The online racing simulator
to Bmxtwins:
it is from MDF wood, those diagonals are not bars. Like i said it's not yet finished.
Quote from tmehlinger :Is the competition still open? I'm already making steering wheels, figure I'll try to get in the cockpit business too. Besides, I really like drawing in AutoCad.

Couple questions (feel free to call me an idiot if they've already been answered):

1. Should pedals be adjustable?
2. Should it be completely enclosed, or are openings here and there acceptable?

Your not allowed to enter! Yes im joking.

1. They dont need to be, its not complusory.
2. Thats up to you. Ive stated im after an open wheel seating position. Having something tight yet open for keyboard/mouse/shifter etc would be great. Maybe something to go with my new wheel someone is creating for me.
Quote from aoun :Maybe something to go with my new wheel someone is creating for me.

I that another contest?
I hope your new wheel has dimensions similar to the G25, otherwise I would need to fine-tune some parts of my design.
Do you have an idea of the deadline? If there is some time left, I may be able to improve my entry with Inventor.
If you feel like you need to make some changes, go ahead, i wont really cut you off.

As for the wheel, i was being abit of a smartass, im in talks with tmehlinger, who is creating a custom wheel for me. Its still a g25, just a different wheel, similar to the one in his thread.
Quote from Bokujishin :I now have finished my design (still didn't add the screws though):
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9307/bokujishinlfsc01k.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3748/bokujishinlfsc02.jpg
I sent you a PM with explanations about it.

EDIT: Woops, I forgot to say the dimensions were in cm.

Apart from that I do not know whether it is easy to get in and out this is looking very very nice. What I personally do not like is the boxy look of some of these wooden cockpits, so your version really does overcome the disadvantages mdf has over tubeframes
Getting in and out of a Single Seater type model (which is what Aoun wants I think) will always be difficult. But Bokujishin's design has a good idea to overcome that. The wheel lifts up which will give more room to stand up and climb out.
Quote from Commander :Apart from that I do not know whether it is easy to get in and out this is looking very very nice. What I personally do not like is the boxy look of some of these wooden cockpits, so your version really does overcome the disadvantages mdf has over tubeframes

Quote from JasonJ :Getting in and out of a Single Seater type model (which is what Aoun wants I think) will always be difficult. But Bokujishin's design has a good idea to overcome that. The wheel lifts up which will give more room to stand up and climb out.

Thanks a lot, it is the first time a work of mine gets positive reactions like this
My work on Inventor is not finished yet, but I will present the finished version on sunday or before, with the full details (or at least aoun will have them) and some animations (if I can) of the character getting in/out of the cockpit.
I also added a second security to the keyboard shelf, at the opposite side. It should prevent the shelf from falling if you do not slide it all the way inside the cockpit (I might make it even longer for more security).
Quote from aoun :Ive stated im after an open wheel seating position. Having something tight yet open for keyboard/mouse/shifter etc would be

My render was a bit off btw. If you built it thru my instructions ud get a very open wheeler feel. But im not the best at modeling but i did my best.
I improved two parts of the design: the hinge lock for the wheel shelf and the "anti-fall security" of the keyboard.
Here are 3 pictures with them:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5960/hingelock.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3450/keyboard1wp.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2394/keyboard2.jpg
When you put the wheel shelf on the gaming position, you don't have to hold it anymore, just put it down and it will be placed correctly. Then you just have to lock the hinge with a cylinder or something.
As for the keyboard shelf, the little parts are longer, and the shelf cannot fall anymore when it slides. However, this also means you would have to place it and then screw the security parts on the shelf.
I am currently struggling with the constraints in Inventor, but I should be able to finish it in time.
Wow

Mine is simply screws xD
Choose a winner already . Im getting anxious Lol.
I just thought of another question: do you need something in the cockpit to put your seat on? If you do, I would need to know how it can be fixed to the cockpit, and also some dimensions.
Else, I will just continue the detailed blueprints, and probably show them tomorrow.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :i saw a complete MDF assembly manual with pix and all in a danish forum with a race frame.. of course i cant find it now but maybe you can use this link with google translate. its in danish. but thats the closest im getting right now.. (will look for the link still though).

But try looking at this and see if you come up with your own idea maybe... http://www.lfs-forum.dk/showthread.php?t=1875

Meanwhile im gonna go look for that ^*/%¤ link.

isnt the competition to DESIGN a cockpit not LINK to someone elses?
Sorry, I couldn't finish in time... I attached a link to a pdf with what I've done so far.
I will need 2 or 3 more days of work on it to finish those blueprints.
I still have to do the same thing with the rear and upper parts, as well as the wing, and then to write all the details I can think of.

EDIT: pdf removed, please go to page 6 to see the design.
Any news yet Auon
Quote from Bokujishin :I will need 2 or 3 more days of work on it to finish those blueprints.

I designed and built my cockpit in less time, but alas I guess it shows

Nice job on your design so far, very thorough and well thought out
Thanks a lot for the comments
Here is the final version of my design (except if I have to do something for the seat).

EDIT: I removed the pdf file, as I updated it and posted it again in my last post.
Quote from Bokujishin :Thanks a lot for the comments
Here is the final version of my design (except if I have to do something for the seat).

That is a very nice design ;P
Wow, the detail in design and what i need etc, is amazing. I will definately not look past that.
Bravo :clapclap:
Made a diagram so you could see what the model should look like in proportions.

top needs to be a bit further down and pedals a little further up for true f1 feel.
Attached images
cockpitsidediagram.jpg
Quote from Bokujishin :Thanks a lot for the comments

0.o wish I could understand how to make that xD. If i could I would.
made a side model... photoshopped the front to be lower and closer to the driver so ut seems more like an F1 or Open Wheeler.
notices u said this:
Nothing from the design involved bending the MDF

well thats not being bent thats just when you put the wood sideways just cut it to that shape and maybe cover it with something? I just couldnt get it right in the model
Attached images
cockpitside3d2.jpg
I just noticed I have not included the overall dimensions of the cockpit, so here they are:
Length: approximately 166cm with the wing, 161cm at ground level up to the screen shelf.
Width: 92cm with keyboard inside (rear end of the sides), 123cm with keyboard outside. Around the screen support, it is 40cm wide (just enough for the pedals to fit in).
Height: 100cm.
These are approximations, the true dimensions are smaller by 0,1 to 0,9cm.
This was just so you get an idea of the place it takes
Any news Aoun?
It's been almost two months since this contest started, so I just wanted to know if it will end soon or in a few weeks?

As I'm done with my design, I will just add: good luck to everyone who is participating!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG