need to be inplace...

1. track
2. slower cars infront of you
3. have a decent speed/time advantage over those infront to catch them to then overtake...

button has drove like this all season, but when the car isnt under you to catch the cars infront you aint gona look like senna on speed, its the simple rules of racing and especialy F1....

has button been lucky? yep no question but you tell me one WDC that has been won when luck hasnt been with said driver??? you just carnt win a DC if you keep getting DNF's due to others bad driver or your car keeps blowing up...

take the kimi and alonso battle (06/07 i forget which year) kimi had the faster car by a long shot and drove like a demon, alonso drove well also but his engine didnt keep blowing up on him, hence kimi lost out, its all very simple really...

im happy for button, there isnt many poeple that would stick with a team like he has, he deserves it more than most other past champions, hats off to the guys is all i say!
-
(V8 Star) DELETED by V8 Star : ehhhhh
Quote from V8 Star :Vettel good drive, Button sucks, just lucky idiot.

wowowo wait there just a second. Every driver in F1 is lucky.

90% of the grid are lucky they were born into very rich families and could partake in one of the most exclusive sports on the planet.
-
(V8 Star) DELETED by V8 Star : ehhhh
Hamilton passed more people? In that race? Not including pitlane #passes#?
Look at the flag--German.

It's fairly obvious he doesn't like Button as he [Button] is a britfag, like us. :P
#431 - col
Quote from V8 Star :...Button sucks, just lucky idiot.

If what you say is true, it must make you very happy, because it implies that with a little luck YOU will be F1 world champion !

congratulations!
Quote from V8 Star :Vettel good drive

Did I miss something? :doh:

Vettel did a fine job this year, but inconsistancy cost him, examples being Monaco and Turkey, I didn't see Button making mistakes like that, thats the difference between the world championship and 2nd place.

He will have his turn as champion I'm sure, unless Brawn secure a major multi year deal with a big sponsor then I think they will struggle to keep up with the powerhouses that are Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren etc.
Vettel clearly sucks. For half the season he had the best car by some margin, by all accounts.

(Playing Devil's Advocate).
T'is a good point, Button drove a cut and shut job which had its chassis and gearbox messed about with to fit an engine it was not designed for, while Vettel drove a car which had been developed for its engine and by a team headed by none other than Adrian Newey, Vettel only managed 4 podiums and 3 wins in what was undoubtably a competetive car from the beginning.
Quote from 5haz :T'is a good point, Button drove a cut and shut job which had its chassis and gearbox messed about with to fit an engine it was not designed for, while Vettel drove a car which had been developed for its engine and by a team headed by none other than Adrian Newey, Vettel only managed 4 podiums and 3 wins in what was undoubtably a competetive car from the beginning.

The sacrifice in changing engine was more than made up for by the fact Mercedes had the best engine on the grid in the Brawn car. Added the fact Button had a DDD there is no doubt he had the best car for the first 7 races in which he scored 60 odd points.

Has Vettel had a crap season? HHmm... I think the problem we have here is that Lewis Hamilton ass raised expectations. Many people seem to take for granted Hamilton's achievements and measure everyone else by that standard. The fact is most regard Hamilton as the best driver in F1 right now, and by quite some way. So has Vettel been that bad? Nope. he certainly has wasted an opportunity and I am sure had Alonso/Hamilton been in the RBR Button wouldn't be champion right now. Hopefully he will learn though.
I seem to remember everyone declaring the Brawn the second (or even third) best car by the 3rd race. Including you Alan. Yet Jenson still managed to out drive everyone else. EVERYONE else.

Most regard Alonso as the best driver in F1, by quite some way.
Sorry, but Vettel was very inconsistent, so was Rubens. I think Button was extremely careful in the second part of the season and he could do more if someone was very close to him by points, so even if he wasn't lucky he would still win the title.
I think BrawnGP weren't much worse compared to other teams in the second part of the season, but the drivers were the problem. As I said, Jenson could have pushed harder, while Rubens still suffered the same problem as in the first part of the season .
It's very interesting to see what will Button do in Abu Dhabi. I hope he wins it to shut the critic's mouths. He /Jenson/ showed incredible potential and quality in the first part of the season, not only because of the car. I bet that if Jenson and Rubens were in Red Bull /with their race engineers/, and Vettel and Webber in BrawnGP, Button would probably win the season, because Vettel and Webber were very bad in the first part of the season when BrawnGP had most potential.
Can't help but laugh at some peoples opinoins on Button being "lucky" or undeserving. I've never liked the guy but no one can take away the fact he is WDC. He made the best of the car in the first 7 races, and whilst he messed up a few times during the year he still managed to score more points than anyone else.

Although I can't help but feel had there been a Schumacher or Alonso in any of the top cars the last two seasons the championship would have been long over. Both Button and Vettel showed a fair bit of inconssistency this season where drivers like them would have taken full advantage of the situation.
Quote from keiran :Can't help but laugh at some peoples opinoins on Button being "lucky" or undeserving. I've never liked the guy but no one can take away the fact he is WDC. He made the best of the car in the first 7 races, and whilst he messed up a few times during the year he still managed to score more points than anyone else.

Although I can't help but feel had there been a Schumacher or Alonso in any of the top cars the last two seasons the championship would have been long over. Both Button and Vettel showed a fair bit of inconssistency this season where drivers like them would have taken full advantage of the situation.

It's distinguishing between 'being deserving' and 'being the most skillfull' that people trip up on. Also the term 'deserving a WDC' doesn't really make much sense. How would a driver not 'deserve' a title?

Button got the right car, did what he had to do, end of. There is no arguement there.
As soon as somebody does something rigth, haters think its wrong.
Button had an awsome drive, he had a great show, and made the best race since 2008 brazil.
What is so wrong abou that?

Everyone who hates Button, say point by point what is wrong with him

Everyone who hates Vettel, say point by point what is wrong with him
Quote from aroX123 : Everyone who hates Button, say point by point what is wrong with him

Everyone who hates Vettel, say point by point what is wrong with him

...yeah but, no.
I think the problem with Button is that since the two uncompetitive races in Silverstone and Nürburgring, Button has been very cautious not to lose any more points. He realised the car is not as strong as the Red Bulls, so he would rather take the 2 points rather than taking risks for an extra 2 points. And i reckon you can't really blame him. This year is his 9th season in Formula One, and this year is the first time ever he has got a competitive car that is capable of winning the championship. Let's be honest, Brawn might not be as competitive next year, as a result 2009 is his greatest and possibly the only chance of winning a WDC. He wants the championship sooooo badly, his over-cautious is understandable.

So if you were in his position, would you really take risks after the massive point leads you have after the first 7 races? I wouldn't. If 2 points per race is all it takes, why risks it for glory?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :So if you were in his position, would you really take risks after the massive point leads you have after the first 7 races? I wouldn't. If 2 points per race is all it takes, why risks it for glory?

His qualifying performances were piss poor to be fair and it's probably more dangerous to start mid back than from the front two rows. An exceedingly good amount of clean starts from the whole field certainly helped him this year. I think he intended to qualify higher up and either started to feel the pressure or he really isn't that good when the car aint perfect.

Also Vettel was in a position after Silverstone to take the title and a combination of mistakes or reliability cost him.

Button didn't get lucky but he wasn't just being cautious. He wanted to get better results in qualifying.

But the biggest lesson any driver can learn from this is race 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOezbg7ACKM) matters as much as race 18.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :I think the problem with Button is that since the two uncompetitive races in Silverstone and Nürburgring, Button has been very cautious not to lose any more points. He realised the car is not as strong as the Red Bulls, so he would rather take the 2 points rather than taking risks for an extra 2 points. And i reckon you can't really blame him. This year is his 9th season in Formula One, and this year is the first time ever he has got a competitive car that is capable of winning the championship.

Well the Honda was really good in... 2004 (had to look it up), and Button finished 3rd in the championship as best-of-the-rest behind the two Ferraris. I was a bit gutted because I'd put £20 on him at 150-1 after the first reports of Honda's winter testing performance. Oh well...

Still, at that time he was clearly on the pace when he had a car that could deliver, so it's not such a surprise that he made the most of the Brawn car this year.
Quote from Intrepid :His qualifying performances were piss poor to be fair

pole at monaco.............piss poor?
-
(V8 Star) DELETED by V8 Star : ehhhh
Quote from V8 Star :Go cry emo, oxoxoxoxoxo.

LOL

p.s Button rocks, Vettel is ok, Barrichello ftw.
Finaly watched the race last night. Fantastic stuff, can't believe i watched ALL but this one live, this one should've really been watched live.
Jenson haters should stfu, he (they) had the best car for half the season, true, they've "played" the rule book a bit, but it was declared legal.. but he DID drove better then Barichello, and the man really did some impressive overtakes in this race, which he honestly didn't had to, there was still one race to go, but he did, with balls, and in impressive way, and i think he had generally the most on-track overtakes this year if i'm not mistaken. Also impressive stuff from Kobayashi, i really hope he will drive full time next season...

Btw you Brits are lucky What an awesome atmosphere on BBC, commentators are awesome, pre and post race interviews are great, can't believe what a differnce to my local channel..

Formula 1 Grande Premio Petrobras do Brasil 2009
(467 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG