The online racing simulator
Longer names
(21 posts, started )
Longer names
Could you make that lfs would support more letters in nickname, because for eg some of my team members surnames cant fit in lfs :S
-1 ts totaly enough. Hmmm maybe felipecorner with colors dont fit in? Just a joke
24(if I got that right) symbols is more than enough, imo. If nickname/username length increases then /msg messages length should be increased too, so that when some servers need to announce someone's nickname/username/both, there will be enough space. So I'm -2, for those 2 reasons.

#4 - pik_d
The problem is that some characters actually take up 2 spaces, for example '\' actually reduces the remainavaliable length by 2. Then colors count as 2 characters in addition to the character that is using the color.

If someones display name (without any team tag) is 10 or 11 characters long it limits the amount of colors you can add to your team tag. Lots of teams have 3 divisions of color for the tag then 1 or 2 for the name. As the OP says this will run into issues even with seemingly simple team tags.

The easy solution is to cut down on color changing, and even cut out spaces between stuff. I don't know what the SRLT tag looks like but I went to your page and wow you do have some long names!

I did some testing and if you do

SRLTM.Neverdauskas

With the SRLT in red or green and the name in one other color of its own, every single one of those long names fits. The different colors does enough to visually split it up since the longest names wont fit with a space in between.

It would be nice to have more characters avaliable in situations like this. It's not like people are going to abuse it with obsenely long usernames because they'd likely get punted off any server that's being taken seriously by everyone else.

Also it's "only" 23 characters.
-1 for the idea. i don't want people to start nickname-talking around.
IMO, it would of been better to suggest something like this: When you include a color in your nick - increase the length by 2, and when you remove a color, decrease by 2 again. And the same with all messages.
May also do the same with "\" - but with 1 character.

For that I would vote +1.
But I really don't want to see people with extremely long nicknames.. The amount of characters for a nick/username is, imo, really more than enough. And I really mean - more than what's really needed. Imo, if the thing I just said is ever done, then I'd say put some more limits on nicknames(only nicknames, because usernames can't contain color characters).

But still, that's only my point of view.
ah? the other suggestion then would be when you ading colors they wont afect nickname long because with my curent team tag/colours max lenght could be 17/16 symbols and not all players names fits in lfs so we have to use shortened names
I think team tags and player names should be seperate. Maybe allow just 8 characters for the tag and keep 24 for names. Then give us the option to hide them individually.
this would work to, i dont care actualy i just need that all names would fit in
This request needed a poll.

To me the name is long enough and changing it would mess up msg length limits
Quote from JasonJ :This request needed a poll.

Moderater edit this post and make it into a poll
Quote from JasonJ :This request needed a poll.

You're reading my mind.
Quote from broken :IMO, it would of been better to suggest something like this: When you include a color in your nick - increase the length by 2, and when you remove a color, decrease by 2 again. And the same with all messages.
May also do the same with "\" - but with 1 character.

Programming wise a system like that is a nightmare.
+1. I am fed up of calling myself '[SR]Shaun D.'
Quote from geeman1 :Programming wise a system like that is a nightmare.

I really don't know if it will be hard for the devs, since I don't know what language they are coding on, etc... But I can do such "system"(it's something too small to be called system really) in less than 20minutes(and if I'm not f***ing around, but coding it could happen reaaally fast - and I mean 5mins max).

But still, I don't know how LFS works so I can't tell how hard it will be to implement it there.
Quote from broken :I really don't know if it will be hard for the devs, since I don't know what language they are coding on, etc... But I can do such "system"(it's something too small to be called system really) in less than 20minutes(and if I'm not f***ing around, but coding it could happen reaaally fast - and I mean 5mins max).

They are using C/C++. Making the name variable change lengths depending if it has colors is not that hard. The hard part is sending the information over a network. It's easier to send and interpret variables of constant length. With a variable length you have to send the information length over too and the receiving end has to determine why the name is this length etc.

I am not saying it would be impossible to do, but simply making the name longer is what I would do in this situation.
Mnyea,I'll eat a lolcake now. LFS supports even many letters,tell to your teammates,that they'll get a a name with less characters in it. LFSdoesn'tneedareallylongnamesoeveryonewouldspamatthechatbox.
Quote from hp999 :Mnyea,I'll eat a lolcake now. LFS supports even many letters,tell to your teammates,that they'll get a a name with less characters in it. LFSdoesn'tneedareallylongnamesoeveryonewouldspamatthechatbox.

Maybe it isn't problem for you. Well, it isn't for me either, but for some people is. And I have to say that I have always expected such "fix"(or whatever it would be), like the one I mentioned. Not because I need it, but because colors and special characters shouldn't affect the length of a message/nickname, imo.

Edit: You can spam the chat box as it is now too. It's not so much a matter of limitations, but it's more how mature you are. If people spam now - admins warn/kick them, and I don't see the situation changing if the limits become "more real".

Also while we're at it I'd like to add one more suggestion(I don't think it needs a whole thread): When blocking messages either block all of them or make 3 options of message blocking(like press - once - block like now, press it one more time, and block all messages(including /msg ones), then press it once more and they are unblocked like now).
Quote from broken :press it one more time, and block all messages(including /msg ones),

´
Shift + "-" already does that.

And -1 to the suggestion, the current amount of letters is enough. Either choose a shorter name or don't use 1337 colours.
Quote from broken :Oh, thanks I didn't know that.

Yup,that does block the messages. What I meant under chatbox spamming,was that people use their names to spam not text,what they'll write.

Longer names
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG