The online racing simulator
How about a second clutch?
(30 posts, started )
#1 - carey
It’s a feature that I haven’t seen in any other game (which would give LFS some sort of bragging rights), plus it’s what some F1 drivers utilise, for those lightening starts although those with a clutch pedal might complain!
What?

You mean those double clutch gearboxes (DSG, PDK, etc.)?

While those might not be exactly modeled right now, they wouldn't really make any difference to the game. We already have cars with sequential gearboxes with auto clutch, a double clutch gearbox would just be a faster version of those.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :Give us the option to map a second independent clutch.

But real cars only have one clutch pedal.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I don't think F1 cars use dual clutch systems.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Uhh.. You sure? I thought they used automated manual transmissions; single clutch semiautos

btw @tristan, you get a new formula (in your avatar)?
They use a single clutch in F1, but with clever dog ring and actuation design to provide 'seamless shifts'. It sort of engages two gears at the same time, and lets the torque spikes and differentials, plus ramps and flats on the dogs sort out which gear jumps out before any damage is done.

But only one clutch.

Newish mate. Bought it a year ago, and racing it this year.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Much has changed since 2004... (if anything is the same anymore)

tristan - looks like fun! sure it's got far more power than what you were used to in your reynard
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :Not really. I'd rather have the added control another independent clutch would give you (although for realism purposes it would only be applicable to the F1 car).

There is only one clutch paddle in a F1 car.

You are probably confusing dual clutch gearboxes (DSG, PDK, etc) with having two independent clutch pedals (or paddles). Those types of gearboxes do have two clutches, but in those the clutches are controlled by a computer, the driver does not have multiple clutch pedals.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
If I remember correctly there are two sets of paddles on an F1 car, the upper paddles are shifters, and the lower paddles are clutches. you have two clutch paddles, one under each shift paddle.

That is what I was told when I got to look at one up close anyway.

Edit: I have confirmed that, there ARE two clutch paddles on an F1 car. but unless you have two sets of paddles on your wheel it would be a pretty usless feature in LFS.
Don't both of those paddles control the same clutch though..?

I thought there were two to make it easier for the driver?

Use right clutch paddle to shift up using left gear paddle, and left clutch paddle to shift down using right shifter paddle?

Or am I just insane.
Quote from XCNuse :Don't both of those paddles control the same clutch though..?

Yes

Quote :Or am I just insane.

Yes
There is only one clutch, and I don't think that the OP meant there where two clutches, but he did mean there are two clutch paddles, he just didn't word it clearly.

If you do happen to have a double set of paddles on your wheel you could just use a script to run both paddles on the same clutch, there arn't any wheels that come with this standard, so it would just add time to the development of the next patch for very little gain.
An approving contribution: http://www.f1technical.net/articles/30

On the other hand, I could summarize my thoughts about this suggestion as follows: ATM, LFS is (online) racing simulator, rather than F1 simulator. We must omit a lot of stuff in F1 technological world. Such as KERS, fuel mixture options, etc.. Just one example. I remember that commentators once mentioned in a F1 program, only the F1 steering wheel manual consists of nearly 400 pages.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :KERS’ a 2009 addition, so it wouldn’t make sense in LFS, because it has a 2006 F1 car and personally I’d like more control over fuel consumption.

KERS was just an example. Before KERS, there was extra rev button likewise.

I do understand and respect your suggestion in the name of realism, although it seems like as "crème de la crème". But I insist upon there is no chance all the F1 technology embedding in LFS. Because this is input - output matrice issue.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from carey :Well I do, so it wouldn’t be.

.. what wheel do you have???
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Congrats on owning the ugliest wheel ..

But seriously that thing looks kinda cool, do the LEDs at top work? Or have you tried to get them to work at least?

Get a Momo racing if you want FF but are cautious about expenses, G25 obviously if you want best of best
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Aww that stinks about the LEDs!

Yea .. god, I keep forgetting about DFP, it's a little more expensive, it really just comes down to how much you're willing to spend.

Just be aware lots of DFPs seemed to have breaking pedal issues :/
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I haven't heard much about those things since the beta testings, all I remember is people were saying the H shifter felt awesome, but they're pretty expensive..
I've had a DFP for 2 years now and the pedals are still perfectly fine.
I can't remember how long it was until my brake pedal went out on my momo racing, i have a piece of foam under there now, spring just snapped like it was nothing, I think it took about 3 years and it just went.

I just remember a few people having some more than serious issues with the DFPs in some cases.

(well what do you expect, it's how many pounds of force you're pushing on it, can't expect it to last forever!)
-
(aroX123) DELETED by aroX123
#23 - Woz
I have used a number of wheels over the years. The DFP (Had for a couple of years) has reall gearing lag issues compared to the G25. Single bit motor vs 2 small nimble motors.

I never used the DFP pedals so cant comment as used ActLabs pedals and shifter with the DFP.

G25 is a great wheet though. Worth the cash if you are into sim racing!
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
Quote from DragonCommando :If I remember correctly there are two sets of paddles on an F1 car, the upper paddles are shifters, and the lower paddles are clutches. you have two clutch paddles, one under each shift paddle.

last year when i still had the speed network, they used to run these little informative interviews before the f1 events... one of them was talking about maclaren's f1 car, and more importantly, the steering wheel. from what i remember the other two paddles were actually for on-the-fly brake balance.
Quote from bunder9999 :last year when i still had the speed network, they used to run these little informative interviews before the f1 events... one of them was talking about maclaren's f1 car, and more importantly, the steering wheel. from what i remember the other two paddles were actually for on-the-fly brake balance.

There's a selector knob on the wheel for that, same with other on the fly settings, and clutch maps. There are several different clutch settings for an F1, with different timing, speeds and ramps.

As far as LFS goes, there is alot of stuff missing for the F1, but considering how much there is, and the fact that you can go to garage to change the important things at any time durring practice, it's hardly a problem at all and would be alot of pointless work for the devs.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG