The online racing simulator
Money No Object: Best Sim Set Up For 10 Year Old Plus!
OK I know about the various sim set ups out there but I need some advice. I am looking for a setup, an awesome freakin' set up in fact, that a 8 yrs upwards can use. A cheap seat anmd G25 aint gonna cut it, I need something totally freakin' awesome.

I've looked at the various motion simulators but they look huge. Even though they look ideal are they customisable?
£20-30k of not my money
fantec wheel set with the wheel and pedals and shifter. Will set you back about 2-3k
#5 - Noccy
get the kid in a ....kart?
nothing better exists I thought.

Alternatively buy his favorite car, install a kickass projector on the darkened windows and hook up the real wheel to a BRD system =)
Quote from Noccy :get the kid in a ....kart?
nothing better exists I thought.

Alternatively buy his favorite car, install a kickass projector on the darkened windows and hook up the real wheel to a BRD system =)

Yes he has one, but you can't go karting everyday.
#8 - zapz
Frex FF wheel, shifter and pedals
Force Dynamics motion platform
120hz 1080p 37" LCD monitor with nvidia 3D glasses
Even £30k won't get you the best one, unfortunately. zapz is pretty spot on, I'd say, but motion simulators cost loads. The Force Dynamics 401 is $52,000! The 301 is $37,500. They're supposed to be making a '201' if you wait a bit, which should cost a good deal less again. But if you add in the wheel, shipping and huge screen...it'll still be costly!
Quote from Timdpr :Even £30k won't get you the best one, unfortunately. zapz is pretty spot on, I'd say, but motion simulators cost loads. The Force Dynamics 401 is $52,000! The 301 is $37,500. They're supposed to be making a '201' if you wait a bit, which should cost a good deal less again. But if you add in the wheel, shipping and huge screen...it'll still be costly!

well cost isn't an issue Thanls for the help dudes.
Have a look at the Frex GP SimConMotion too btw

I'm confused as to whether you have unlimited or £20-30k of not your money. If the latter is correct the SCM should get you a motion simutator + everything else for that budget. If you sign up to the Frex GP shop it will give you the price, but it's a lot cheaper than Force Dynamics! Hovever, it isn't as good of course...I'll let you find videos and reviews yourself, I've got homework to do

A projecter is a good idea too, a friend has one and it is briliant...pity he doesn't play driving sims or have a computer hooked up to it.

Or just lots of monitors!
Make sure you watch "The Gadget Show" Channel 5 on monday night
Quote from Mazz4200 :Make sure you watch "The Gadget Show" Channel 5 on monday night

I'm still waiting fir the episode with the R8 with Jon and Danny Wallace at Bruntingthorpe (I was there )
TH2G hooked up to three projectors
"...Likewise, the clutch assembly uses a heavy spring with a switch for engage/disengage." Yeah a digital clutch must be fun :P
#16 - zapz
I have a projector but have never bothered to use it for race simming. 3D on my 22" monitor gives the illusion of a massive wall sized 3d world - you can sit really close to a 3D screen as your eyes don't focus on the screen, but rather at objects in the distance. Basicly it's just like looking out a 22" window with everything within that window being life sized.

However having said that, if you could get multiple 120hz projectors working in 3D, then there is an obvious resolution advantage.

Keeping them all lined up perfectly on a motion simulator could be troublesome though.

Sure is one lucky kid! Keep us posted.
Quote from zapz :Frex FF wheel, shifter and pedals
Force Dynamics motion platform
120hz 1080p 37" LCD monitor with nvidia 3D glasses

I'd go for this, but without the glasses and maybe a bigger screen like the Samsung 21:9 if it fits. And a totally awesome home cinema set.
#18 - zapz
Quote from G!NhO :I'd go for this, but without the glasses and maybe a bigger screen like the Samsung 21:9 if it fits. And a totally awesome home cinema set.

Why no 3D glasses? Unless they give you headaches or motion sickness, I can't think of a single reason NOT to love them to death. I mean, what's not to like about a life sized track coming at you at 100mph?

A good home theater sound set up would be nice, but I wouldn't go too overboard for listening to LFS. Besides I don't think you could load up a motion sim with 400lb+ worth of speakers.
Quote from zapz :Why no 3D glasses? Unless they give you headaches or motion sickness, I can't think of a single reason NOT to love them to death. I mean, what's not to like about a life sized track coming at you at 100mph?

A good home theater sound set up would be nice, but I wouldn't go too overboard for listening to LFS. Besides I don't think you could load up a motion sim with 400lb+ worth of speakers.

You could place them around it not on it.
And i don't know about the glasses, i never tried them.
#20 - zapz
Quote from G!NhO :You could place them around it not on it.
And i don't know about the glasses, i never tried them.

Due to localization of sound, I think you'd want the speakers mounted to the moving motion simulator. The sub could be placed near the motion sim though.

My Sub vote since this is a 'cost no object install' would be the Danley Sound Labs TH221. 138db @ 20hz could be good for drag sims and destroying your hearing. On a more serious note, a DSL TH50 would be more than enough.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com ... %20221%20spec%20sheet.pdf

For speakers, the Gedlee Summa would be great (but overkill) if the motion platform could take the weight. Honestly though, just about any 1/2 decent near field monitor would do the job just fine.

http://www.gedlee.com/Summa_assembled.htm

If you ever get the chance to try the 3D shutter glasses, I'd hazard a guess they'd be back on your list
Quote from Mazz4200 :Make sure you watch "The Gadget Show" Channel 5 on monday night

heeelllooooooo! he aint THAT minted!
Quote from Intrepid :heeelllooooooo! he aint THAT minted!

Shame, but, WOW, how much do i want that in my life

Just strap a portaloo under the seat, get Tescos to deliver a bag of food once a week and ask the neighbour to walk the dog, Bob's yer uncle Fannies yer aunt. I'd never leave the house again..bliss..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG