The online racing simulator
where's the lift off oversteer?
(64 posts, started )
Quote from ScoobRX :That's the other thing I was wondering about in LFS, putting a locked diff on the cars doesn't have as adverse an effect on handling as I thought it should. They seem to turn just as well, and sometimes even better than they do with a lsd

If you have a locked diff on a RWD car then it should understeer terribly when trying to turn sharply at very low speeds or from standstill, or when off the power, but once you are using enough power to break grip then it should be sideways action all day long once your foot is planted far enough!
RAC = uber lift-off oversteerness
Take the XFG with Bob Smith's road going setup and bump the rear antiroll bar up to around 100. Now you can lift the inside rear wheel when cornering and get lots of fun oversteer.
Quote from Shadowww :Also LX6.

seriously? i can't get that damn thing to turn... i have to do a small compression lock up for hairpins usually to get the back round a bit
Quote from [DUcK] :seriously? i can't get that damn thing to turn...

Have you ever tried using Bob Smith's VHPA?
Quote from Shadowww :Have you ever tried using Bob Smith's VHPA?

sets i get off inferno look like shyte on VHPA but drive much better than when i try to mod them with the program (i am 240% retarded though)
Quote from radnes :sets i get off inferno look like shyte on VHPA but drive much better than when i try to mod them with the program (i am 240% retarded though)

Maybe you are using old VHPA version which has pre-patch Z cars?
Quote from Rotareneg :Take the XFG with Bob Smith's road going setup and bump the rear antiroll bar up to around 100. Now you can lift the inside rear wheel when cornering and get lots of fun oversteer.

Thanks, that seems to more or less work. Road going setups shouldn't have rear ARB's though, and most of the time setting the rear ARB high will cause you to oversteer in all situations, not just on liftoff. About the differential, does turning FWD cars with open diffs really cause the inside wheel to spin so easily? It almost reaches redline on every corner. It seems very exaggerated to me, I would have expected a little bit of spinning or some hopping.
yeah if i go too fast round a corner in my road car (ford laser 1993) even with sports suspension the inside front wheel lifts off, and obviously because of the open diff it spins the inside one because it's the easiest to spin or whatever, and the revs go straight up.

having said that there are obviously still improvements to be made on lfs, but they are on the right track anyway
Quote from [DUcK] :yeah if i go too fast round a corner in my road car (ford laser 1993) even with sports suspension the inside front wheel lifts off, and obviously because of the open diff it spins the inside one because it's the easiest to spin or whatever, and the revs go straight up.

having said that there are obviously still improvements to be made on lfs, but they are on the right track anyway

A rwd with open diff does about the same. The driven wheels don't have to come off the ground completely for this to happen. Just the lightening of the load on the inside tires is enough as long as you have a little bit of extra horsepower. On the track my BMW 3 series with 170HP will do it easily... it's very annoying. Once that wheel breaks loose, it will just keep spinning until the weight gets equalized.
Quote from Scawen :Hello LFS Racers,
While we were working on the Scirocco in December, we found that we could not make the LFS model handle as well as the real car. One of the reasons for this was that the LFS tyres had too much grip and this was causing the inside wheels to lose too much load while cornering. But simply reducing the grip would not have been a good approach... the result would have been just the same old LFS but at lower speeds.

I guess that more or less explains the weird differential behavior and possibly the liftoff oversteer being too subtle, I was suspecting excessive grip as the culprit.
well done scoobrx

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG