The online racing simulator
Quote from gotspeed :2:02 i beg to differ?

Special case. Doesn't come up under normal racing conditions.
Quote from Forbin :Special case. Doesn't come up under normal racing conditions.

happens in big wrecks and spins like you said were someone holds the gas and lfs doesn't match it. idk im working on a dds file right now....
Quote from gotspeed :happens in big wrecks and spins like you said were someone holds the gas and lfs doesn't match it. idk im working on a dds file right now....

And you would want to hold the gas down in a spin, ruining your tires, because...
bike were not moving so all the smoke stayed in the same place. and being able to throw out all that smoke in a burnout wouldn't even be on the to-do list.
Quote from Forbin :And you would want to hold the gas down in a spin, ruining your tires, because...

because just like i want a racing sim that when the guy infront of me hits a curb to hard rolls over when some one spins i want the smoke. i want true racing experience not just a well this is kinda how it goes. i never said smoke should be the next thing they should work on but it shouldn't be the very last thing b/c it affects every car and every track.
Physics first. If you can't stand that, come back later when LFS is putting on the eye candy polish on those physics. End of story.

Wait, no - You said you could do a better job. Let's see you do that. Walk the walk. Take Scawen to school on how to code realistic and efficient smoke graphics.
Quote from gotspeed :i want true racing experience not just a well this is kinda how it goes.

People don't put their foot to the floor once they spin (except Jean Alesi :tilt
Quote from gotspeed : hits a curb to hard rolls over when some one spins i want the smoke. i want true racing experience

i've never seen a race car give off smoke when on its roof. sparks maybe, but never smoke.
Quote from dadge :i've never seen a race car give off smoke when on its roof. sparks maybe, but never smoke.

go back and look at the civic type r that flipped it smoked. watch in car footage of any flip theres smoke from the sheet metal getting really hot
the sheet metal can't give off smoke. the paint on it maybe, something bursting maybe, smoke from the tyres previously trapped inside the car getting out maybe.

but a metal grinded giving off that much smoke? nah
the smoke came from the tyres. not the roof. you really don't have a clue do you? can i expect another exageration from you to enforce your point?
dadge, he is right that in an lfs race there is much less smoke than in real life, be it when locking brakes, when oversteering, crashing, etc.

but it's not something that is pressuring the devs right now.
Quote from dadge :the smoke came from the tyres. not the roof. you really don't have a clue do you? can i expect another exageration from you to enforce your point?

ever use a girder or weld? both heat up metal and give off smoke after a while.
The brakes don't glow, metal grind from bottoming out doesn't give sparks, the sun doesn't glint off exact specular angles, dirt doesn't appear on any surfaces, bodywork doesn't break, and so on and on.

Everyone knows already. Where's your proof that you could code a realistic smoke system easily enough that Scavier ought to have fitted it into their past or present to-do short list?
Quote from Breizh :The brakes don't glow, metal grind from bottoming out doesn't give sparks, the sun doesn't glint off exact specular angles, dirt doesn't appear on any surfaces, bodywork doesn't break, and so on and on.

Everyone knows already. Where's your proof that you could code a realistic smoke system easily enough that Scavier ought to have fitted it into their past or present to-do short list?

so all this guts and glory that the devs have for building there own racing sim they can't come up with implementing a partial effect that as already been done. its not like there are trying to land a man on pluto they are trying to recreate something that any one in a 3d design course would have to do.

nvidia has physx that can do smoke effects, make it something that only nvidia cards do in game then. just like the new bat man game and the other 2 dozen games that have better physx because they support the physx platform for doing little effects like that.

car crash with smoke from other then the tires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 43NjY&feature=related
Quote from gotspeed : nvidia has physx that can do smoke effects, make it something that only nvidia cards do in game then. just like the new bat man game and the other 2 dozen games that have better physx because they support the physx platform for doing little effects like that.

All physx brings to a game is the ability to hand off lots and lots of identical calculations to the GPU, where it can do them very quickly if they're the right kind of calculation. It doesn't 'do smoke'. You still have to spend weeks researching fluid dynamics and implementing it in code, when that could be much better spent on (for example) a new track, a new car and new handling physics.
Quote from Crashgate3 :All physx brings to a game is the ability to hand off lots and lots of identical calculations to the GPU, where it can do them very quickly if they're the right kind of calculation. It doesn't 'do smoke'. You still have to spend weeks researching fluid dynamics and implementing it in code, when that could be much better spent on (for example) a new track, a new car and new handling physics.

well the way its going it looks like it take about 1 year to do a track and car so a few weeks doing new smoke that would make a huge difference on every track with every car would be a better use of time/reward when its done.
Quote from gotspeed :ever use a girder or weld? both heat up metal and give off smoke after a while.

how long was that civic sliding on it's roof for? how long do you have to weld for the metal to give off smoke (not smoke from the rod)?
No guts and glory except the big fit you're throwing over a non-issue.
Quote from gotspeed : its not like there are trying to land a man on pluto they are trying to recreate something that any one in a 3d design course would have to do.

Or maybe they don't want to cheap out and hack smoke graphics, but do it right and maybe do it from scratch their own way. Either way your whole gripe was bunk from the start.
Quote from dadge :how long was that civic sliding on it's roof for? how long do you have to weld for the metal to give off smoke (not smoke from the rod)?

150-200 feet with who knows how much weight at 70-80 mph its not how long its how much force is on it too.
Quote from gotspeed : car crash with smoke from other then the tires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 43NjY&feature=related

there isn't that much MORE smoke than what you can see in lfs.

the ferocity with which you approach this matter ("too little smoke in lfs") is really not at all matching the importance of the issue (it's just smoke, there are more important things right now).
:munching_(BETTER THAN TV)

!!!!!!!! F@*@*@ing curbs!!!!
(292 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG