The online racing simulator
Build your own Engine
(104 posts, started )
Quote :because in many forms of motorsport the engine reg's are tight enough that the majority of teams have the same or very similar engines, there just isnt the scope there for changing much if anything.

could u give some examples, not trying to call u out or anything just wanna know.
Quote :I really hope that engine setup doesnt happen at least before the other setup pages are fixed and made more realistic, and if it does happen its not like the infintesimle setups we have now.

LFS has a LONG way to go before the existing setup system is made more realistic, without thinking about adding engine parameters.

i said that earlier, adding such a featue is a huge update and i rather see other stuff implemented and fixed first
Quote :

You talk about modifying the engine of the XF Gti above, IRL many forms of racing that would include a car type like the XF Gti would have extremely limiting factors on the engine, you wouldnt be able to just change the displacement, or add a turbo, and if you could everyone would do it and there would be no advantage, back to square one.

if u look at the SCCA honda-cup (i am comparing Civcs to GTI) u wil see that the rules do call for "The Honda Cup is designed to provide an exciting, highly competitive, Honda-specific racing venue. Technical innovation is strongly encouraged while close racing will be ensured by a minimum of easily met and enforced restrictions. " but if u read all the rules u will see alot of stuff is unretricted.

http://www.honda-cup.com/ Click on competitors and u will be proivided with the links

Quote :edit : sounds like you have been used to playing GT4 TBH, the way GT4 works is the same way your train of thought is thinking, chuck as much horsepower as you can at a car to win a race, IRL it just aint like that.

My whole point is not win by horsepower but win by strategy. I for one don't think most horsepower always wins. with an engine and suspension design there are alot of factors to prevent that from happening. when u add engine design u can bring different cars into the same class like XRT and GTi.
As for the engine tuning, of course I'd like to see it! Not that I could do much or understand it, I would love it.

But I think you are having a wrong image of the whole engine tuning affair. It is not that you increase some value, put some reinforcements there and there, tweak it little, notice that the engine heats up too much... It's about you change some value slightly, increase some values and notice the engine won't start at all.

But I'd say that some kind of simplified system could be doable. Like the current setup system. You can change all the suspension setting without being afraid that the shock mounts fall off or etc.

There would be still a whole lots of things to alter even if the valve number, bore size, cylinder blocks and heads, stroke and turbos would be left out. Building whole engines would be a pain to program/do properly. And what kind of racing cars have no limits for engine building?
#28 - Vain
Engine mapping might be something interesting for the FOX and FO8. Regardless wether Formula Renault or F3000 have that, it would propably be a very good addition because it adds a lot of strategy to long races.
And we shouldn't even think about making the engines of streetcars editable.

Vain
Quote :Building whole engines would be a pain to program/do properly. And what kind of racing cars have no limits for engine building?

i use to think that too but look at LFS now look at the physics system. it probaly wasnt easy to do. any engine system should not be anyless more complicated that the current physics system.

Am down for racing with limits i just don't think it should be decided by the game it self but by whose holding the race.

Quote :And we shouldn't even think about making the engines of streetcars editable.

why? its common practice where i come from.
IMO i study an automotive course at uni and although im only im my second year, if all enginre characteristics were implemented then i would expect 90% if not more players would be to confused by it all and possibly leave. Also if engine modification is to happen, i think its an all or nothing situation. As in - leave it out or have every possibility.

As tristan pointed out (not completely serious i no but has a point) that there is IRL 100's if not 1000's of different possibilities in one engine, and lfs has 18 cars (i think its 18 anyway)

im not sure about all of these as i dont follow them but im sure if its not no engine tweaking its very little. THink formula ford, formula renault, btcc to an extent, A1 GP, cupra cup etc. I no A1 GP was designed to be whos the better driver instead of whos got the most money. Cupra cup is done to find out whos the better driver in pretty much (if not) identical cars. And whoever won got a chance to race for seat in the btcc.

My point is reli - engine tweaking, tuning, modification in anyway is all or nothin IMO. And even though i know my way round an engine to a degree i wouldnt have a clue to full engine tuning.

Just my £0.02 worth.
Quote from Greboth :IMO i study an automotive course at uni and although im only im my second year, if all enginre characteristics were implemented then i would expect 90% if not more players would be to confused by it all and possibly leave. Also if engine modification is to happen, i think its an all or nothing situation. As in - leave it out or have every possibility.

As tristan pointed out (not completely serious i no but has a point) that there is IRL 100's if not 1000's of different possibilities in one engine, and lfs has 18 cars (i think its 18 anyway)

im not sure about all of these as i dont follow them but im sure if its not no engine tweaking its very little. THink formula ford, formula renault, btcc to an extent, A1 GP, cupra cup etc. I no A1 GP was designed to be whos the better driver instead of whos got the most money. Cupra cup is done to find out whos the better driver in pretty much (if not) identical cars. And whoever won got a chance to race for seat in the btcc.

My point is reli - engine tweaking, tuning, modification in anyway is all or nothin IMO. And even though i know my way round an engine to a degree i wouldnt have a clue to full engine tuning.

Just my £0.02 worth.

I do not exactly agree with this statement.Dont think ppl will quit playing LFS if engine characterstics were introduced.In fact as i see it,it would enhance the learning experience of the game.I really think that LFS or any other racing sim.(havent tried other sims though) can help impart a lot of knowledge about the way automobiles work to many who arent really aware.Though i have always been a hardcore auto enthusiast all my life,i frankly accept that only when i started playing the game,i came to know in detail about the suspension settings (damping,ride height etc) and final drive settings,gear ratios,toe in toe out,parallel steer etc etc....though i have always had a rough idea about what each of these were,i never really knew what a difference they made to the overall handling and car control,based on individual driving styles too.So LFS actually gave me a feel and experience of howthings work in car racing....though its virtual...but then its a racing sim.

So all i am trying to say is we must include,if not all, atleast a few basic and vital engine char. to make it a complete racing sim. i.e. let it cover each and every aspect of racing.And moreover even in F-1,all cars appear similar.....as of what we can make out,watching a race or qulifying.....they differ only in speeds...but when each and every aspect is considered the cars differ by a lot of things....not only the engine but also the aerodynamics....they all appear smilar because every car has a set of norms and specifications to meet.....so they are all V8s agreed.....but they are all different....

one more thing.not trying start an argument or anything here.but why so much haterd to GT4 ???? i did find a similar something about NFS too....lol.....(think i sparked the fuel!!!! )....
point taken
Quote :im not sure about all of these as i dont follow them but im sure if its not no engine tweaking its very little. THink formula ford, formula renault, btcc to an extent, A1 GP, cupra cup etc. I no A1 GP was designed to be whos the better driver instead of whos got the most money. Cupra cup is done to find out whos the better driver in pretty much (if not) identical cars. And whoever won got a chance to race for seat in the btcc.

Those leagues where deff made with driver skill in mind. but the whole goal of the engine tweak tune build is not to destroy that aspect of LFS but to add to LFS. Just because Engine modifications where added don't mean u can't hold racees where the engines are the same. no?

As i stated before i rather see it user determined whether or not engines can be modified for a given race

LFS as a sim is very unique because its not a road car sim, Formula sim,kart sim. its a mixture of all, and this is mostly due to its dynamic physics. because of this u see stuff like drifting happenning. as sure when scarwen first started he prob didn't fore see people drifting. Engine modfication would create a different types of gameplay and LFS leagues not seen before.
From a purely logistical point of view it's pretty hard to imagine any of this being implemented. For a start, Scawen would have to do all of it (unless he wants another guy in the team, which I think he doesn't, going by what he's said in the past), which would take ages. Because of that, he'd do it last of all, probably after S3 was released and everything was finalised. Then we'd all be waiting for him to finish the engine bits and when he did, everyone's hotlaps would be null and void and we'd have to start over. Further still, you'd have people complaining about "why wasn't this particular aspect of engine tuning included when this other one was, and why can I adjust this bit but not this other bit?" and so forth.

Then, unless you were participating in organised races (which would need to have rules as well as people who would monitor those rules), which many people don't, you'd roll up to a server for a quick pickup race and be blown off the track by some experienced tunester(s) who wouldn't share his setup/advice and you'd be dissillusioned quite quickly (that, or you'd see a list full of non-tune or tune-only servers and you may not see anything that suits you - and sometimes it's hard enough already to find a track/car combo you like, depending on the time of day). Well, I would, coming from the "I have no idea about engines and don't care enough to learn simply for a PC game" camp as I do. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

It's not such a bad idea in itself, but I just don't think LFS needs it. LFS is focussed at drivers primarily and that's where I'd like it to stay. That may change in the future but I honestly can't see it happening.

@zeeaq: it's not that people hate GT4 and NFS around here, it's just that a lot of the locals have seen so many threads asking for arcadey stuff like bodykits, huge wings, neons, "stage 4 turbos", NOS and other assorted non-sim clip-on fashion/toy parts that simply aren't in the spirit of LFS (which is for racing, not ricing) they're just a bit over hearing about it LFS is a simulator and bares only a passing resemblance to those console mega-hits
Quote :For a start, Scawen would have to do all of it (unless he wants another guy in the team, which I think he doesn't, going by what he's said in the past), which would take ages. Because of that, he'd do it last of all, probably after S3 was released and everything was finalised.

look at the physics now there alot of numbers in the mix to get the results we we play with. If you shown me this game and i didn't know who made it. last thing i would of guessed was one person did all the programming. Am still amazed at it. from a developement stand point i don't see it being much more difficult than the current Physics system.

Quote :everyone's hotlaps would be null and void and we'd have to start over.

its often said on this forum that LFS is a alpha and far from finished. if thats the case, as the physics are tweaked the hotlaps will all become "Null and Void" anyway. plus you could make hotlaps only done with standard engines.

Quote :"why wasn't this particular aspect of engine tuning included when this other one was, and why can I adjust this bit but not this other bit?" and so forth.

don't we already have this today.

Quote :(which would need to have rules as well as people who would monitor those rules)

this could be all done easily server side same way u retric certain types of cars

Quote :you'd roll up to a server for a quick pickup race and be blown off the track by some experienced tunester(s) who wouldn't share his setup/advice and you'd be dissillusioned quite quickly

This can already happen if someone has a superior setup

Quote :(that, or you'd see a list full of non-tune or tune-only servers and you may not see anything that suits you - and sometimes it's hard enough already to find a track/car combo you like, depending on the time of day

If done right it could eliminate this problem. why because we can have classes that are not based on cars themselves but specification of the cars
Stock Class A Class B ETC. although u have a point (i don't know whats its like finding a race in Full version)
OK, I didn't notice you're a demo racer. In that case it's even more suprising that you want all this extra gear when you haven't even tried the other 15 cars and the rest of the tracks! Strange how people can form such strong opinions about something they haven't experienced to the full yet...

Well, all I can suggest is that you get the full version and mess around for a month or two, then see if you still think all this extra farnarkling is actually necessary

Quote :look at the physics now there alot of numbers in the mix to get the results we we play with. If you shown me this game and i didn't know who made it. last thing i would of guessed was one person did all the programming. Am still amazed at it. from a developement stand point i don't see it being much more difficult than the current Physics system.

What are you basing that on? Talk to a developer and see what they say.

Quote :don't we already have this today.

You are living proof of that

Quote :although u have a point (i don't know whats its like finding a race in Full version)

As I said, grab it, try it and then see. It's great value - better than anything else out there (imho).
Quote : What are you basing that on? Talk to a developer and see what they say.

After reading LFS manual its quite obvious its not a simple physics engine. i mean u can just look at it tons of numbers all over the place.

I have my reaons for why i havnt bought the game, it has nothing to do with quality though. My opinion isnt going to change even if i buy the game.
If that's the case I think this debate is close to being pointless. Without the full experience of S2 (and the subsequent improvements that have come since its release), I don't believe you can make an informed decision about it, or what should be done to it. It's like eating a handful of fries from McDeath's and then asking them to add fruit cake to their menu.

If you'd been racing S2 (and hanging around here) for long enough to get a feel for the game, and what the devs are trying to create, then maybe I'd consider your argument more carefully. Many have suggested these sorts of things before and the general feeling I got from those threads was that they weren't needed or wanted in LFS.

But hey, it's your opinion, so stick to it

Peace
.h.
Quote from lalathegreat :look at the physics now there alot of numbers in the mix to get the results we we play with. If you shown me this game and i didn't know who made it. last thing i would of guessed was one person did all the programming. Am still amazed at it. from a developement stand point i don't see it being much more difficult than the current Physics system.

no no no no no NO !
for the most part (or at least for a very large part) engine behaviour is affected by fluid dynamics the computation of which is a field thats still solely in the hands of engineering experts and very good coders
if you ever want to see any results you have to know a lot about the basics of fluid dynamics ... a lot about fe grid optimisation and also on writing fast code
and even then simulating a single valve takes an eternity on a home pc

there is just no way scawen would ever be able to find the time and knowledge to code that into lfs (id still like to have aero code based on cfd simulations of the actual car models lfs uses though)
especially since afaik there are no commercial products available at this point that offer a complete engine development environment ... so lfs would be a first of its kind

dont get me wrong it would be amazing if there were any way to design an engine have lfs calculate its torque curve and redline and feed these figures into the setup (long explanation for preprocessing) ... but i wouldnt want to pay thousands of euros for an lfs license
Quote :for the most part (or at least for a very large part) engine behaviour is affected by fluid dynamics the computation of which is a field thats still solely in the hands of engineering experts and very good coders
if you ever want to see any results you have to know a lot about the basics of fluid dynamics ... a lot about fe grid optimisation and also on writing fast code
and even then simulating a single valve takes an eternity on a home pc

what do u mean by fluid Dynamics?

Thats way more complex than what i am suggesting. i get the feeling some of u guys think i am suggesting simmulatring everything in the engine down to thermal Dynamics and combustion physics. deff far from that

On a seperate note have u seen the program Engine Analyser Pro?
There are different levels of abstraction you can aim for when writing an engine model. It's not necessary to write a full 3D FEM system in order to make a very realistic engine simulation that produces torque/power curves that are close enough to reality. I've written three or four engine models over the past decade or so. They range from simple to very complex, but they don't need to be 3D mesh type things that take forever to run to produce very good results. (They do, however, take a very long time to write if you've never done it before and are not already rather knowledgable about engines. My latest engine model is arguably more complicated than my vehicle dynamics system from a programming perspective.)

The drag racing simulation I wrote, Straightline Acceleration Simulator, has an engine simulation in it that I wrote mostly while in high school (QuickEngine Builder). If you check out the demo, you'll find it runs a complete torque/power curve in a fraction of a second. Granted, it's a much simpler model than my latest stuff, but it works quite well regardless and is plenty fast enough for use in games. Since then I've done a lot more complicated stuff that does everything you guys are talking about and more, but they do take more execution time to run.

For a good portion of the past few months I've been writing a 2-stroke engine simulation based on what I've learned writing 4-stroke models for inclusion in Virtual RC Racing 4.0. So far the results are quite good and we fully intend to have this engine tuning in VRC as it's very much a part of real racing.

The setup options that can be changed in the model are very extensive (all the port timing events and passage sizes and so forth, it's a full blown wave action simulation), but we're not going to have more than a handful of them available for the public to play with. I.e., in reality (in RC anyway) people play with different exhaust pipes, glow plugs, and tune the fuel mixture, and that's about it. They might grind the exhaust port a bit to change the exhaust timing to shift the power curve around a bit, but usually only the pros or very experienced racers mess with that. However, one of the cool benefits you get from it is that when weather conditions change the curves are effected realistically. You need to change the mixture a bit or maybe the glow plug in order to maximize yourself for that weather condition.

Exhaust pipe selection moves your power curve around, trading off low end torque for top end power or vice versa. In the current VRC version we allow a limited form of engine tuning so people can already play with the exhaust or select different engines, but it's all based on multiplier tables running off a real engine torque curve and so on rather than an actual simulation like I'm working on now. Still though, nobody complains about it in our community and simply sees engine setup as another thing to play with to get the car running how they want. In fact, quite a lot of them have asked for more engine variables to play with.

Attached is a dyno run from the simulation in its current state. There's still a fairly long way to go yet, but you can see how it compares to a real engine. The green lines are the torque/power curves of a real engine, except for the low end part where the torque curve is flat (this was at a low rpm where we didn't have any dyno data.) The red and black lines are horsepower and torque, respectively, produced by the simulation. As you can see it matches up quite well, especially for a model that runs the entire curve somewhere between 0.5 and 1.5 seconds or so. So you really don't need to have a super complex model that takes hours or days to run like the manufacturers might use in order to get pretty close results.

As for the various arguments pro/against engine simulations in racing sims, I must admit I find the "it'll complicate things and I don't know anything about engines" argument a bit ironic. I agree with others that you're already setting up the chassis, which is a very complex thing indeed to do, and that can easily make the difference between winning and losing a race. Most of you guys know quite a lot about setting up a car and I'd bet it's mostly because of the sims you've been playing. You learned to do it. And you can learn to set up an engine as well. In fact, you might find it easier to set up an engine than the chassis You really don't have to be sculpting your own combustion chamber and port designs in 3D or anything like that. Nobody does that but the engine manufacturers anyway.

Engine tuning isn't about getting stage 1 this, then stage 2 that, and so on, where whoever has stage 4 of everything blows away the competition. That's indeed very arcade and I suspect many of the folks that are against this idea are picturing that happening. I agree that if that was the case it would ruin LFS for a lot of people. However, if the setup options were realistic it might be quite fun and really not ruin things the way folks are thinking.

In my big car sim I regularily play with engine tuning by running curves off my QuickEngine Builder and find it to be really fun to do. What most people probably don't know is that making an engine produce absolutely as much horsepower as you can make it create is actually going to kill you. I.e., if your engine is going to blow up at 7000 rpm and you try to produce literally as much horsepower as possible, what you'll do is choose parts that get the torque to peak as close to 7000 rpm as possible. Then you can tell your friends about the 5.7L 600HP combination you came up with. Then you show up at the track and find you have absolutely no torque coming out of any of the corners and are getting blown away by guys with 400HP.

Yesterday I was running a 500HP car and swapped in a 750HP motor in my sim. My lap time on a minute and a half lap only improved by 2-3 seconds. Why? Because this particular track only had one straight long enough to take advantage of the power. You can't do a whole lot with the wheels spinning all the way down a short straight between two turns. Adding more top end power just makes it harder to control. So really, it's not necessarily a matter of "whoever makes the most power wins." You need to make power over a certain rpm range depending on your gearing and the track. Your numbers won't be as impressive as the next guy's, but he's left scratching his head as to why you've got 100HP less than he does and are smoking him

Anyway, if done right, I think it'd be fun. Plus, it might be fun to try different "engine manufacturers'" engines by downloading them. It might be fun and open up a new area for bragging rights
Attached images
engine sim 2.JPG
after reading all of the thread (phew), all i have to say is... NO
Why don't you tell us what you REALLY think?
@jtw62074 he hit the nail on the head with what i was trying to convey
@RMachucaA ???? whats that suppose to mean
If i must elaborate.

This is something which should be brought up when S3 is in development.

Right now, its fine to suggest it as you have, but in reality its quite pointless to discuss it so early. There are many, many other features which are a lot more important to gameplay\physics that need to be addressed.

One must decide whether one is going to do something or not at all before deciding where to fit it into her schedule. There's no harm in discussing things and dreaming up ideas in the mean time.
well, this is the place to do it, just dont demand it.
I don't recall anyone doing any such thing
Quote from jtw62074 :...

hmmm you almost have me convinced there ... but those curves deviate a bit too much to really get me excited
also could you estimate about how much time it would take to come up with an engine simulation thats at least as accurate as yours ?
Quote from Shotglass :hmmm you almost have me convinced there ... but those curves deviate a bit too much to really get me excited
also could you estimate about how much time it would take to come up with an engine simulation thats at least as accurate as yours ?

Interesting viewpoint. At peak power the error is only 4.5%, and that wider area past the peak is 10%. Below the peak torque the data was unknown and indeed should drop similarily to the sim curve. Average error is within 5%. That's with my wild guesses at flow rates at all the ports and so on. From an engineering standpoint that's considered excellent

Anyway, if I massage the flow rates and so forth it fits so closely you can barely see a difference, but that doesn't validate the model properly and to a science person it looks like obvious cheating to get the curves to fit

The amount of time it takes to write something like that completely depends on the individual. It took me several months and I've done it before a couple of times, so it's not a small task, unfortunately. A full blown 4-stroke model takes quite a bit longer to develop.
Quote :If i must elaborate.

This is something which should be brought up when S3 is in development.

Right now, its fine to suggest it as you have, but in reality its quite pointless to discuss it so early. There are many, many other features which are a lot more important to gameplay\physics that need to be addressed.
RMachucaA

if u look at my first post u will see i stated that already
Quote :
all in all it docent really matter who is right or wrong here. Adding such a feature as building your engine is a big upgrade. I don't expect scarwen to come here and be like this is what i got to work on. Before a system like this is implemented there are a several other things that really need to be added and fixed. Tire physics brake fade to name a few. I still do think such a feature needs to be added. though if it were to be added it would be far off, i see no harm in discussing it.

Build your own Engine
(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG