The online racing simulator
headset, and xfire, and just help please!!
i have an old headset (works[read on]) that has a single plug. it is a single speaker and microphone headset. when i plug it in to the front of my vista pc, it works depending on where i plug it. if i plug it in to the headphone jack, the speaker works, but not the mic, and if i plug it into the mic jack, only the mic works. where can i plug it into the computer for everything to work? also, with everything configured (set in the mic jack) xfire still doesn't let me use voice chat (i am new to it) it says it is disabled.

thank you for all responses! ;D
#2 - amp88
You'll need to configure Windows and/or Xfire to use the correct input/output device. If you have a set of speakers connected and you plug a set of headphones in, Windows won't know which you want to use. Xfire may also have problems. If you change the input and output in Windows, Xfire should be able to detect the default input/output. To change the input/output in Windows go to Control Panel, open the Sound icon and select the correct device in the Playback tab then click on Set Default. Do the same in the Recording tab. You may need to restart Xfire for these settings to take effect. If it still doesn't work after doing the above go into the Xfire options and look for a similar input/output selection option.
thx for a response, but where do i plug it in in the first place, to get both working.
You simply can't get a uni-jack headset to work on a PC system. There isn't a jack on any PC sound card or case that will have both headphone and mic in one.

What you need to do is find a way to split the jack into two seperate jacks. so one is mic and one is headphone. But for all the trouble it's going to be, I'd say it's more worth it to get a cheap headset.

Also, plugging that one into the speaker/headphone out isn't a good idea. you are sending one of the audio channels through the mic that way.
Quote from DragonCommando :You simply can't get a uni-jack headset to work on a PC system. There isn't a jack on any PC sound card or case that will have both headphone and mic in one.

What you need to do is find a way to split the jack into two seperate jacks. so one is mic and one is headphone. But for all the trouble it's going to be, I'd say it's more worth it to get a cheap headset.

Also, plugging that one into the speaker/headphone out isn't a good idea. you are sending one of the audio channels through the mic that way.

it is old, and worn, so i dont care about any damage done to it, and i have so many adapters, that i could probably make something work...but i will need a good headset sometime

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG