The online racing simulator
Driving Force GT: Virtual and Real wheel don't match
Hi there.
A friend of mine is having some problems with his Driving Force GT. The problem is, the virtual (visual game steering wheel) and the real steering wheel (Driving Force GT) are not synchronized. That means, if he turns his Driving Force 90°, the virtual steering wheel in the game will turn a different amount (i.e.: 110°). He made a video to explain it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEA5xXJnz4
Graus = degrees

He set his profiler, LFS and driver settings for wheel turn to 450°, so, theoretically it should turn the same thing on both sterring wheels (virtual and real), but that isn't what actually happens as you can see in the video.

Also, the way the virtual steering wheel turns is totally different from the way the real wheel turns. The in-game wheel turns quicker when close to the center angles, and starts to turn slower when it gets to the higher angles. Compensation is 1 in the video, but he's already tried all numbers from 0 to 1, and the only number that seems to be a bit better is 0.72, even though still doesn't feel correct.

Has anyone else had this problem before? How can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance
#2 - halo
Interesting, its not seems adjustment errors to me.
Did he tried to delete all wheel related drivers, unplug and reinstall his the software?
Maybe it is a good idea to test on the another fresh copy of LFS.
I had this exact problem, I had to click on the {AXES / FF} button under controls and then click recalibrate axes and turn the wheel lock to lock, press the pedals completely and release. As long as the Profiler and LFS are set the same degrees it should work, "Should"

Hope it helps!!
#4 - senn
as long as all his settings are the same degrees AS THE CAR HE IS DRIVING (all the cars have different amounts of wheel rotation, so he needs to check that all the degree settings are the same as the current car) The real life + virtual wheel will only be at 1:1 (ie match correctly) if this is the case. It's annoying because you have to keep changing the settings if you are switching cars (if you're really THAT choosy about it lining up)
Need to adjust the "wheel turn compensation" setting, its the slider under the rotation in the controls/axis/ff screens, I dont remember if 0 or 1 but you will soon see.

Also check "analog steer smooth" in options misc
Good luck.

SD.
#6 - msk
Set it in profiler to 720 degrees, in game too. Set wheel turn compensation to 1, analogue steer smooth to 0 and you should have both wheels synchronized, virtual and real. While driving mrt only 270 degrees of dfgt rotation will be used, while driving xrt 720, without additional adjustments. I hope you understand my poor english.
#8 - halo
Its not wheel compensation, i.e; when the car has 450 degree (FBM) and your wheel is also same no matter the compensation is 0 or 1.

I am still suspected DFGT's software. But hardware problem is also possible (i.e optical reader problem etc.).
If you use latest profiler software, try to previous one (i.e 5.02.116 is what I use).
Before doing that delete everything related with DFGT.
Unplug it than start from the beginning.
As usual, check/adjust the axes in LFS.

If its still the same (I assume that you already tried on a fresh copy of LFS) than most probably your wheel is the problem.

PS: By the way, did you forced your whee against its stops? Or anything beyond the normal use, drop etc..?
Quote from Velociround :He made another video to help explain it better. He's been trying several settings but didn't managed to get it right yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct3yvclTw8s

What else could he try doing to fix it?

I have the same DFGT, and no problem, everything works perfect. my confi, win xp sp3 + lfs Z15 + logitech profiler 5.04.110 / 2009 all perfect, en option lfs all original and work a 450º perfect.

Tip: Formatting PC and reinstall everything from 0.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
The problem was LFS itself. He hasn't created a new install of LFS since patch U, he's been just upgrading it until the latest official patch through the years (0.5Z), and somehow it may have got messed up, I don't know. Today I sent him a fresh LFS install, and it fixed the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I think it was easier just to copy new .con files from data\misc folder, but nice you sorted it out.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG