The online racing simulator
Adelaide as a track?
(52 posts, started )
#26 - clp
Quote from tristancliffe :Certainly did - but the fast kink in the old straight was too severe (nearly killing Häkkinen, but due to an emergency tracheostomy with a pen he only suffered deafness in one ear, and even that improved), so they made the track duller to cope.

Actually, not true.

The shorter circuit is used for the local V8 race while the longer circuit is/has been used for the international races (eg F1 and the single 6 hour race held on new years eve a number of years ago)

The fast kink on the longer circuit (linking Jones and Brabham straights) had a bunch of raised kerbs that don't show up on that track map that tightened up the corner and forced cars to slow (at least a bit!) .. in fact, those kerbs are still there!

The newer, shorter version has a flat out kink which seems to be much more dangerous due in part to the lack of run off. So it's certainly not "duller" in that particular area!

IMO the longer track which included the off camber S bend near Gate 5 and the stag corner at Gate 6 was a much more interesting circuit

CLP
Quote from Becky Rose :One track i'd like to see is Baathurst rather than Adelaide or the 'ring - that'd be awesome with a 'Holden' V8 . I didn't think the 'ring had been used for racing in decades - was it '77/78 or thereabouts when they closed it? I may be wrong as I am no expert on the tracks history but I thought it only opened again as a track day course in recent years ?

Yes, Bathurst rocks (in GPL at least).

Quote from Becky Rose :If user made tracks did become a reality we might also get Spa Francochamps ... which lets face it: Is the greatest race circuit in the world, ever.

Spa.. It seems everybody else likes it except me. But let's forget Spa and let's have Laguna seca, the old mexican track from GPL and some modern (boring) track from F1, like Bahrain or the Turkish track
Quote from Armchair Expert :By the way, I wonder why LFS creators do not allow fans of the game to create and custom tracks, like it is made for years with GPL.

Because it's a totally different situation: the track-making tools and dozens of other utilities available for GPL were made by GPL fans in the years after the game's release (and after Papyrus/Sierra left the title alone because it didn't sell well, and noone had a PC tough enough to run it properly). I believe the only after-market GPL tool actually made by Papyrus was a patch that allowed you to run GPL on a faster CPU than were being used in 1998 (when GPL was released). Basically, you have the GPL community alone to thank for all 500 available tracks (except the 11 that come with the game), countless track and car addons as well as every single GPL utility that's available. Not to mention the 1965 and 69 season mods, the upcoming 1968 Tasman season mod and the (somewhat in the distance) 1950s and 1930s mods...

Quote :I think that the possibility of creating tracks - real and fictional ones - by fans would make LFS a game to stay at the top for many, many years.

I'd like that too, especially if it meant people would make Adelaide, Nordschliefe, Bathurst, Lime Rock, Lobethal or any track really...there are that many in the world now, and so many extinct classic tracks that we'd never run out of places to race Realistically though, we shouldn't expect to see any developer kits until after S3, if ever...
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameisprettycleveractually :... someone (I forget who) - upon hearing a suggestion that LFS should be mod-able - always posts a bunch of screengrabs of truly nasty-looking mod content from GPL and rFactor.

Oi! There's no nasty-looking content in GPL mods, ever! and there's only 2 mods anyway ('65 and '69) ... in fact it's so damn difficult to create tracks or update graphics that only the most dedicated editors even bother - consequently each new track is like a work of art, and historically accurate to the point of being seriously anal (it needs to be or the Realism Police cart 'em off to Gitmo)...as for mods, well it's even more difficult to mess with GPL physics, so it's not like anyone can just open it up and make a new mod. The makers never even considered it when making GPL so, as with the other GPL editing tools, the guys who wanted to make the 1965 Mod (the first GPL mod - came out in 2004) had to basically crack GPL's exe and then spent years figuring out what did what and how to adjust it and testing everything ad nauseam ... messing with GPL's code makes mapping the human genome look like doing a google search

Just FYI
Any dodginess you've seen must be from another game or screens of a WIP...
People just don't get it that this is as close we get to Nordschleife.

(sorry, it's old, I've posted it here numerious times )
It's as funny as it was the first time I saw it :zombie:
LFS is not support or allow user created cars and tracks until after S2 is final or the sim is abandoned by the devs, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with the potential quality of user created mods, licencing issues are any other reason mentioned here. There is one simple reason and nothing we say can or will change then fact, its a dead subject.

What is the difference between then Demo of LFS and S2? It not the features, its not he physics, its the content, the cars and tracks. Now with the only thing you are buying being the cars and tracks, where does that leave the devs if they allow you to make your own cars and tracks?

It leaves them no longer in control of their sim, their dream, their lively hood. It would mean then end of development of LFS and the physics would never improve, new features will never get added and you would have a half finished sim for which you can build cars and tracks. illepall

Personaly I would rather see the sim finished, with dam good physics, loads of useful features and when its finished a set of dev tools to build then cars and tracks I want to drive and drive on.
the only problem i see if you were to use adelaide is you'd almost certainly need some alternate configs, otherwise you're modelling the city environment for only 1 config, and also the reverse varient.

in the end there are lots of tracks we'd love to see in LFS, but license fees are another thing. i reckon the devs are being very respectful, in that all names of cars, tracks and the content itself bares little resemblance to real tracks or real cars.

originality is one of LFS's strong points IMO. eric does amazing tracks, and whilst adelaide would be nice, if there's only the 1 current config i reckon people would get bored fairly quickly.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'd agree with you were it not for the fact that someone (I forget who) - upon hearing a suggestion that LFS should be mod-able - always posts a bunch of screengrabs of truly nasty-looking mod content from GPL and rFactor.

Don has posted some links that I've seen. Here it is:

http://forum.rscnet.org/attach ... d=342047&d=1136933280

Still makes me laugh. :hihi:
Quote from Hankstar :Ajax ... do you mean Avus? Because that was basically up one side of an autobahn, around a right kink then a tight left hairpin, down the other side of the autobahn, round a ridiculously steep banked turn (which was paved with bricks!), start again...an insanely fun and deadly track in a 3 litre 400hp GPL banger
They stopped using it during the 50s I think as it claimed a few lives. Big surprise.

Avus was closed end 1990's,as the Lausitzring was completed,and the track was getting too dangerous.
As much as I would like to see all these new tracks and cars, I'd much rather LFS remained closed to modding at the present moment. I think that modding can fragment a community, just look at rFactor for an example. I'm not bashing rF here as I actually enjoy driving some of the mods, but it's difficult to get a decent game online because everybody is playing different mods with different tracks and you need to have the right files or it ends up a lesson in frustration.
Quote from deggis :Well, you could take a same kind of pic from LFS...

Really? Show me!
Quote from farcar :Really? Show me!

Not literally... but compare that unpresentative screenshot (from some unfinished crappy mod and probably not even taken with full gfx settings) to the recent screens of the NAGT mod for instance: http://thepits.us/board/viewto ... 8b75d4bb2cc552b9c54930b40

Got the point?

And I don't even have rFactor, so I'm not a rFactor fan.
Quote from deggis :Not literally... but compare that unpresentative screenshot (from some unfinished crappy mod and probably not even taken with full gfx settings) to the recent screens of the NAGT mod for instance: http://thepits.us/board/viewto ... 8b75d4bb2cc552b9c54930b40

Got the point?

And I don't even have rFactor, so I'm not a rFactor fan.

Erm that's not a link to screenshots of LFS looking crappy.
Your link proves that good mods can be made as well as bad ones. I already know that.
The main concern is the good to bad mod ratio.
Well.. this thread went off in unintended directions didnt it?
It is impossible to have a thread about a new track without people mentioning the 'ring or suggesting other new tracks to LFS
Track threads going OT: a certainty of the huamn condition, just like death and taxes
I would love to see the devs include this track.

If Eric/Scawen is serious about this, I will chase up the "detailed" road plans from work to exact measurements. Working for Transp0rt SA has some advantages.

Adelaide has an advantage over other Road tracks in that it has two configurations, F1 and Sprint. The latter is shorter and omitts two famous crash corners. Stag and the well known corner Hakkinen crashed on.

Bathurst is also a public road however it isn't a maintained by Vic Roads, but rather the district. Not too sure who would have the plans in this case.

Rob
Quote from Bramski :In that case why not just have the Nordschleife as that's a public road.

Immmagine............

The Nürburgring Nordschleife is owened by the Nürburgring... (I know sounds a little bit silly) but the Nürburgring is a Compeny too. You have to pay to drive on it.

Quote from Hankstar :Ajax ... do you mean Avus? Because that was basically up one side of an autobahn, around a right kink then a tight left hairpin, down the other side of the autobahn, round a ridiculously steep banked turn (which was paved with bricks!), start again...an insanely fun and deadly track in a 3 litre 400hp GPL banger
They stopped using it during the 50s I think as it claimed a few lives. Big surprise.

The AVUS would be possible because it haven't been existing a motorsport race on it since '99. Only a few bike races. The Eurospeedway Lausitz was built as alternative to the AVUS.
I've got found two links about race tracks.

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/

http://www.racingcircuits.net/

The two pages are showing race tracks including the facts. There are "Track proposals" and closed tracks too. From hill climbing over ice racing tracks and dirt tracks, to the huge Ovals, Rovals and Roadcourses all around the world. The second page has got the most tracks, all are real. The first one have got a Fantasy Track area, too, which are looking like real Race Track plans.
Quote from TFalke55 :The Nürburgring Nordschleife is owened by the Nürburgring... (I know sounds a little bit silly) but the Nürburgring is a Compeny too. You have to pay to drive on it.

I thought you paid to drive the Nordshleife because it is a public access, one way, toll road. I dont know how it works in Germany, but in the UK, if a road is public then you can't charge people to drive on it.
Quote from Bramski :I thought you paid to drive the Nordshleife because it is a public access, one way, toll road. I dont know how it works in Germany, but in the UK, if a road is public then you can't charge people to drive on it.

maybe It was unclearly said by me: The Nordschleife is a 100% Race-Track, a privat road track. So everyone who wants to drive one lap have to pay e.g. 7€. It's owened by the Nürburgring. And there are two racing games I know (GT4 & PGR2) which took the Nürburgring under licence.

here the english HP of the Nürburgring http://www.nuerburgring.de/home/index.html?L=1

We should make a list of race tracks we would like to see. Maybe including Fatasy Track areas.

Adelaide as a track?
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG