The online racing simulator
#1 - aoun
Design a cockpit [Win a £36 LFS Voucher]
Hello guys!

Overview
I am holding a competition that requires knowledge when it comes to creating a sim cockpit. I am looking for someone to design a cockpit for my own private use, that follows my needs for a cockpit.

Winning Prize:

Live for Speed £36 Voucher

Runner Up:

Live For Speed £24 Voucher

How to win:
1. Come up with a cockpit design. Include exact dimensions, sizes and any sort of information that is required. They can be drawn, rendered or 'shopped, but it must be detailed! I would perfer the design is digital, as it is more accurate. Measurements need to either be in centermeters or millimeters.
2. Post your design in this thread.
3. Make sure you add some sort of copyright so no one can take your work or use it for themselves, unless you are fine with that.
4. Winning design will have the full details sent over to me by email, PM etc. This is where i can use these to design it myself.
5. Winning design will shortly (no more then a week, from 1 day to 5) be given a voucher for their prize.
6. You will then have to register yourself, and download what is needed, or whatever is required from there.

Specifications:
  • The design will be made out of MDF wood, so make sure you understand what can be done with MDF. No bars/framing etc, just a shell pretty much.
  • Design cant exceed anything over 170cm (1.7m) (1700mm) in length. Width is up to you. However, it needs to be wide enough to fit a racing/car seat and a G25 shifter OR even the SST lightning shifter.
  • Nothing from the design involved bending the MDF. Curved design is encouraged, but as the frame only.
  • Inside the cockpit must have a spot where the G25 shifter can fit.
  • Post views from Front, side, top, rear etc with all exact messurements.
The shape and design itself that im after is something like a Hyper Stimulator cockpit. Not an exact of it, but something that seats you in that position. Nothing where you are in a computer seating position, but rather an Open Wheel seating position. Infact, The Hyper happens to be almost what i was after, but without modifications, you cant fit the G25, Plus the price is alot, and they have stopped making Hypers. The cockpit will include a racing seat though, or just even a car seat. There needs to be a spot to put an LCD monitor on it (min 22" size)
Im after a very professional design. Nothing basic or simple, where its almost 3 peices of MDF stuck together to make the shape of a box.

The design its self isnt ment to be made by the user, just the design itself with exact messsurements etc for me to build myself.

When you look at this image, it puts you in a open wheeler environment. Its not just a basic box design out of MDF that could have been made in two minutes. The edges are rounded, theres elevation, creativity. Thats what im after. (not something looking identical to this).

IF DESIGN QUALITY IS PROFESSIONAL and VERY CREATIVE with NO FLAWS OF DETAIL IN MESSUREMENTS ETC, I WILL BE HAPPY TO ADD MORE TO THE PRIZE.
IE: The better the entry is, the better the prize. (Minimum will be 36£ voucher still)

After i have created the designed cockpit, all credits for design will go to the winning entry, where ever it may be posted.

If you need any more specs, feel free to ask.

GOOD LUCK!!
#2 - aoun
Post reserved.
Additional info: There is no exact deadline to this. When i feel theres been enough entrys or there wont be any more, ill close it! .

Update: Fixed competition. Now running again.
#3 - JJ72
wow, this is definitely out of my depth.

(btw isn't the project a bit too complicated for such a relatively "small" price, if you don't mind me asking.)
Quote from JJ72 :

(btw isn't the project a bit too complicated for such a relatively "small" price, if you don't mind me asking.)

+1

This is kinda getting a tough job done for a small price.
Nice though.
Now Just waiting for my £36 Voucher..

And yes the username is Jordan2007
Attached images
Cockpit.jpg
Quote from Jordan2007 :Now Just waiting for my £36 Voucher..

I'd definitely buy it!
that box thing seems interesting.

The prize should have been more, maybe a car or something, nah. But maybe a g25 or something.
Quote from aroX123 :that box thing seems interesting.

The prize should have been more, maybe a car or something, nah. But maybe a g25 or something.

I surely hope you managed to not be one of the 20k+ page views on that thread in the same section about a S3 release soon. A £36 voucher is really useful right about now
Agh, if I could spend more time in my school's workshop.
Quote from Jordan2007 :Now Just waiting for my £36 Voucher..

It's the best so far.
Im thinking u should buy this and strip it out

On a serious note, I might try something, but I doubt it will be good

Edit - This is my quick crappy thing , If I knew how to use 3dsmax or something I would probaly make something in 3D but..
Attached images
SUPERRIGY0!!11.png
-
(MariusMM) DELETED by MariusMM
Here's my(cough) idea for an MDF cockpit.
Attached images
mdfcp.gif
#14 - aoun
Oh just to clear things up, im assuming some people think they need to build the design itself. The competition is after say, "Blueprints" for a design, for ME to build. You dont need to go into a workshop or anything.

Ill post up dimensions of the G25 soon.

Also, ive made this competition because i was in need of a cockpit design, and rockingham is being released with S3, so i thought maybe give the community a chance to design me a cockpit, and ill give out a voucher or two, seeing how we are going to be able to by an S3 licence, it would come in handy. And dont forget what the OP said, if im really wowed by a great design that is worthy more of just 36GBP, ill up the prize more.

If you dont have a serious entry, why post one up?

Thanks anyway.

Quote from anttt69 :Here's my(cough) idea for an MDF cockpit.

Thats actually VERY nice mate! I would bring the wheel closer, while sort-of "stretching out the cockpit. Add specific dimensions etc for the whole dessign and id say thats one that will shine!
Quote from aoun : Thats actually VERY nice mate! I would bring the wheel closer, while sort-of "stretching out the cockpit. Add specific dimensions etc for the whole dessign and id say thats one that will shine!

Looks like you didn't notice the perfect use of (cough) after my. It's a satirical way to inform that he did not make that design.
too hard lol
oh and btw how come ur not on lfs that much anymore
I got an F1 cockpit...
But I think its too big to fit your Max lenght.
-
#18 - aoun
Wheel radius is approx. 13.5cm (135mm) or full length of wheel from side to side is approx. 27cm (270mm).

Pedals are approx. 30cm in width and 38-40cm in length.

The wheel from my chest, roughly 30cm too, no less then maybe 27cm, no more then 50cm. Between 30-35cm would be ok.

Oh and, the screen is a 22'' LCD screen, though i might be getting a 26" if im lucky. Either way its roughly going to be that size, nothing HUGE. And the screen im hoping to have apart of the cockpit, it wont be on a wall mount or anything.
-
Quote from lukelfs :Im thinking u should buy this and strip it out

On a serious note, I might try something, but I doubt it will be good

Edit - This is my quick crappy thing , If I knew how to use 3dsmax or something I would probaly make something in 3D but..

omagawd. I suppose aoun's hands are attached to his neck, and he has no elbows or knees
-
Well, it does take more than 5 minutes to design and make an accurate drawing.
I was gonna use my cad to give it a go but didn't have time recently.

Thing is, why not just replicate the example in the first post. It looks great imo.
-
-
#24 - aoun
Sorry for a late reply. I have been all around the place lately.

Pedals to chair. Should not matter too much, go with what you feel is best, and i may modify it myself, if i need to.

Chair size will either be a gokart seat size or a car seat size. I dont have exact measurements for them, ill try to find them out today.

Guys, does it seem like i only have 1 legit entry? just to clear things up!

If so, i might close this competition if no one else will enter and just work with MariusMM.
i did a sketch on my physics book while in class..i will put it here tomorrow. not that good but it does have some measurements.
Are you thinking something simple with no lateral force simulation?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG