The online racing simulator
Good books for car mechanic students
(8 posts, started )
Hello! Just a quick one...starting college soon doing a light vehicle mechanic course for 2 years, and possibly 3 to be fully qualified.

Just really asking what the best reading and referencing material would be for this...any help would be brilliant!

Thanks in advance!
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Step 1: Find a bolt you want to remove.
Step 2: Find a wrench.
Step 3: Fit wrench end over bolt head. If it doesn't fit, find another wrench.
Step 4: Turn wrench anticlockwise until the wrench is too easy to turn. This may require a lot of force.
Step 5: Turn bolt anticlockwise by hand until it separates from the part.
Step 6: Place the bolt in a safe place with a label on it noting where it came from.
Step 7: To install the bolt, turn the bolt clockwise by hand into the hole until it will not turn anymore.
Step 8: Use the same wrench as before, turning clockwise.
Step 9: When the bolt stops turning, push harder. When the bolt snaps, it's just tight enough.

Congratulations! You're now a certified auto mechanic!

<tongue placed firmly in cheek>
Its a level 2 certificate in light vehicle maintenance and repair - 2 years full time. Its a course to teach diagnostics of non-complex faults as well as general mechanical maintenance.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I have a job at the moment but not in the mechanic industry...the advice is very good and I really would want to do that but it would certainly have to be a paid placement because at the moment I really do need the money.
Experience is best. They can't teach you, in a course, how to diagnose and cure every fault. They'll barely teach you the basics of what you need to know. If they do 'extras' like welding courses, they are worthwhile though.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from tristancliffe :Experience is best. They can't teach you, in a course, how to diagnose and cure every fault. They'll barely teach you the basics of what you need to know. If they do 'extras' like welding courses, they are worthwhile though.

Exactly what he said. A class is good and will help you find a job, but you will not be considered a mechanic until you have the years of experience. It's always good to learn from someone who has experience. You'll learn more from that than by reading a book.

The best way to learn how to be a mechanic is to buy a rare car. Something where the replacement parts are hard to find, expensive, and in some cases completely obsolete.

With experience and time, you will be able to logically diagnose issues. Just learn to read wiring and vacuum diagrams, understand how the components of a car work, and you will do fine.

BTW, what is your current level of expertise? Do you work on your own car? Are you like me and avoid letting other people touch your car at all costs? Would you be afraid to rebuild your transmission?
Quote from PAracer :Exactly what he said. A class is good and will help you find a job, but you will not be considered a mechanic until you have the years of experience. It's always good to learn from someone who has experience. You'll learn more from that than by reading a book.

The best way to learn how to be a mechanic is to buy a rare car. Something where the replacement parts are hard to find, expensive, and in some cases completely obsolete.

With experience and time, you will be able to logically diagnose issues. Just learn to read wiring and vacuum diagrams, understand how the components of a car work, and you will do fine.

BTW, what is your current level of expertise? Do you work on your own car? Are you like me and avoid letting other people touch your car at all costs? Would you be afraid to rebuild your transmission?

At the moment I only the know basics...as in how the basic engine works, brake discs etc...but only to a 'this does that' level on most part.

I really want to get into cars, and don't have any friends or family in the industry. Essentially I have to be guided by pure passion and willpower to teach myself and that is something at this time I am quite happy to earn. I know people don't see it as such a hard job, but I hope to take it further. I see this as a good starting point.

Thanks for all your help so far, we have an alotment with a shed at the top...it used to be owned by a mechanic and when we opened it after 20 odd years we found loads of old car parts in there...was pretty cool. I was looking at them all, finding out what they were amazed! The shed has a hoist and a dug out to go under the car. Since I have access to it, with an access road at the back...I could buy a cheap motor and fix it up. Its just not that easy to get it there, I'd have to get it there via trailer or something. There's also a couple of scrapyards I know of where I could probably get the parts I require. Experience could be gained there

My uncle is a welder, been so for 20 odd years, also welding apparatus up there too...which is apparently still working. He offered to teach me.

Also unfortunately I do not own my own car...yet. Hence why I need the money.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG