The online racing simulator
Skin contest - Devs, please read!
I think that the devs should make a contest only aplicable to demo users who are members of this forum. The winner should get a free S2 liscense! I hope the devs (whoever they are) read this!
I notice you're a demo racer ... how are your skinning skills?
Immediately as the new LFS Files is back online and ready, there should be an official S2 skin contest prepared. I cannot go too far into the details/rules, so you'll have to wait and see
Does this mean we can expect a LFS Files emergence again Tweak? Or is this another "has submitted no packages" project (i.e. like mine )?
Nice idea, but is one skin really worth £24? Wouldn't you just settle for a forum award or something
Quote from the_angry_angel :Does this mean we can expect a LFS Files emergence again Tweak? Or is this another "has submitted no packages" project (i.e. like mine )?

Of course you can expect it. Aside from what I thought would've been a long time ago that it would be back, the project is in better shape than it used to be . Because I won't quit (even if people tell me I'll never complete it) on a site that is one of the most important for the community.
Quote from Huru-aito :Nice idea, but is one skin really worth £24? Wouldn't you just settle for a forum award or something

Well, its not like the devs will lose any money by charging themselves £24! It would give LFS lots of publicity, you could make banners saying "Free LFS S2 liscense", which would link to directions on how to enter. It's a great idea!
i think maybe you should just pay for a licence, im sure the devs would like this idea more
Quote from wheel4hummer :I think that the devs should make a contest only aplicable to demo users who are members of this forum. The winner should get a free S2 liscense! I hope the devs (whoever they are) read this!

Good idea - I suggest a £24 entry fee.
illepall No because then it would be pointless for a contest. Maybe anyone can enter then top 15 have to pay a 5 dollar charge to keep going then top 5 or 3 have to pay another 5 dollars. Winner takes all, and the ones that payed can use the money they payed as partial credit to buy the game if they want.... Brilliant?
Quote from Infiniti :illepall No because then it would be pointless for a contest. Maybe anyone can enter then top 15 have to pay a 5 dollar charge to keep going then top 5 or 3 have to pay another 5 dollars. Winner takes all, and the ones that payed can use the money they payed as partial credit to buy the game if they want.... Brilliant?

Sorry I should have bookended my post with [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]
I think this would have been a good idea had a licenced member or a developer suggested it. But as it's come from a demo racer (albeit a well known round here demo racer) you have to think 'vested interest'. If it is ever put into motion I suggest that all those who wanted it (i.e. are just after a free ticket into LFS) are barred from participation...

No, seriously, you don't think if I dreamt up a competition that I would benefit from that I would be allowed to enter, do you?
Quote from farcar :Sorry I should have bookended my post with [sarcasm] [/sarcasm]

As well as a definiton of "sarcasm" ...
Quote from Hankstar :As well as a definiton of "sarcasm" ...

sar·casm
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3. The use of sarcasm.

Better?
I think it's a good idea. Plus the winner will probably put alot of time into the skin so i think it's worth a license. He'll do a quality skin the devs will be using. Sounds fair to me.
Quote from farcar :sar·casm
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3. The use of sarcasm.
4. A vicscous substance which can be seen dripping from this post

Better?

-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Funny git you are only joking on the "git" part of course.
It's not actually a bad idea, it costs the dev's nothing, it gives LFS more exposure, not only in the advertising of the contest, but for the newly licensed driver telling all his mates how cool the full version is etc, etc.

Of course, it is frought with problems, but overall, I think its a good idea.

That said, I do agree that anyone with more than a passing interest in sim-racing should really already be licensed, but there are circumstances where this isnt possible.

Dan,
How about a racing series for the demo racers where the winner of the final (how ever it is structured) wins the licence?

It may be a good way to promote the game and also to promote the clean racing styles expected in S2.
Quote from farcar :How about a racing series for the demo racers where the winner of the final (how ever it is structured) wins the licence?

It may be a good way to promote the game and also to promote the clean racing styles expected in S2.

I think thats a better idea than the skin making one. As the ksin would be whos got the most time and is best at photoshop/paint shop pro or what ever. Where your idea would be down to the drivers and so would be fairer (slightly)
No such atractive prizes, but Master Skinnerz hold regular skinning competitions. The standard is very high and results in some excellent work for public use.
I had a look at this (your?) site earlier. Very impressive work there, two thumbs up .

Quick question: are you allowed to use the uploaded skins online, or is that a big no-no?
Quote from Tweaker :Of course you can expect it. Aside from what I thought would've been a long time ago that it would be back, the project is in better shape than it used to be . Because I won't quit (even if people tell me I'll never complete it) on a site that is one of the most important for the community.

I didnt want to put you down, or anything, and I admire the significant work you've done for the community (both recently and in the [no-so-distant] past) but its been a long time since we've seen LFS Files
Quote from farcar :Quick question: are you allowed to use the uploaded skins online, or is that a big no-no?

All the skins are public, specially the ones from the competitions.

(public for use, not to modify and re-release them)
Like said before, it would be weird to find out a contest, and try to win it yourself. When a company gives a contest out, with a nice prise, it'll always say that employees aren't allowed to compeet, so this is kinda the same.

I like the idea about the race better, and I even more like the idea you just pay 24£. It's not THAT much money. Just like me, cut down on the cell, save a month or two, and it's done. Or you don't get alowance, that's a different story... get a job

Skin contest - Devs, please read!
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG